Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle - Page 2

Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle

This is a discussion on Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Life is short...so little money and so many guns. Talk you out of it, nope! If it's calling your name, go grab it!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle

Senior Moderator
    Life is short...so little money and so many guns.
    Talk you out of it, nope! If it's calling your name, go grab it!
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

If you get it and don't like it, what's the trade in value, or how much would it bring on Gunbroker?

If you get it and it malfunctions, or has some other problem, how's Desert Eagle customer service?

Like SIXTO said, can you get a holster?

I'm not familiar with the micro DE and I've not compared the micro DE to anything; but apparently it's about the same size as a LCP or P3AT, cost more, and is a 380.

If you decide to buy it, "hey everybody, watch this..." please do a follow up thread with pics and your shooting experience.

I have a MDE and a Kahr PM9. I have 360 rounds through the MDE that have been wrought with problems - FTE and FTRTB, trigger is very long, minimal sights. I have 260 flawless rounds through the PM9, which has a great DAO trigger and real sights (P380 similar in both respects). The second I can find a Kahr P380 at a shop that will give me money for my MDE, the MDE is gone. For the extra $100 or so, IMHO there is no comparison between the P380 and the MDE.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Shop for a holster first. Go to your favorite local gun store and buy a couple spare mags. Then try to buy a few random parts for it.

Still want one?
    The holster is no problem. I would get this one:

Magnum Research sells the spare mags.

Random parts? I don't know.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    Well, dangit. Now I want one. Thanks.

Not really.

I'm sure you've looked at online reviews, but here's a link in case: Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle .380 ACP Pocket Pistol

If Jeff Quinn likes it and it's made in the good ol' USA, it's a done deal...or not. It looks rather cheaply made. Not to mention, it hit every branch when it fell out of the Ugly Tree.
    I've read his article already. he says:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Quinn
    Like most of the new breed of pocket .380 ACP pistols, this new Micro Desert Eagle is a good one. It weighs a few ounces more than the lightest ones, which may be a negative, or may be a positive, depending upon your desires. While still pretty light weight, the extra heft helps control recoil, and gives the little Micro Eagle a “real gun” feel to, for lack of a better term. It is very comfortable in the hand, and very comfortable to shoot, while still being smaller than some of the other pocket .380 pistols. It has a unique design, and appears to be very well-crafted out of quality materials. It is not the cheapest pocket .380 on the market, nor was it intended to be. “Cheap” is not the main factor when choosing a fighting gun. Still, it is a good value, built right, and made in the USA. I like it, and would depend upon the Micro Desert Eagle as a daily carry gun. It is what a pocket auto should be; compact, rugged, easy to shoot, and rock-solid reliable.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by helodriver View Post
    I have a MDE and a Kahr PM9. I have 360 rounds through the MDE that have been wrought with problems - FTE and FTRTB, trigger is very long, minimal sights. I have 260 flawless rounds through the PM9, which has a great DAO trigger and real sights (P380 similar in both respects). The second I can find a Kahr P380 at a shop that will give me money for my MDE, the MDE is gone. For the extra $100 or so, IMHO there is no comparison between the P380 and the MDE.
    I've looked at the Kahrs, also, and they seem to be really nice.

How is their customer support? Any idea on that? I also like the idea of 9mm over 380.

-miklcolt45

I know what cha mean. I've got the Sig P238 on the brain and can't get rid of it. I have the Interarms PPK, the LCP and the DB380 now and still looking for that perfect pocket .380. I love the PPK and honestly believe it's one, if not the best .380s out there, but it's just to large and heavy for a true pocket auto. The others are excellent pistols as well but for me, the slide lock and single action trigger is a nice option that I've recently decided is a must have for my carry weapons. I got the DB380 cause I thought due to the locking breach that I could run the hotter defense rounds in it, but now I'm seeing that the slide may fail if using over-pressured ammo. After reconsidering my options and what I really want in my carry .380s here's what I've come up with.

1, Must be absolutely reliable. = PPK, LCP
    2, I want the slide to lock open on last round. = PPK only
    3, Would like for it to handle +p or hotter DF loads. = PPK only
    4, Would like to have the SA trigger for faster and more accurate follow-up shots. = PPK only
    5, Small enough to fit in the pocket and not feel like a brick.= DB380 or the LCP

The way I see it, the only pocket .380 that pretty much fills this criteria is the PPK, or the Sig P238. I never gave it much thought but I really do miss the slide lock on empty function when I practice. The +p thing really comes in last in consideration, but the SA trigger really is nice and until lately I really didn't realize how much it helps when practicing double taps.

If it was me, I'd take a look at the factors involved and compare the options available before taking the plunge on the MDE. I'm not gonna recommend another pistol to ya, but IMO the Sig P238 is the better of most all pocket autos out there and I'll be picking one up in the near future. FWIW.

Good luck with your decision.

GBK

I have a PM9 and like it.
    Approximately +-400 rounds through it Mostly +P (CorBon, Remington 115) and +P+ (Federal 115)
    Even with the +P+ the recoil isn't as bad as the PM40.

The PM9 pistol isn't as small as a LCP; I have pocket carried both, but prefer the LCP for pocket carry (due to weight, increased concealment and speed of draw). However, the PM9 carries the additional power of the 9mm round.

MDE is my EDC. No problems at all. I would prefer the slide locked open after the last round, but that was no deal breaker for me. It is a bit hard to field strip till you get the hang of it. Over all though a well made reliable piece in my experience.

Thanks, everyone. This has been a dilemma all the way around.

I like the Sig P238, but I keep hearing about reliability/QA issues with them.

I like the Micro Desert Eagle, but I'm hearing mixed reports on them.

I've never been crazy about the .380 round, but there aren't many more options for pocket carry except *maybe* a Kahr PM9.

But the input from everyone helps.

-miklcolt45

I know you said not to recommend other guns instead (LCP, etc.), but I would say if you want to be talked out of the Micro Desert Eagle, then get on the preorder waiting list for THIS: Boberg Arms

It kindof looks like the Micro Desert Eagle but it's a 9MM and it takes +P. A true pocket 9 and less expensive than the Rohrbaugh, plus it appears to be tough as a tank.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

GM
    Obviously you have already made your mind not matter what, then go for it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I know nothing about the MDE except to my eye it is butt ugly. Sorry.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I know nothing about the MDE except to my eye it is butt ugly. Sorry.
    Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder (or the "beer holder," as some would say). To me, the MDE is the most attractive of the pocket pistols next to maybe the Kahrs or Seecamps.

-miklcolt45

I picked up the 2010 version of Pocket Handguns. They reviewed the MDE and said some good stuff about it, but they did not like shooting it - it was not fin to shoot.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links