What makes people say a gun is accurate?

This is a discussion on What makes people say a gun is accurate? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess what I'm trying to ask is 2 things... Why does it seem that, on certain guns, people always say how accurate the gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I guess what I'm trying to ask is 2 things...
    Why does it seem that, on certain guns, people always say how accurate the gun is? A perfect example would be the Bersa .380. Almost every post regarding this gun, its owners, usually say how accurate it is. What makes people say that? Is it because the barrel is integral to the frame? There must be a reason for this gun as well as others...
    And,
    Though a lot of guns are more accurate than their owners right out of the box, what makes a gun more accurate than another? Primarily speaking of sub compact cc guns.
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Senior Moderator
    If the gun puts the bullets right where you aim the sights, then it is accurate.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

With a hand gun, as long as I can get a hit consistently no less than 1 inch to 1.5 from where I careful aim, at a min of 21 ft to 50ft, I would consider the firearm and ammo accurate.

I have had bad days at the range where it is just me, and I don't do that well (always shakes me a big, as I wonder what would happen when it counts, the I remind myself paper looks tougher with holes in it, even if 3 inches apart, then a BG in the same situation).

Clovers would get a very accurate, and a smile.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If the gun puts the bullets right where you aim the sights, then it is accurate.
    I know the definition of accurate...I believe you missed my question...Certain guns seem to make people SAY they are accurate, why is that? I would never say "wow, my Glock is accurate!"
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Quote Originally Posted by sfl1972 View Post
    I know the definition of accurate...I believe you missed my question...Certain guns seem to make people SAY they are accurate, why is that? I would never say "wow, my Glock is accurate!"
    Not trolling, but why not?

If you can hit the bullseye, or close, it is a good gun, and it is accurate.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Moderator
    People say that they have accurate guns, because not all guns are accurate.

Years ago, I got an old worn out .45 for a hundred bucks. The reason it was so cheap was that you yu would be hard pressed to hit a 55 gallon drum at 25 yards away with most of the shots.

That gun wasnt accurate at all.

Now, if you get another .45 and you can shoot some nice tight groups with it at 25 yards, you would say that thay gun is accurate. You would say that because in comparison with the other .45 it would be very accurate.

Its a relative term anyway.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

No sir, you are not trolling...Let's say people who compete will often get a match grade barrel and others mods. Yet some guns don't seem to need anything else...With my Glock I am comfortable with 4" groups at 25 ft. Maybe its me? The gun? I've shot other guns and I'm at 2" at 25 ft....
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

If you can hit a pie plate all day at 25 yards, that would be combat accurate for me. When I put all 8 rounds at 15 yards ( slow fire ) into "one" ragged hole the first time I shot my Baer TRS, I said, "WOW, this gun is accurate".

Any gun that you can consistently hit what you are aiming at is accurate!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I prefer my firearms to be both accurate (hit at or very near to where I am aiming) and precise (grouped well)

Accuracy versus Precision - The Target Analogy

If the gun is placed in a staionary 'holder' and can hit exactly where it is aimed...then the gun is accurate.

If you can then take that same gun and hit exactly where you are aiming that 'already proven' accurate gun...then you are an accurate shooter.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A S & W 642 is not accurate at 1,000 yards.
    642 at 15' accurate enough.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Administrator
    Most firearms will shoot better than most shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by sfl1972 View Post
    When I say that, what I really mean is "my ability to be accurate and consistent with this gun is great." Perhaps the sight picture sets-up perfect for me. I like to put the front sight dot right on top of my POA. Some guns are sighted this way, some aren't. I am able to be very accurate with some of my handguns, and others I cannot (I have two comparable 9mms, one I can consistently circumcise a gnat with the other one day I'm somewhat able to hit consistently with it and others not at all).

That's the best way for me to explain what I mean when I refer to a gun as accurate.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A lot of firearms are more accurate than their owners. But for example, I have a Springfield GI 1911, and a Springfield Loaded Target 1911. The target model is certainly a more accurate pistol, for everyone who shoots between the two. This has to do with the fit and quality of the parts that the pistol is made up of. Ammo also plays a role, but with the same ammo the Target generally shoots better groups. The target model also has sights that are easier to use.

Now, for combat shooting, the GI does just fine, at 15 yards or less, the group is going to be a couple of inches, but with the Target, the group will be tighter assuming I am shooting both of them about the same that day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links