LCP - Sheared takedown pin

LCP - Sheared takedown pin

This is a discussion on LCP - Sheared takedown pin within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my wife shooting today - she wanted to practice with her LCP, which is an early (recall, 370-series) gun. After about 5 mags worth ...

Thread: LCP - Sheared takedown pin

Angry LCP - Sheared takedown pin

Took my wife shooting today - she wanted to practice with her LCP, which is an early (recall, 370-series) gun.

After about 5 mags worth of firing, I notice that the head of the takedown pin has sheared off, and is laying on the bench!

I'm not exactly sure at what point it sheared off, so I guess the good news is that the pistol continued to function.

I called Ruger, and they emailed me a return label, UPS Next-Day Air. I boxed the pistol up, and off it went back to the mother ship. Estimated turnaround is 2 weeks. They said they will check the whole pistol out and test fire it with at least 24 rounds before sending it back.

I also mentioned the frame pin walking issue to them (the pins start to shift out of the frame under recoil), and they are going to check that out, too.

I'm disappointed that her gun broke, but it does seem that Ruger is willing to make it right. My experience with their service in the past has been positive. They are picking up the freight as well.

Just to make sure it wasn't the ammo (S&B, which was very dirty), I ran 70 rounds through my own LCP. No issues whatsoever - but my LCP is a newer 372-series gun. Mine does not experience the frame pin walking issue, either.

So, for the next few weeks, she'll be carrying my LCP, and I'll be back to my G19 or G26 in my Smartcarry - which is not really such a bad thing...

I checked over at the Elsie Pea Forum, and there are other reports of similar happening...though the lady on the phone at Ruger claimed to have never heard of such an issue.

So - keep an eye on those takedown pins!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It's good to know that the LCP continued to function. I hope everything turns out well.

Next time buy a Kel Tec P3AT.

Wife and mine have been 100% with many hundred rounds through them.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

On a more positive note - I ran the target (ICE-QT) out to 50 feet (as far as I can on this indoor range). I was able to hit the vitals with all my shots, no problem - even with the marginal sights. Since my laser is zeroed for 21 feet, I used the iron sights at 50 instead of the laser - but either would have worked.

I continue to be amazed at the accuracy of this little gun.

With the possibility of an active-shooter scenario increasing (since al-Quaeda wannabes can't seem to make a bomb that will actually ignite), I'm thinking I need to practice more long-range handgun shots.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Next time buy a Kel Tec P3AT.

Wife and mine have been 100% with many hundred rounds through them.
    I think the issue is related to my wife's gun being an early one. It always seems gun makers have issues with their new models. Kel tec did. So did Sig. Even Glock seems to have some issues with their new Gen 4 pistols. I had two early Kahrs - lots of problems.

I broke my "don't buy a new gun model until it has been out for at least a year" rule when the LCP first came out, because my wife did not like either the PM9 or the snubbies she tried. She did like the LCP, so I bought it for her.

Mine has been flawless, with several hundred rounds through it so far.

We'll see what Ruger does...
    CT Lasers

Sorry to hear about that. I haven't had any issues with mine in over 1,000+ rounds Mine is also a newer 372-series gun.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Talking Kudos to Ruger's customer service - again!

Got my wife's LCP back from Ruger today, in only 11 days.

They essentially replaced everything except the frame and barrel - all the other components are new (slide, frame pins, hammer, springs, takedown pin, etc). They also function checked it with a 24-round test firing.

Cost to me? ZERO. They even paid for the shipping both ways.

I will clean it up and take it to the range myself to do some more test firing, but so far, I'm pleased with their resolution. It's almost a whole new gun!

Once again, another good experience with Ruger's customer service!
    CT Lasers

Sounds like Ruger has some decent customer service. As far as I'm concerned they went above and beyond just addressing your problem.

So far, neither my wife or I have had any problems with our LCP's. Mine is a 372 series and hers is a newer 373 series. Both are the post recall versions.

I've had around 700 or so rounds down range and she's had a couple hundred.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Sounds like Ruger has some decent customer service. As far as I'm concerned they went above and beyond just addressing your problem.
    I think you're right. Seems like they took the opportunity to rebuild her pistol into a post-recall gun, with all the latest modifications.

I'm sure Ruger has lost money on this. But they did the right thing for the customer anyway. This is why I own more Rugers than anything else.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Got my wife's LCP back from Ruger today, in only 11 days.

They essentially replaced everything except the frame and barrel - all the other components are new (slide, frame pins, hammer, springs, takedown pin, etc). They also function checked it with a 24-round test firing.

Cost to me? ZERO. They even paid for the shipping both ways.

I will clean it up and take it to the range myself to do some more test firing, but so far, I'm pleased with their resolution. It's almost a whole new gun!

Once again, another good experience with Ruger's customer service!
    Eleven days. Not bad at all, and with a mostly new upper to boot. Congrats.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

As an owner of an LCP I was following this. I'm glad they did you right and it makes me feel better about mine as well.

Took the LCP to the range today, fired about 100 rounds, including some Hornady Critical Defense.

I only had one fail-to-feed that was my fault - I either didn't seat the mag properly, or I bumped the mag release with my fat thumb.

The walking frame pin issue has also been resolved - I noted no shift.

So - I'm happy with Ruger's service, and with this fine little pistol.
    CT Lasers

Glad it's back in service for ya 10thmtn.

The LCP is fine little pistol for sure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Question LCP generations?

I compared my wife's rebuilt "old" LCP with my newer (or is it now older?) LCP.

I noted that the shape of the cutout in the slide in the area of the takedown pin is different...mine is rectangular, while hers is sloped in the front.

I also noted that the left side of the breech at the rear of the barrel is squared on mine, but angled on hers.

Wondering which is the "latest" version, and if it matters?
    CT Lasers

Sponsored Links