Aluminum grips on a Sig 228 (or 229)

This is a discussion on Aluminum grips on a Sig 228 (or 229) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who here has this combination? I'm contemplating switching from the factory polymer grips on my 228R to aluminum ones (I like the Sig branded grips ...

Thread: Aluminum grips on a Sig 228 (or 229)

Distinguished Member

Who here has this combination? I'm contemplating switching from the factory polymer grips on my 228R to aluminum ones (I like the Sig branded grips over the Hogues) for a reduction in size to get a better purchase on the trigger for the DA pull.

I found dimension differences for a 220 and it was ~1/10" difference (1.28" vs 1.18") in width which is pretty substantial and probably similar for all models, but I'm really more interested in how much the back strap gets reduced and I haven't been able to find that measurement.

My other question is feel and durability. Does the aluminum get real cold in the winter? Is it that noticeable? It's not like it's really going to be exposed to the cold, either inside my house or on my person. What about wear and tear? Do they scratch easy?

Like aluminum grips

I have the Hogue aluminum grips on two Sigs - a P239 and a P220 - and like them very much. The grips are thinner than the stock grips and the checkering is aggressive, giving a good grip on the gun. The perceived "temperature" of these aluminum grips seems the same to me as the temperature of the rest of the gun. If you are wearing the gun concealed, it is about the same as your body temperature.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, that's what I figured. Other places I read people made them out to seem like they were ice cubes.

Those are some nice looking Sigs you have there.

If you're having trouble getting to the trigger, try installing the short trigger. It's cheaper and would most likely reduce the trigger reach more than a 1/10" reduction in grip thickness would accomplish.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    If you're having trouble getting to the trigger, try installing the short trigger. It's cheaper and would most likely reduce the trigger reach more than a 1/10" reduction in grip thickness would accomplish.
    Thanks. I actually already have the short trigger installed.

I have small hands what can I say.

It was a big difference over any previous 229's I shot with a standard trigger. But my finger still isn't flat on the face so I'll pulling on the right side at the start of the pull. Although I don't seem to be pushing my shots left and dry firing shows I'm steady and target through the whole pull so maybe it's really a non issue that doesn't need fixing.

Distinguished Member
    Well after my last range session I was pushing my shots left so I went ahead and ordered the grips and they arrived today.

According to my calipers side to side thickness really wasn't reduced by all that much on my 228. Under 1/32" if at all. But the backstrap is where the aluminum grips shine. They are just about 1/16" thinner in the back and it was very easy to see when I was installing them with one side plastic and one side aluminum. The part of the strap were the V of your hand goes into is more concave and it allows a better grip on it as well as giving me more finger on the trigger as hoped/expected. I can't wait to get back to the range and see how they feel under fire.

Sponsored Links