How is Magnum Research customer support?

This is a discussion on How is Magnum Research customer support? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I bought the bull (Taurus) and I got the horns, as everyone says. So having learned a valuable ($$$$) lesson, I'm probably going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Magnum Research customer support?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

How is Magnum Research customer support?

Okay, so I bought the bull (Taurus) and I got the horns, as everyone says.

So having learned a valuable ($$$$) lesson, I'm probably going to do what my instincts told me to do in the first place: get a Micro Desert Eagle.

But first: If I get one and take it to the range the FIRST time and there's a problem, will Magnum Research stand behind me or will I get the runaround and a two-month wait like with Taurus?

So do any of you have personal experience with their support? So far, I've heard nothing but good things.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

While I don't own anything from Mangum Research and therefore don't have any personal experience with their CS I would strongly recommend buying one of the other fine .380 pistols out there that have withstood the test of time and seem to have all the bugs worked out. Going with an LCP or P3at would probably be your safest bet.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    While I don't own anything from Mangum Research and therefore don't have any personal experience with their CS I would strongly recommend buying one of the other fine .380 pistols out there that have withstood the test of time and seem to have all the bugs worked out. Going with an LCP or P3at would probably be your safest bet.
    Well....I really like the construction and looks of the MDE. Everyone seems to have one of the two you mentioned and they just don't really "grab" me.

-miklcolt45

Look at it this way then, why is Magnum Research typically not mentioned when listing reliable or sought after firearms? You may like the way a '73 Pinto looks but it doesn't mean it would be a wise investment. I've never had experience with their CS.

well I have never had an issue with my .40 so I dont have any info on customer support, I haven't needed it (yet)

I have a MDE and have encountered pretty consistent FTE and FTRTB issues with it, and I have about 350 rounds using a good variety of FMJ and HP makes. I called them after about 200 rounds about the problem and the only thing they wanted to talk about was that they would charge me for a cleaning if they didn't find anything wrong with the gun. So I didn't send it in. I plan on giving them a call and sending it in this time. Based on my first encounter I don't expect them to send me pre-paid shipping box like some companies would provide. I would also say that, while being a pretty accurate weapon for what it is, it is not much fun at all to shoot - and that is even compared to my Seecamp .32. I would not purchase it again, given the other options of .380s out there. Of course your experience may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by helodriver View Post
    I have a MDE and have encountered pretty consistent FTE and FTRTB issues with it, and I have about 350 rounds using a good variety of FMJ and HP makes. I called them after about 200 rounds about the problem and the only thing they wanted to talk about was that they would charge me for a cleaning if they didn't find anything wrong with the gun. So I didn't send it in. I plan on giving them a call and sending it in this time. Based on my first encounter I don't expect them to send me pre-paid shipping box like some companies would provide. I would also say that, while being a pretty accurate weapon for what it is, it is not much fun at all to shoot - and that is even compared to my Seecamp .32. I would not purchase it again, given the other options of .380s out there. Of course your experience may be different.
    Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for. That doesn't rule the MDE out for me, but it provides some food for thought. One thing that turns a lot of people off to the MDE is the weight. The only place I pocket carry is at home and I currently carry a Taurus PT145, so the MDE wouldn't bother me a bit in this regard.

-miklcolt45

I have fed my MDE everything I've been able to buy Remington FMJ, Winchesrter HP, Buffalo HCL, Fiochi FMJ. Never a FTF or FTE since it came out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Well....I really like the construction and looks of the MDE. Everyone seems to have one of the two you mentioned and they just don't really "grab" me.
    Thats true a lot of people do own them and that says a lot for those guns, do some research on the internet. I did and I decided on the LCP, looks should not really factor in your decision.

Buddy has mde. ~200 rounds wwb with no feed or extraction issues. fit and finish seem excellent compared to poly .380's I have handled. He loves it. My only issue with it is the trigger pull. extremely long and tough..I tend to flinch before it fires, and have never had this happen with any other weapon. BTW my .40 BDE stainless no issues whatsoever so no exp.with MR CS..

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    looks should not really factor in your decision.
    It doesn't. What I want is a gun I can trust. It's not the looks of the LCPs and Kel-Tecs that turns me off; they just feel "cheap" somehow (no offense meant to LCP owners).

I just like the metal construction of the MDE.

-miklcolt45

I'd say take a look at a Kahr P380. Mine had problems and had to go back to the factory, but it shipped on Kahrs dime on a Monday and was back to me that Friday. IMO excellent customer service, plus the gun has been flawless since it was returned.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Not the greatest customer support so far. I have been trying for 2 days to contact them. The phone rolls to a voicemail box which they have not responded to by calling me back. Sending to the email address has yet to illicit a response either. Hopefully they make up for it once I finally get to speak with them.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Have you looked at CZ? I believe the Micro Desert Eagle is a clone of a CZ pattern gun. It might be a better option.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    That little thing kicks a lot. Tough to control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links