MP or XD

This is a discussion on MP or XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advice from people that have owned both,I'm a serious 1911 guy but would like to get something I don't have to worry ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MP or XD

MP or XD

I need some advice from people that have owned both,I'm a serious 1911 guy but would like to get something I don't have to worry about banging up! At first it was between a Glock and an XD,but once I had the Glocks in my hand,no matter how bad I wanted one,no way,they just felt terrible to grip,totally uncomfortable,so it's between the XD and MP.I heard the XD has a finish that doesn't hold up did they fix this problem or is this still a strike against it?Believe it or not no Gun store near me has an MP so I can't get my hands on one at moment.I have held the XD and really like the grip on that,Could you guys give me a no bs pro and con of the two and reason you picked one over the other!
    IE: Aftermarket parts availability,I hear MP has a great aftermarket drop in trigger kit.,how about other parts and holsters,hows the bore axis on both?grip comparison,reliability,cost for mags.
    I like the XD simply because it's basically a 1911 in plastic supposedly,people say it even feels like one,but from what I've been hearing lately the MP sounds like it's a really sound relaible tactical pistol that might have an edge on the XD,let me hear from the people that have the first hand knowledge of owning both.
    and Thanks for your input>

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Glad you asked this cause I looking at the same guns.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Where are you in FL? If your close to Palm Beach County, I'll let you grope my MP 9mm Fullsize for a cost of lunch somewhere.

I"ll take the M&P any day. Over 20k rounds and no problems what so ever over 3 years of ownership.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

If you are near Palm Beach Shooting Center, they have both for rent...Its off of I95 and 10th Ave....
    Last edited by sfl1972; June 10th, 2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: miss worded
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

I own an XD45 and a M&P9 Pro. I've had no problem with the finish on my XD. Actually, I've had no problems with my XD at all. I have around 3,000 rounds through it.

My M&P is a recent acquisition and I only have a couple hundred rounds through it so I can't comment on reliability but I'm sure it will be fine.

Both are very accurate for out of the box guns. I like the trigger pull on the M&P9 pro more but like the fact that the reset is easier to feel on the XD. The better trigger pull is to be expected for the "Pro" version of the M&P.

My suggestion to you is to at least hold both in your hand and see which one feels better and/or points naturally for you. If at all possible shoot both of them.

In my case the M&P mag release is more accessible for me. With my XD I have to slightly move my hand to hit the mag release. This isn't normally an issue but I've started shooting IDPA and reloading has become more important.

- Spike

VIP Member
    My XD45 is 4+ years old, has about 5-6000 rounds thru it and it has yet to have any function problems. The finish (bi-tone) is exceptional and has no defects in it yet. I have a G19 & G26, but in 45acp, the G21 grip just wasn't comfortable at all. The XD45 grip is much better for me.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have sold both types to many different people and haven't heard a bad word about either but haven't seen a head to head yet. IMO you can't go wrong with either of them.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have the XD .45 compact, and it has been one of the best weapons I have ever held/shot. I also have had Glock's, and like you, didn't care for the "grip angle".

As for reliability between the XD and MP, the XD is plenty reliable, and it shouldn't be an issue if that's what you're concerned about. I do like the MP, very much, but would prefer:
    --XD, MP, then Glock. In that order, personally.

Oh, btw...have you thought about the XDm?
    ........bwhahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Only you can tell which one of these fine weapons is right for "you" on soooo many variables.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

XD, on the trigger alone.

Personally, I'd go for the XDm.......if I wanted a striker fired tupperware gun. That XDm 45 looks interesting. Regards 18DAI.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    There are lots of variables, but both of my XDs are top notch weapons and have NEVER had an issue. I probably have 2000 rounds through my .40 and 4000 through my 9mm without a glitch. I love 'em.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I currently own 5 M&P's and each has been 100% reliable though thousands of rounds. I have never been able to justify the purchase of a XD due to the fact that they are all built in Croatia. I make sure that my money goes toward keeping Americans working, and buying the M&P's and my two Ford vehicles is in keeping with that belief system. It is a bonus that My M&P's and Fords have been flawless in their operation.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I own both and the M&P is my vote. I could go into detailed comparison but ultimately they're both great guns. I just like the M&P better, I'll leave it there.

BTW, I shoot it better than anything else I own.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I've owned an xd subcompact in 9 for a few years, been a great gun. Just bought a full size 45 in m and p, it's not bad, there's a lot to like about it, but the trigger wasn't one of them. I put in apex duty/carry kit, and problem solved. Still no 1911, but a good polymer all the same. I'd buy another one of either, but I'm trying to keep my money in the US, so it'd be the m & P for me...

Doesn't matter which one you get, you'll like it. They're both dependable.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have an M&P FS .357 and my roommate has an XD .40. I've shot both and I prefer the M&P (I'm a 1911 guy also). They're both decent and I actually like the style of the trigger better on the XD, I prefer everything else about the M&P other than the grip which seems to slick for me when my hands get sweaty. Prefer the grip angle on the M&P as well as the lower bore axis and overall shape/styling, it is a bit thinner which is nice because I carry it, plus it just looks less clunky to me. Like others have suggested, I'd say get your mitts on one and see which you prefer. As with most things, firearm preference is subjective and personal, so you'll have to inform yourself and make your own decision. Also, I think they fixed the problem with the finish on the newer XDs, and I know that the XDM doesn't have that problem at all.

edit - Forgot to mention, while I prefer the stock M&P trigger over the XD (other than it being hinged) I too installed an Apex DCAEK which is just awesome. It isn't quite as good as my 1911 but definitely one of the best striker pistol triggers I've felt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links