Help me decide... G23??

Help me decide... G23??

This is a discussion on Help me decide... G23?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm seriously considering a Glock 23.... and, to be honest, I can't believe I just said that! Anyway, I have several things I need to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide... G23??

Help me decide... G23??

I'm seriously considering a Glock 23.... and, to be honest, I can't believe I just said that!

Anyway, I have several things I need to decide on to figure out exactly which variation I want. So here it goes...

1. I have shot a G23 C, and it really suprised me how manageable the recoil was. I am a 1911 shooter, so I'm used to larger calibers, but the last time I shot a .40 with any frequency, was a XD .40 that I owned as a younger shooter. The G23 C felt great compared to that old XD!... I don't necessarily want a ported gun, but will a non-compinsated G23 feel all that snappier?

2. What are the benefits of getting a RTF model over a standard gen 3? I have handled a FTF, and the texture felt, 'stickier,' if anything, but I don't have a preference one way or another.

3. I've never owned a Glock before, so I haven't been following the advancements intrduced in the 4th generation models. As I understand, a 23 is not available in the gen 4 treatment yet? Is there any telling when it will be available, and is there any reason to hold out for it?

Thanks for all input!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

If your smart you would grab a traditional Gen 3 Glock. The new Gen 4's don't really offer any great improvements over the Gen 3 and some have reported problems.
    As far as the "C" model goes is this going to be a carry gun, range gun, or both? If you are going to carry it you will have to take into consideration that shooting in a no-light or low-light situation it may temp. blind you making follow up shots harder.
    While I don't own any RTF models I have held and shot them. I personally am not a huge fan of the RTF. For me they are too abrasive compaired to the stock grip finish which to me does its job just fine.
    So my recommendation would be a stock Gen 3 G23
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Just a plain 'ole Goock...no 'C', no Gen-4, no RTF...you'll be very happy with the choice. Just add night sights and you are ready for action.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agreed, definitely no C and no Gen 4, RTF might be to abrasive, especially in an IWB without a T shirt.

i just bought my g23c yesterday shoots like a dream!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

The "C" isn't necessary, as i find the 23's recoil very easy to handle in standard form. Mine's a Gen3 and i haven't had any issues with it after 600+ rounds through it.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I never shot a compensated 23, but I I have a 3 d Gen 23 non C, and recoil is very manageable. The 23 and the G19 and probably two of the best battle arms ever built.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    1. Yes. I feel the "C" versions are fine for range and matches, but not SD. The Blast can be disturbing, especially in dim light/darkness.

2. Handle both and see which you prefer. I think you answered your own question with the "no preference" statement.
    I'm not crazy about the RTF. I don't have any issues with the "standard" grip on my Gen 3 G30.

3. The advantages (?) of the Gen 4 are improved (?) grip and reversible mag release. Again, handle the different Gens (Actual model is irrelevant) and see which you prefer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I owned a 23 some years ago and traded it because I feared my wife would accidently shoot something. Bought several guns to replace it, but wife never liked any of them. So I ended up getting her another 23. She loves it and it is the only one she enjoys shooting. She likes it better than my Sig P239 9mm, go figure!

I have a G23 and a G19 RTF2. I never thought I would like the RTF2 until I actually shot one. I am amazed at the difference between it and my standard G23. I can shoot my RTF w/o gloves all day without experiencing a degradation in grip. The gripping surface is very aggressive but can be tamed at a few key points to make it IWB friendly.

The trouble spots seemed to be the final column on the grip panels and backstrap. I used a foam sanding block with 900 grit paper to angle those in a little and allow the grip to gradually build. I can wear it IWB much better now.

I own two 23s, one of which has ridden in the door pocket of three pickups for a total of about 300,000 miles. Mine both are pre-finger-groove models (Gen. 2?). Except for the little 26/27 size guns, I do not like the finger groove grip frames in any version. I carried a G-32 (23-size, but in .357 Sig) for awhile, and never could warm up to it. If I were going to buy another 23, I'd look for a good, used, pre-finger-groove model, but that's a matter of personal preference.

As for the matter of being blinded by muzzle/port flash with the C-models, forget about it. I've done lots of low-light and nighttime shooting, with all manner of ported and unported guns. What little flash there is from the ports begins well out from the slide, and you'll be looking under it, not at it, when you shoot. Most .40 ammo has very little flash, anyway. Free tip: when shooting at night, close your weak eye. You'll keep your night vision that way, even with big muzzle flash.

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    Agreed, definitely no C and no Gen 4, RTF might be to abrasive, especially in an IWB without a T shirt.
    +1 all the way.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    I'm seriously considering a Glock 23.... and, to be honest, I can't believe I just said that!

Anyway, I have several things I need to decide on to figure out exactly which variation I want. So here it goes...

1. I have shot a G23 C, and it really suprised me how manageable the recoil was. I am a 1911 shooter, so I'm used to larger calibers, but the last time I shot a .40 with any frequency, was a XD .40 that I owned as a younger shooter. The G23 C felt great compared to that old XD!... I don't necessarily want a ported gun, but will a non-compinsated G23 feel all that snappier?

yes you will notice its snappier but not like night and day or anything..Id use the 23C if it were me I like C guns, yes even for CC I see no disadvantages and a lot of advantages. I dont think any of the muzzle flash crap you hear is even worrisome to me if I had it to do over id get the 23c and use it for cc/hd/sd. I shot a C in ALL light conditions while on the Police Dept and never ha a problem with it over the "regular" version even during night fire.

2. What are the benefits of getting a RTF model over a standard gen 3? I have handled a FTF, and the texture felt, 'stickier,' if anything, but I don't have a preference one way or another.

Just a "stickier/more gripy texture other than that no advantage/disadvantage some like and or need that some hate it only you know..i know I didnt need it when I was a Glock guy b4 I dropped glocks from my cc lineup

3. I've never owned a Glock before, so I haven't been following the advancements intrduced in the 4th generation models. As I understand, a 23 is not available in the gen 4 treatment yet? Is there any telling when it will be available, and is there any reason to hold out for it?

not really get the 3rd gen and be happy..changeable backstraps is about the only good change. And some have had a bit of early teething pains ive heard over on glocktalk.com .

Thanks for all input!

my thoughts in bold

I have a G22, G23C & a G27.....love them all, the G23C is my EDC!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

There is some difference, in the recoil, between the 23 and the 23c.

But not so much that it can't be handled. The difference is just slight enough to notice.

Some have posted about the flash in low light conditions, I concur. Another thing to consider, is if you have to fire from retention, with the pistol close to your body and/or clothing.

Suppose, in a HD scenario, you take cover and fire next to something? Maybe a long shot, but if your too close to bedding, upholstery or drapes, you might have another problem to worry about.

At the end of the day, there's potential risks along with certain advantages. You alone can decide which is your priority.

The risks aren't certain, but possible. The advantage between compensated or not, in my estimation, are not noticeable enough to warrant the risks.

YMMV

ETA: I carry a G23 gen 3. I don't want for anything else, in a Glock that is
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links