Generation 4 Glocks

This is a discussion on Generation 4 Glocks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, just curious if there's any new info regarding the gen. 4 Glocks-good,bad or indifferent..iv'e heard mixed reviews..are the G19/G26 available yet ?...

Thread: Generation 4 Glocks

Generation 4 Glocks

hello all, just curious if there's any new info regarding the gen. 4 Glocks-good,bad or indifferent..iv'e heard mixed reviews..are the G19/G26 available yet ?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    hello all, just curious if there's any new info regarding the gen. 4 Glocks-good,bad or indifferent..iv'e heard mixed reviews..are the G19/G26 available yet ?
    Ive heard the same mix reviews ,but they said g19/g23 comes out in July..

Nothing to flip my skirt over with the new Gen 4 guns. People who look at them at the store, tend to buy the Gen3 guns, simply because of the feel vs the RTF guns.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'd be interested in a Gen 4 Glock 23. The SF grip is the main reason I would want one. The regular Glock grip has always had just a tad too long of a trigger reach for me. I am ambivalent about the RTF2 finish. It's ok, not a big deal one way or the other. It does add to the control of the pistol, and isn't too sharp like their other RTF option on the Gen 3 models. Another feature that should be nice is the double recoil spring. It is said to tame .40 recoil quite a bit in the Gen 4 Glock 22 model. If it does the same for the G23, that would be just about the perfect carry pistol for cool weather.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have a GEN 4 G17 and think it is outstanding. I much prefer the grip (texture) over the GEN 3. I agree it would be silly to upgrade if you have GEN 3 but I think any problems are a bit overblown. A couple people have had issues and posted about it. But who would make a post about a Glock working? That's like informing us the sky is blue. So far 500 rds of wallyworld federal champion and 50 rds of +P JHP without a hitch (or cleaning).

... I realize I sound like a fan-boy.. but eh, I like the gun.

My department just issued me a Gen 4 22. I've haven't shot it yet, qualification isn't until the end of the month (so we are still carrying the Beretta 96 for the moment). We also ordered some of the Gen 4 23s for detectives and command staff. I was supposed to get one too, just because I like the grip better, but as of yet the 23s haven't arrived. If they arrive before we go to the range I will probably turn in the 22 and get a 23. If not, I'll probably be stuck with the 22.

I would take it to the range on my own time and try it out, but I don't have any .40 S&W ammunition other than some duty ammo. I don't own a single pistol in .40 S&W, nor do I plan to. I'm not willing to spend any money on factory ammunition just so I can shoot the pistol before the range days come up. Its a Glock. It works like other Glocks, I'm not expecting to have problems or to be impressed. My reaction to all Glocks is pretty much a yawn, and I don't see why that would change.

I think the recoil spring feels heavier, which is probably a positive for the .40 S&W versions. The RTF2 frame is likely to wreck uniform shirts pretty rapidly without any real added benefit as far as I can tell. I like the magazine release better than previous versions, and the grip frame without one of the cheezy backstraps installed is a little more comfortable for me than the 3rd gen. I still hate the grip angle.

Overall, its a Glock, so not exciting, but serviceable.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Well, so far I've put about 600 rounds of WWB & Federal Champion (115 gr), 80 rounds of Cor-Bon 115 gr +P JHP, and 150 rounds of Remington 124 gr +P BJHP Golden Sabers through my Gen 4 G17 with no problems to report.

I love the SF grip. Glocks were never too big for my hand, but I can't believe how big of a difference 2mm makes. It just fits my hand so much better than my Gen 3 ever did. In fact, just this past weekend, while buying a GSG5 magazine and looking for an IWB holster, I handled a Gen 3 G19 and told them "Eh, I'll just wait until the Gen 4's come out. You ever get in any Springfield Mil-Specs or Loadeds in?" (No on both counts. Grrr...)

The RTF texture on the Gen 4 is more "subdued" than both the RTF1 and RTF2 textures. It's not as sharp or pronounced as either of those two, and so far has not shown to rub any of my shirts. I've only been carrying it for about 2 1/2 months though.

Not a fan of the backstraps. Not in the least. But since I don't use them anyway, it's not really much of an issue for me.

I also really like the new size of the magazine release button, but I have to wonder why square? It seems to me it would've been better if it was rounded off. But at least it's now reversible.

Which leads me to this: Why not just make the mag release ambidextrous instead of reversible?

Just my experiences with it so far. It's not the "be all, end all" of combat handguns, but I'm pretty happy with mine so far.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    I have a GEN 4 G17 and think it is outstanding. I much prefer the grip (texture) over the GEN 3. I agree it would be silly to upgrade if you have GEN 3 but I think any problems are a bit overblown. A couple people have had issues and posted about it. But who would make a post about a Glock working? That's like informing us the sky is blue. So far 500 rds of wallyworld federal champion and 50 rds of +P JHP without a hitch (or cleaning).

... I realize I sound like a fan-boy.. but eh, I like the gun.
    Who would make a post about a Glock working? You obviously have not spent a lot of time on this forum then. On a given day you can read about 3-5 threads about Glock fanboy gushy love.

At the end of the day, the jury is still out on Gen 4 and just as any other new firearm that comes out, it will need time and to have been put through the paces. Just because they are Glock's don't mean we will take their word for it.

As I have mentioned before, Gen 2 or 3 is just fine for most folks. If I want the other features like grip changes, I would buy a proven firearm like an M&P or HK until these bugs get fixed.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The RTF finish on the production Gen 4 is toned down somewhat from what many of us have felt on their "trial" models. If you felt the grip on one of the models with the "scalloped or chevroned" slide grooves (another trial) it is much rougher than what is currently produced. I hated the initial RTF but find the production version better.

As for the ambi-mag release, not every one likes or wants one. The reversible release is more suitable for r/h or l/h preference.

I also found the Gen 4 to fit my hand better without the extra backstraps. I feels better to me than any of the SF grips.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I also found the Gen 4 to fit my hand better without the extra backstraps. I feels better to me than any of the SF grips.
    The Gen 4 without any added backstraps is the SF grip. (Short frame) The next size up when you add a backstrap is the normal "hump" grip like the Gen 3, and the next size up is the large grip.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Our Academy is leaning towards the Gen 4 but it's too close to call against the S&W M&P. The Gen 3 Glocks we have are 10 years old and have served us exceptionally well. We treat them like step kids and they keep on ticking. I don't know if the Polymer will degrade over long periods of time but it seems like the Glock is one of the most durable pistols ever mass produced. Oh, and I'm a Revolver-Lover saying this :-)

I'd like to have a G21 in Gen 4, but that's a slow train coming I imagine.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I've had my Gen4 G17 for a bit now and have had no issues and nothing I don't like about it. It is the first Glock I've owned so its hard to say if its "better" than the Gen3. The only compelling reason I'd see trading a Gen3 for a Gen4 is if you are a lefty and want the reversible mag release. I like the RTF2 better than I thought I would. Its not overly aggressive to the point my hand is sore after hundreds of rounds at a single range session, such as I've experienced with other guns.

If you are in the market for a Glock, might as well get the Gen4.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

For now, I'll stick with my generations 2.5's and 3's...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Gen2 and a Gen4 G17. I prefer the Gen4. None of the various changes that were made from the Gen3 to Gen4 changes is a very big deal by itself, but in combination the are a significant improvement in my opinion. I've only got about 750 rounds through my pistol, but I haven't had any problems with it yet. Some people have a few issues out to about 300 rounds and a very few people beyond that. I hope to buy a Gen4 G19 later this year.

Links