40/357s Conversion Range Report

This is a discussion on 40/357s Conversion Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot a G32 (357sig) with a converted 40sw lone wolf barrel and a G32 mag - and Had several FTEs & quite a few FTCs. ...

Thread: 40/357s Conversion Range Report

Shot a G32 (357sig) with a converted 40sw lone wolf barrel and a G32 mag - and Had several FTEs & quite a few FTCs. I couldn't figure out the problem, until I tried G23 (40sw) mags and it worked fine. I always read and heard the 357/40 were the same mags but apparently not. Later on, I tested the subcompact G33 with 40sw barrel and same deal, several FTCs. Put in the 40 mag - no issues! Just passn on the info becuase most people say all you need is a barrel swap.

I'm curious to know if the issues would have been the same if I was going from 40sw TO 357s. I thought these 2 pistols were identical expect for the barrel and mag.

PS - Very Accurate Barrels!

A slightly steeper feed angle is required for the .357 Sig rounds due to them being a necked down .40 S&W. I've known about it for a while now, just have to turn over the right rocks with the forum's search function and you'll find posts about the same issue.

I'm sure someone here is not technologically inclined enough or maybe just lazy enough not to use the search function though, so you'll have helped them out.

I was just expressing my experience, wasn't really searching for an answer per se, but thanks.

In regards to the vice-versa, .357 Sig should feed just fine from the .40 S&W mags. Sorry if I sounded like an , sometimes I'm just really not mindful with my words
    Last edited by Sleipnir; June 8th, 2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Sometimes I can be a bit dyslexic, swapped the places of .357 and .40

No big deal. I was surprised and when I first started shooting, I was like ***?? But there is some difference int he mags, the confirmation came for me when I moved to the subcompact loaded the first 357sig magazine full of 40s, inserted the mag, racked the slide, and BOOM FTC. Moved to the 40mag for the 40s - no issues. I dont understand why the 357 mag would present problems but it did in 2 separate instances. I am sharing this because people have told me that it doesn't matter which way you convert for 40/357 but now I would beg to differ.

My S&WM&P357Sig using the same mags for 40S&W and 357Sig. I have not had any problems using either caliber. My EDC is the M&P357Sig Crimson Trace.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Having to buy a different caliber mag is still a cheaper way to have a different caliber handgun. So now it's $99 for the barrel and @$25 for a mag. No big deal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The mags on my Sig P226 work fine with .357 and .40. I have never had an issue. The gun was bought as a .40 with an additional .357 barrel.

More people seem to go from 40sw to 357s, while not as many go from 357s to 40sw.

My point with this thread, is I think it matters which way you go. Going form 40sw to 357s, no need for a 357s mag, whereas going form 357s to 40sw, does require a 40sw mag.

VIP Member
    Sounds like the bottle-necked .357 has less of an chambering issue than the .40. Glad you figured it out instead of bad-mouthing conversions in general. There's usually a simple solution to any gun issue; in your case it was as easy as a new mag.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like the bottle-necked .357 has less of an chambering issue than the .40. Glad you figured it out instead of bad-mouthing conversions in general. There's usually a simple solution to any gun issue; in your case it was as easy as a new mag.
    Yeah thanks, I'm a huge fan of conversions. When doing my research, most epople would say the 2 calibers are universal and completely interchangeable but that may not be the case, yo may need a mag as well when going form 357s to 40sw- no big deal, but just sayin. I would like to know if other people have had similiar issues when going form 357s to 40sw, not the other way around.

PS - I did have one FTC while using the 40 mag and 40 barrel but I think 1 here or there out of hundred+ rounds is acceptable.

VIP Member
    Oh, Lordy! Now you've done it! One FTC in a Glock? It's never to be trusted again!!! Definitely a defect.

I feel faint now.

Sig P239P (Single Stack)

Sig P239 magazines are sold in .40 and .357 and are marked as such. The .357 mag has little tabs that prevent loading .40's into it at all. Conversely, you can put .357 rounds in the .40 mag and the folks at the local toy store told me that the .40 mag was interchangeable and that I didn't need .357 mags.

I wrote directly to Sig and they said:

----------

Dear Sir

We added the tabs because when single stacked there is a chance the 357 Sig round could jam. You can definitely use them but, I would not use
    them in a carry situation were your life would depend on it.

I wish I would have went 40 first now.

Links