Barrel replaced - same problem?

This is a discussion on Barrel replaced - same problem? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger sent my SR9C back with a new barrel. I sent it in for peening on the top where it meets the slide. They test ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel replaced - same problem?

Barrel replaced - same problem?

Ruger sent my SR9C back with a new barrel. I sent it in for peening on the top where it meets the slide. They test fired 20 rounds through it and called it good. To me, it doesn't seem as if they original problem was addressed since the new barrel is already showing the same markings the old barrel had at 200 rounds. First pic is the replacement after 20 rounds the second one is the original after 200 rounds that they determined needed replacement.

btw, I have a full size SR9 also that doesn't show a single mark on it in that same area.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

2. Remove Ads

move the slide by hand to see where the barrel is hitting the slide. do you have any marks on the underside of the slide?
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    move the slide by hand to see where the barrel is hitting the slide. do you have any marks on the underside of the slide?
    There is no damage on the slide if that's what you're asking. Just on the barrel where they lock together.

I read over on the ruger forum someone mentioned having to have the barrel replaced three times before ruger replaced the whole pistol.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ocks-open.html

I posted about a month ago, the same problem with my LCP. Page 2 post#26 was my outcome. They replaced the barrel AND the slide...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I read over on the ruger forum someone mentioned having to have the barrel replaced three times before ruger replaced the whole pistol.
    One would think if the barrel is peening from damage caused by contact with the slide then the problem would be with the slide or the fitment thereof. Now if the barrel is damaged then it would need to be replaced but that alone doesn't fix the problem......

I sent the pictures above to Ruger and got a phone call back in about 20 mins. They said the wear on the top of the barrel is normal and should not be an issue going forward unless I see metal actually moving backwards and upwards where it locks to the slide. If that becomes the case they will replace both slide and barrel at that time. I told them I'd put a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend and see how it goes.

Well I hope this works out for you Takedown. Nothing more annoying than having to send a pistol back to the factory multiple times for the same problem. Best of luck to you.

I took my SR9C compact back to LGS and told them it still wasn't right and wanted them to make it right as I was not willing to keep sending a "new" gun back for repair. Here's a pic of the new SR9C after 300 rounds, not a mark on it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just needs that 500 rounds "break-in" completed. Isn't that what they all say?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

New Ruger SR9c will be shipping with a customer peening repair kit,a dremel with a sanding bit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

as long as it doesn't fire when dropped, you're good to go.

Sorry to hear about the issue. Tough to take on a relatively new pistol. I used to read the Ruger forum and it seemed the peening problem was about 50/50 on all SR9 pistols. The thing is, when they came out with the SR9c, the problem still hadn't been corrected. There's no standard time period for the peening to appear either. Some reported it in the first few hundred rounds while others reported it happening after 800. You could keep sending the pistol in and eventually get a good barrel/slide combination (the plus side of the 50/50) or trade for something else. The M&P9c is a good pistol.

I had the same problem but my SR9 the barrel is riding along the slide you can see the where it is rubbing along the slide and on barrel. Also my barrel wasnt stamped with proof marks just that alone they wanted me to send it back in. i had only put 50 rounds threw mine before it showed up and found mine didnt have marks on barrel that shows they tested the barrel before sending out. Sucks to have it for 4days and have to send it back for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonware View Post
    I had the same problem but my SR9 the barrel is riding along the slide you can see the where it is rubbing along the slide and on barrel. Also my barrel wasnt stamped with proof marks just that alone they wanted me to send it back in. i had only put 50 rounds threw mine before it showed up and found mine didnt have marks on barrel that shows they tested the barrel before sending out. Sucks to have it for 4days and have to send it back for repairs.
    Good luck to you. A barrel with no proof marks SHOULD concern them. I hope they get it all worked out to your satisfaction. I have always heard good things about Ruger's Cust Service Dept.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links