Replaced the recoil spring on my 1911

This is a discussion on Replaced the recoil spring on my 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, Kimber isn't kidding that you should do this regular. I was about 200 rounds overdue (had to get in 1 more trip to the ...

Thread: Replaced the recoil spring on my 1911

Replaced the recoil spring on my 1911

Wow, Kimber isn't kidding that you should do this regular. I was about 200 rounds overdue (had to get in 1 more trip to the range). That spring was worn. New one on top if you couldn't tell.

And while I was ordering the 3 pack of replacement springs I thought I might as well pick up this little gem for my Pro Carry 2(saves on shipping).

Now I have to wait patiently to get to the range in the morning and try it all out

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You're not kidding. That baby looks like it was made for a 3" 1911.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

How many rounds did the worn out spring have? Do they suggest replacement after a certain # of rounds or just when it begins to feel a certain way?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    How many rounds did the worn out spring have? Do they suggest replacement after a certain # of rounds or just when it begins to feel a certain way?
    just over 1000. Kimber recommends every 800 on the full size and pro models. I wonder if it didn't have a few rounds through it when I bought it. The gun does have quite a bit more snap when the slide is released now.

Wow. This stuff sure can sneak up...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Great pic example of just what spring fatigue looks like.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Crazy. I can't believe that you have to change the springs so often.

I was thinking, like maybe, 10,000 would be good...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Try the Chrome Silicon recoil springs from Falcon Arms. They are like the Energizer Bunny & are great ultra reliable springs. Here is the link.

Falcon Arms

Look into some ISMI springs..great stuff. Last long.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Wolff makes the springs for Kimber. Wolff's engineers told Kimber the spring was too short and demonstrated it to them to no avail. Call Wolff and get "their" recoil spring for the 4" pro series and have them explain the the situation to you. Very nice people to deal with and problem solved.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Look into some ISMI springs..great stuff. Last long.
    Another vote for ISMI, although Wolff springs are good, too, and they are great people. Mark Cosat, who started ISMI, knows his stuff and is a fine fellow.

When I saw this post, I first counted the coils on both springs, to see if the original was one of the many that were about 4 coils too short. I've "fixed" lots of 4" Kimbers that wouldn't feed off a full magazine because of those. Nope, both the original and the new one have 14 1/2 coils, by my count.

I recommend to folks that the recoil springs on the 3" and 4" guns should be replaced at 500-750 rounds. The chrome silicon springs will go longer without taking too much set, typically 1000 rounds or so. All springs take some set right away, and that won't hurt. Full-size 5" guns can go MUCH longer, 5000 rounds or more, since the heavier slide and longer spring tunnel length at full recoil are much more forgiving and less abusive to the springs. The lighter slides and faster cycling of the short guns make them much more prone to malf when the recoil spring has too much set.

It's also a good idea to replace magazine springs at the same time. The short guns are prone to last-round override jams when the mag spring gets weak.

Some springs actually take a "set" when first installed (esp. Wolff I believe). That spring may already be noticeably shorter if pulled out after a few rounds. ISMI springs I think are not supposed to take an initial set. All depends on how the spring is designed.

** Somehow I missed Rusty's reply right above mine, he beat me to it by a couple hours! **

You definitely need to replace your springs on schedule, especially if it's a shorter 1911.

Now, you cannot base anything on how the spring looks! I fell into this a while back and replaced all of my mag springs (around 40 mags) when they looked worn.

The thing is, this happens quickly, but does not change the spring weight. The only way to tell is with a gauge. Now, I have no doubt it was time for you to change, but side-by-side is no way to compare springs.

Just figured I'd mention it and try to save you some hassle. Do this - Get two new 1911 mag springs. Put one in a mag and leave the other out. load the mag, leave it loaded for a few day, then take it out and compare them. it'll be an inch or so shorter. It got me worried the first time I saw this then I saw a write-up about springs on another forum. Ever since, I've based it on round count alone.

Stock up!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Wow....didn't know they required replacement so often. My CBOB (commander length) has 800 rounds through it now. Just past the "break in" period. Does that mean that I have to replace the recoil spring after another 200rounds? Seems like it should last longer.

CBOB commander length recoil spring should be good for 2000-3000 rounds of standard pressure ammo.
    Jim

Links