Colt M1991A1 anyone else have one?

This is a discussion on Colt M1991A1 anyone else have one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up this model years ago (probably 20+) and I've been carrying it and shooting it, and loving it, ever since. I bought it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt M1991A1 anyone else have one?

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Colt M1991A1 anyone else have one?

I picked up this model years ago (probably 20+) and I've been carrying it and shooting it, and loving it, ever since. I bought it used back when you could do that easily. I've never had a hiccup from it but I have had a couple of small belches due to ammo. Am I the only guy on the planet with one? With the exception of the grips and sights I "think" this one is stock.
    Last edited by svgheartland; June 10th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

I have been looking for one for about 10 years, just never had the money when I found one.

I have one, bought it new, about 425.oo as I recall, right when they first came out. It was my second handgun, right after a Taurus 669 Vent Rib .357.
    Never had a malfunction, but when I first got it, it wouldn't group at all, shots were all over the target, the 11 1/2 pound trigger didn't help. Had a trigger job done, it did much better, but it wasn't until I put in a full length recoil spring guide from Accusystems that it showed what it was capable of. It's my main carry piece, with a Bersa .380 for backup or light carry.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Mine must have had trigger work done somewhere in the past I would now guess, based on your 11 1/2 # comment. Wow.... My groupings have never been bad but you've got my interest on the Accusystems upgrade. They've never been great either but I attributed that to barrel length. Is yours happy with hp's?
    Savage Heartland

Mine is a Commander with Novak night sights, BT grip safety, and Wilson Guide rod. I picked it up for $650 two years ago, have put 5000 rounds through it with no trouble whatsoever. There's no counting the number of rounds through it since it belonged to two LEOs about 4 times before I got it. It's my EDC gun. Love it, and so does the guy at the range who has a standing offer to buy it if I ever get tired of it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 1911LOD; June 10th, 2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Insert image.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    I have one, bought it new, about 425.oo as I recall, right when they first came out. It was my second handgun, right after a Taurus 669 Vent Rib .357.
    Never had a malfunction, but when I first got it, it wouldn't group at all, shots were all over the target, the 11 1/2 pound trigger didn't help. Had a trigger job done, it did much better, but it wasn't until I put in a full length recoil spring guide from Accusystems that it showed what it was capable of. It's my main carry piece, with a Bersa .380 for backup or light carry.

One more question. You carry yours daily. The parkerizing on my frame hasn't held well over time. I have to be very attentive with it or a slight rust film will set up very quickly. This has been my primary hesitation in daily carry. Any issues for you? I suppose a daily wipe down would keep me ahead of the game but it niggles in the back of my mind.
    Savage Heartland

I've got one. Mine is a Commander model. No idea when it was made, my wife got it for me for Valentines day a few years ago (I got her a Glock 19, we're a "mixed marriage.") Mine is what they call an "Old Roll Mark" or ORM model. It has the 1991A1 in BIG letters down the left side of the slide. Later, they changed to a smaller roll mark.

As far as I know, Colt still makes them. They're a slightly less expensive model than the top of the line Colts. What the exactly differences are I don't know. I asked once on the 1911 board, and got an answer, but have forgotten now. Mine has a parkarized finish and has apparently had some work done to since the trigger isn't stock, nor is the beavertail grip safety, and it has a recoil buffer installed. I've been told that the grips aren't the stock ones either, but have no idea if that's true or not; they are Colt grips. The trigger is the best I've ever fired.

I don't shoot it a lot, but it's a nice gun. The only problem I ever had with it came from one magazine. Once I tossed that mag, it runs 100%.

Edited to add. My finish is worn as you can see in the picture, but I've never seen a spot of rust anywhere on it, and I don't do anything to it, other than a wipedown with a clean cloth to get any dust off.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I have one, its my first 1911. I picked it up off another member for $475. I love it so much I think it may have started an addiction. I now want a smaller 1911 for CCW.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

I've got one. It's functional, not especially accurate, but reasonable. If you don't like the drop safety, Brownells does sell filler plates so you can remove the levers and plunger, making it a Series 70.

I have a Rock River, a Wilson and a Springfield--I prefer them to be honest. The Colt is okay, as 1911s go. If I really wanted an 8 round carry gun, I'd half load a GLOCK and call it good...<g>
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

My grandfather has one. My grandmother gave it to him as a retirement gift, I believe. He said it is mine next time I come visit him.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I've bought 2, both stainless with the ORM. I gave one to my nephew for his 18th birthday, the other I carry from time to time, and shoot often. The 1991 is a great base gun, a starting point if you want to 'build your own'. Both mine and a friends have very acceptable triggers.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I just picked one up a couple days ago. It's a series 80 with a Clark accuracy job. Bought it used out of the local gun shop. Can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    My grandfather has one. My grandmother gave it to him as a retirement gift, I believe. He said it is mine next time I come visit him.
    By Hon, going to visit Granddad!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I bought a .38 Super from a shop in NJ about a month ago for $500, looked like it had never been shot.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Mine must have had trigger work done somewhere in the past I would now guess, based on your 11 1/2 # comment. Wow.... My groupings have never been bad but you've got my interest on the Accusystems upgrade. They've never been great either but I attributed that to barrel length. Is yours happy with hp's?
    Mine does just fine with HP's, The parkerizing is a bit worn near the muzzle, I wipe it down each day with a oily cloth. I've thought about some of the rust inhibitor treatments though, haven't tried them yet.
    As to the Accusystems recoil spring guide, I don't know if they're still in business, I found mine at a gun show back in the mid 90's, It's different from any other I've seen, The rear portion of the guide rod is a spring loaded hook, which fits on each side of the barrel link, and the spring tension takes up the slack in the barrel link, granted I could get the same result by precise fitting a new link, but this works quite well. My only complaint is that I didn't get the commander size, I've fired a commander since then, and they fit and point in my hand much better than a full size goverment model. But, that's a minor issue.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links