MP or XD

This is a discussion on MP or XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own several XD's & have no complaints. They've been 100% as long as I've owned them. If I decided to switch to another polymer ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MP or XD

I own several XD's & have no complaints. They've been 100% as long as I've owned them. If I decided to switch to another polymer handgun, Glock would get my business long before S&W.

2. Remove Ads

I dunno; as an ex-XDm owner, and solid Glock afficianado...the M&P 9's that I've recently played with were kinda nice. I remember being rather unimpressed with them when they first came out but...I'm considering giving one a try.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    My best friend is getting rid of his XD and buying an M&P. His main concern is while at the range doing defensive drills, he pulled his XD out of his holster and it wouldn't shoot, because the grip safety was not depressed the right way. Now you can just train more and hope in a high stress situation that you grip your gun the right way. But I'm not convinced.
    Bull crap! Your friend made a mistake while drawing his gun and didn't have a correct grip. Don't blame the gun.

If he had the gun in his hand in any sort of correct fashion that would allow an even close-to-safe-shot the grip safety would have been depressed. I think this is a total lie you have been told by your friend.

The XD requires way less grip safety movement to be fully depressed than any 1911.

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Where are the other reasons?

Safeties have nothing to do with making this gun better than an XD.

Being an XD owner I do agree that a lower bore axis is a good feature of the M&P. Doesn't make it better though.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I don't own a xd but a buddy does(40sc). I shot it couple of different times when trying to decide. It was ok but not special-accuracy bad for me. Then shot m&p 40c and no comparison for me. Now I own 40c and 45c. Accuracy is great, ergos fit me better and so far completely reliable. Triggers feel terrible when dry firing but for me at least I don't notice it at all when live firing. Still considering apex upgrades to make a great gun even better. Good luck.

i sold my XD for my M&P. that says a lot. i really liked the XD. i never had a problem with it; i can't say anything bad about it. but ultimately what sold me on the M&P were the better ergos. it felt better in my hand too. haven't shot the m&p yet as i just bought it like 2 weeks ago. but i've shot my wifes m&p and as stated above me, dry fire trigger on the m&p is weird... but real fire, you don't notice it. i was really impressed with the m&p that i had to get one myself.

as was said, hold both, shoot both. see what feels better for you. they are both fantastic guns. the xd just wasn't for me.

I have an XD45 Tactical and absolutely love it. Put 800 rnds thru it in a 4 day weekend for self-defense training and not one single problem. No problems with the finish either, it looks great!
    G30SF XD45Tactical

Nek

I have both

I have both an XDm and two M&P's. All three have trigger jobs and without question the XDm is the superior trigger once it has been tuned and is the closest thing to a 1911 out of any striker fired pistol. For EDC I still stick with my M&P40c

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    They are not even in the same league. Go with the M&P.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have an XD 45 compact and It's been all "gussied up" with the obligatory night sights (in this case tritium fiber optic for enhanced daytime sighting for aging eyes) and a CT laser grip module (also to assist aging eyes). Plush I got a TON of high cap mags. I love the gun with just ONE exception/complaint: The force needed to retract the slide with the non-firing hand is unacceptable. I mean, it take AHNOLD sized strength to pull the slide back to full extension! I had to adjust my TECHNIQUE. Instead of simply pulling the slide to the rear to "show clear," I have had to firmly grasp the top of the slide over the rear sight with the non firing hand and PUNCH forward with the hand gripping the weapon (finger off the trigger of course). This results in a decisive live or empty round extraction and allows for a safety officer to verify weapon status in an idpa match. Still, I have to say, I dislike the requirement to adjust my technique in the first place! If I were going to do it again, I'd avoid the XD45. I have also discovered the XD 45 is too heavy for me to comfortably carry as EDC. So it becomes a trip gun. That's why I'm currently morphing back to a 1911, but that's a discussion for a new thread. For the purpose of THIS thread I have to recommend the M&P.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Bull crap! Your friend made a mistake while drawing his gun and didn't have a correct grip. Don't blame the gun.

If he had the gun in his hand in any sort of correct fashion that would allow an even close-to-safe-shot the grip safety would have been depressed. I think this is a total lie you have been told by your friend.

The XD requires way less grip safety movement to be fully depressed than any 1911.

Where are the other reasons?

Safeties have nothing to do with making this gun better than an XD.

Being an XD owner I do agree that a lower bore axis is a good feature of the M&P. Doesn't make it better though.
    Um first off I have my friend on video while drawing and not firing his gun. And a league shooter who his much more experienced told me the same thing when he first got his XD. SO NO I'M NOT LIEING.

M&P: Abidex slide release, grip angle, more aggressive slide serrations, stronger less snag-gable sights, the trigger feels like a trigger and not like a thin pin when your pulling it. removable grips so the gun fits your hand instead of you having to fit to the gun. reversible mag catch. MADE IN THE USA. slide rides on metal system.

You are disagreeing with a lot of people on this post. I had my friends XDsc9 and my dad's M&P9c shot one after another at the range by 5 different people. all shot one after the other side by side. 2 new shooters, 2 experienced shooters, and 1 very experienced shooter. When asked which one they liked better all replied the M&P and gave me various reasons why. The XD 2 didn't like because of the grip safety and higher bore axis. The XD is also is heavier than the M&P.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    The fact that one handed manipulations are an exercise in gymnastics due to the grip safety I will not own an XD. The M&P is a much better built pistol and can have an amazing trigger with a little home gunsmithing and parts from APEX tactical.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    The fact that one handed manipulations are an exercise in gymnastics due to the grip safety I will not own an XD. The M&P is a much better built pistol and can have an amazing trigger with a little home gunsmithing and parts from APEX tactical.
    I also believe the M&P is a fantastic gun, however, your impression of using an XD with a disabled arm is wrong. All it takes is gripping the weapon with a proper grip and hooking front or rear sight against nearly anything and charging the slide back.

If a proper grip on the XD is impossible with a disabled arm then it would also make the grip on any other gun impossible.

How many military personnel over the decades, that used a 1911 with grip safety, have had to rack their slide with one arm disabled?

If a grip safety could lead to an unusable gun then I suspect the grip safety would have disappeared long ago.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Um first off I have my friend on video while drawing and not firing his gun. And a league shooter who his much more experienced told me the same thing when he first got his XD. SO NO I'M NOT LIEING.

M&P: Abidex slide release, grip angle, more aggressive slide serrations, stronger less snag-gable sights, the trigger feels like a trigger and not like a thin pin when your pulling it. removable grips so the gun fits your hand instead of you having to fit to the gun. reversible mag catch. MADE IN THE USA. slide rides on metal system.

You are disagreeing with a lot of people on this post. I had my friends XDsc9 and my dad's M&P9c shot one after another at the range by 5 different people. all shot one after the other side by side. 2 new shooters, 2 experienced shooters, and 1 very experienced shooter. When asked which one they liked better all replied the M&P and gave me various reasons why. The XD 2 didn't like because of the grip safety and higher bore axis. The XD is also is heavier than the M&P.
    I am not in any way trying to dismiss the M&P. It is a fine weapon and I may even buy one myself. What I am trying to do is refute the accusations against the XD of it being a trash gun.

The XD slide does ride on metal. The grip safety does not compromise this pistol one bit.

The mag release is already ambi on the XD, doesn't have to be reversed.

The XD-M series has interchangeable grip palm swells. It also has aggressive slide serrations. Interchangeable back straps are a new item on guns so it can't really be used as a quality point. What did you do with a gun before they came about? You adjusted your grip to the gun because you had no choice.

The trigger on the XD is better out of the box than the M&P. With a trigger job, the XD too can be very very good just as the M&P can be made good.

Made in USA? No it isn't but neither is the almighty Glock, Sig, Walther or H&K. To be honest there are few American made guns period.

I cannot refute the high bore axis or its heavier weight. Still, it is by a small amount and the higher bore axis doesn't affect all shooters.

Just because a group of shooters doesn't like the XD over the M&P doesn't make the XD a lesser gun.

To Clarify:

The XD's sights are steel.

The difference in trigger isn't worth mentioning, but stock-for-stock the XD feels more consistent, it isn't some fragile little pin.

XD has an ambi mag release...so yeah i guess ya got em there since it technically isn't reversible.

What exactly do you think the XD's slide rails are made of, wood? No, they are very large beefy STEEL rails.

I've never once heard someone complaining that their combat pistol didn't have an ambi slide release and interchangeable backstraps. JMB would roll over in his grave hearing that BS.

All that being said...if I were to be given an M&P I wouldn't get rid of it unless it were particularly troublesome. If S&W offers a rebate program like they did with the Sigma pistols I'd probably even voluntarily buy one. I would not, however, pay $90 MORE for an M&P over the XD to gain any of it's "features".

Edit: Also, for anyone complaining about the XD's grip safety. You can probably be thankful the gun doesn't shoot with your grip on it. Hold the gun like it's a gun and it'll fire. Holding it like it's a pair of fruit of the looms with skidmarks and you won't have a pleasant shooting experience.

Edit Again: Tally XD beat me to it. But at least we can agree on the same points.
    Last edited by OlsenG360; June 13th, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: forgot about the grip safety

I have an M&P c 45 and an XD c 45, so they should be as close as possible for a comparison. The XD is slightly larger and heavier, but holds 2 more rounds. [5 more with the extended mag] The grip safety doesn't bother me; in fact I like it. I haven't done any trigger work on either one. The pull is a bit lighter on the XD, but both are smoother than the Glocks I've shot, and are almost as smooth as my Kahrs. Both are easy to strip and clean.

I hunted around for an XD with the SS slide, because some people seem to have problems with the finish. The M&P is black, but still looks brand new. I have never shot the pistols back to back on the same range trip, but the M&P seems a bit more accurate, and fits me better with the small backstrap. I had a couple of FTFeeds with the XD early, but now both are quite reliable. They are very close, but if I had to make a choice [I don't], I would take the M&P.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links