Decisions, Decisions

This is a discussion on Decisions, Decisions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about 2 weeks out from having my CWP and have been obsessing over what I will eventually call my EDC. I am a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions

Decisions, Decisions

I am about 2 weeks out from having my CWP and have been obsessing over what I will eventually call my EDC.

I am a big guy, it's Summer and I live in Florida so dressing in layers is out!
    Ideally I would like to pocket carry, but an not opposed to IWB IF I can find something comfortable to carry. (Really not interested in carrying a bag or planner holster).

Some considerations:
    • I have settled on a caliber: 9mm
    • Budget is a factor. I am limited to at the most $450
    • Prefer a manual safety
    • As much grip in my hand as possible

Lately I keep circling back to these handguns in this order (hold on I may and do contradict myself often!)

In order of preference:
    1. Springfield XD9 Sub Compact
    2. Taurus PT709 Slim
    3. Smith & Wesson Sigma
    4. Taurus Millennium Pro
    5. or do I just keep my $ and use my Bulgarian Makarov?

I have heard mixed reviews on the Taurus brand. (Never owned one myself).
    The S&W and Millennium Pro are obviously bulkier, but I like the grip.

I have looked at the Kel-Tec's, but I am just not comfortable with the grip or the cheap-feeling trigger.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I know you are all a wealth of knowledge. Everyone has an opinion and I am willing to "sniff" them all!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Personal preference, I went with the SA XD40 SC. It's a great gun. The SA XD9 SC would be cheaper to shoot and holds a few more rounds. I don't own any of the others, so can't comment on them. Good Luck!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

At that price point, you may want to look at used guns to open up your options.

Maybe look at a gently used M&P sc.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I live in Florida also, and this is what I carry in summer:

It's the Ruger SR9C. It holds 10 + 1 rounds, weighs 25 oz., has an external safety, great trigger; it's slim, lightweight, accurate and reliable. Bud's gun shop had them for $389 delivered.

It also comes with a 17 round magazine that has a sleeve which effectively elongates the grip.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I am not a huge XD fan, but based on your list that is the only one I would consider. The trigger on the Sigma is pretty rough(I'm being kind) and I would not carry any Taurus auto. So I guess that leaves the XD. You will have some one tell you that there is nothing wrong with a Taurus but I would just ask why are there so many threads about their customer service and bud quality.

I agree, you should take a look at the SR9C.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post

It's the Ruger SR9C. It hols 10 rounds, weighs 25 oz., has an external safety, great trigger; it's slim, lightweight, accurate and reliable. Bud's gun shop had them for $389 delivered.

It also comes with a 17 round magazine that has a sleeve which effectively elongates the grip.
    Springfield 1911
    Windham AR SRC
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Walther P22

You may not be able to afford a new GLOCK 26 for that price but may be able to find a used one. Unless someone fired soft lead bullets or really mistreated the gun I'd say a used 26 would be just as reliable as a new one.

My EDC is a GLOCK 19, carried IWB in a CBST. Opted for that over a 26 because of the size of the grip, capacity etc. Picked up a 26 for my wife for mothers day and added pearce pinky (+0) extensions to the magazines and I'll be damned if I don't think it fits my hand bettter than the 19.

The GLOCKs are as safe as any gun as long as you keep your booger finger off of the boom switch.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Forget the Taurus (Taurui?); If you're limited to just one gun for now: get something dependable, don't take a chance on a gun with iffy reliability history.

Another +1 my carry also

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post

It's the Ruger SR9C. It holds 10 + 1 rounds, weighs 25 oz., has an external safety, great trigger; it's slim, lightweight, accurate and reliable. Bud's gun shop had them for $389 delivered.

and it sure rides nice in a super tuck, shirt in or out.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Not a big fan of the XD but of the ones you listed, it's the only one that would get a sniff.

I picked up two new Glock 19s (gen 3 RTF 2s) several weeks back for $450 each. Gun shows around here have the standard glocks for about $435 + Tax.

Another fan of the SR9C but I also like my 709 Slim.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

The XD or Glock 19 would be my choices.

I like XD's in the service model, not so much in the sub compact size. The SR9c is a good choice if you feel you need the safety. If you can do without, you could probably pickup a new Sig P250 in that price range, so might want to add that to the list. You can definitely get a like new Glock 19 in that range if you hunt around long enough. By having enough grip, do you mean not having your pinky hanging off the end? Yeah, I hate that too.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Get a Glock 19 (you should be able to find one in like-new condition in your budget or brand new for only a little more) and carry it in a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe - horsehide since you live in Florida. You don't need a manual safety with a Glock trigger (I don't want to fumble around with one under high stress anyway) and you won't find a more comfortable way to carry it IWB than the CBST and you won't have to dress in layers to conceal with it.

Just my $.02

I carry a XD SC in 9mm. in a CrossBreed IWB holster. I love XDs and they shoot very well for me. And in east central Florida's heat its stll not hard to conceal. It can be covered w/ a thick longer T-shirt. or an untucked thin button up shirt. But if I am wearing an outer button up shirt its usually my "Taurus" 1911AL. which is easier to concel than you would think due to its slimness.
    Sometimes carry a Taurus 85 in .38 w/ CTGs. But usually the old lady has that one.

Go to a gun range where you can rent them. Cheaper to spend a little renting, then buy something you don't like or have to "settle" for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links