Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle

This is a discussion on Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dear friends, I need your help as I am in dire straights. I am being pulled against my will into buying a Micro Desert Eagle. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Micro Desert Eagle

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Dear friends, I need your help as I am in dire straights. I am being pulled against my will into buying a Micro Desert Eagle. Don't I want to buy it? No. But it keeps calling to me, beckoning as I go about my daily routine. It is now becoming almost an obsession.

But seriously.... I held one again tonight. The longer I stood there checking it out, the more I wanted it. There are only two things that slightly don't appeal to me: the slide doesn't lock back and it's not rated for +p ammo. Neither is a deal breaker.

So let's hear your input. Please don't recommend a different gun. Yes, I'm sure the LCP is excellent and I already just sent a TCP back to Taurus after ONE mag. I'm also very aware of the Kel-Tec, etc... I strictly want your thoughts on the MDE.

Discuss!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

It sounds like you have your mind made up already.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Are you locked into .380? There are many other defense rounds that are, generaly, more effective, and are not all that much larger of a frame, if larger at all. Take a look at the Walther PPS... available in 9mm and .40, and with the exception of some growing pains when the pistol was new on the market, I have heard no bad press on them.

Just my oppinion, but I have no desire to own anything MRI is making, I've heard bad things about their longevity, and the only thing that they are actually desigining, engineering, and manufacturing is the full bore Desert Eagle, and possibly their revolver. Everything else is just relicensed.

BUT, at the end of the day, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford, and what you trust.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

We have one at the Store, brand new, for about 480.00 Personally, it doesn't fit my hand well, has a large trigger guard, and is a bit bulky. Just my .02 worth.
    A lot of people ask what it is, and then move onto looking at other 380 pistols for less money. if it fits your hands, and fills your requirements for a CCW gun, then I gues the choice is yours.

BTW the one we have, has been there for almost a year. That in itself probably should be telling you something.
    Good luck in your decision
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Are you locked into .380?
    Funny that you should say that. I'm very much a "45 guy" and always have been. In fact, I've said on occasion that I would never carry a .380. That's what I get for saying "never."

There are many other defense rounds that are, generaly, more effective, and are not all that much larger of a frame, if larger at all. Take a look at the Walther PPS... available in 9mm and .40, and with the exception of some growing pains when the pistol was new on the market, I have heard no bad press on them.
    Believe me, I would prefer a larger caliber than a .380. The portability appeals to me, but it would always be in the back of my mind, "I'm carrying a .380."

Just my oppinion, but I have no desire to own anything MRI is making, I've heard bad things about their longevity, and the only thing that they are actually desigining, engineering, and manufacturing is the full bore Desert Eagle, and possibly their revolver. Everything else is just relicensed.
    Yeah, the MDE is a rebadged Kevin.

Thanks for the thoughts.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    We have one at the Store, brand new, for about 480.00 Personally, it doesn't fit my hand well, has a large trigger guard, and is a bit bulky. Just my .02 worth.
    A lot of people ask what it is, and then move onto looking at other 380 pistols for less money. if it fits your hands, and fills your requirements for a CCW gun, then I gues the choice is yours.
    BTW the one we have, has been there for almost a year. That probably should be telling you something. Good luck in your decision
    That's the best price I've seen anywhere on a new one. But I see your point about it not being the most in-demand item around.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    That's the best price I've seen anywhere on a new one. But I see your point about it not being the most in-demand item around.
    Most customers say it feels strange in their hands. The trigger pull is looong, and the trigger guard has the "Grendel 380" look to it.
    I 'd do a little more research on the gun, before I bought one.
    Ultimatly, the choice is yours, and yours alone.
    Ever consider a Seecamp 380? just a thought.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Most customers say it feels strange in their hands. The trigger pull is looong, and the trigger guard has the "Grendel 380" look to it.
    I 'd do a little more research on the gun, before I bought one.
    Ultimatly, the choice is yours, and yours alone.
    Ever consider a Seecamp 380? just a thought.
    I've looked at the Seecamps and I do like them. But the MDE is already more than I would want to spend on a .380.

But yeah, if I found a good deal on a Seecamp I would be all over it.

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    While I have not tried the Micro Desert Eagle a recent Combat Handguns article stated it is hard to fieldstrip and reassemble. Not to be a firearms snob but I did spend a little more and bought a Sig P238, also have a PPK, P3AT and Colt Government Model 380. Little guns are fun too.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Had one, sold it, wasn't impressed. Very heavy and bulky. Of course, that helped with recoil. .380 ammo is hard to find. Plus, its butt ugly!! Get yourself an LCP instead. BTW, was very EASY to fieldstrip. I'm surprised Combat Handguns said otherwise.

Administrator
    Shop for a holster first. Go to your favorite local gun store and buy a couple spare mags. Then try to buy a few random parts for it.

Still want one?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Well, dangit. Now I want one. Thanks.

Not really.

I'm sure you've looked at online reviews, but here's a link in case: Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle .380 ACP Pocket Pistol

If Jeff Quinn likes it and it's made in the good ol' USA, it's a done deal...or not. It looks rather cheaply made. Not to mention, it hit every branch when it fell out of the Ugly Tree.

Just saw the attached:

Kahr Arms Purchases Magnum Research!!!!! | The Firearm Blog

So, if you don't like Kahr, that's one more reason not to buy.

A local dealer had 2 of the little guns. He had them a long time and told me they just didn't sell. He said anyone who wanted one could get it for $400.00 out the door.
    Kahr pistols are a totally different story.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    But seriously.... I held one again tonight. The longer I stood there checking it out, the more I wanted it. There are only two things that slightly don't appeal to me: the slide doesn't lock back and it's not rated for +p ammo. Neither is a deal breaker.
    You know that there is no standard in the US for +P .380 ammunition right? +P is an official designation only for .38 Special, 9x19mm, .38 Super, .45 ACP, and .257 Roberts. Ammunition manufacturers who claim they make +P .380, .40 S&W etc. are doing one of two things, either loading up to maximum standard pressure and using the +P designation as a marketing gimick, or loading beyond standard pressure by some unknown and undefined amount. If I made a pistol chambered for something for which there was no accepted +P level of pressure I too would not advocate the use of it in my handgun; there is simply no way to know what insane level some company's overpressure ammunition might be loaded to.

So, I wouldn't use the fact that one .380 pistol or another isn't "+P" rated as a factor in my decision. I also wouldn't purchase or fire any .380 ammunition marked +P in any gun I owned. If you want more performance than standard pressure .380 ACP offers, get a gun chambered for something that offers more power. Trying to hotrod a cartridge that has weak brass and extremely limited power capacity isn't the answer.

As for the MDE, I've never fired one. I have looked at one in one of the local gun shops (where it has sat unsold for months). It seems like a decent pistol (for a .380), but I don't get the impression that it would be any easier to pocket carry than a lightweight 5-shot .38 Special. The choice is yours, but I'd pass.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links