Help with CC, Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, Glock 26

This is a discussion on Help with CC, Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CC and have been carrying a Ruger LCP pocket carry so far so good. I have a Ruger LCR with CT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with CC, Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, Glock 26

I am new to CC and have been carrying a Ruger LCP pocket carry so far so good. I have a Ruger LCR with CT Laser that I have started to carry in a High Noon Hidden Ally appendix carry. The LCR I have carried when I go walking to see how comfortable it is. Actually not to bad.

I also have a Glock 23 and a High Noon Mr. Softy holster that I have tried to carry appendix style, the package is heavy and prints the butt through clothing real easy. I see that carry the 23 is not going to work for me in that position.

So here are my questions: I would like a 9mm the choices are the listed in the title.

1. Is the Glock 26 carried appendix going to be that much different in not printing?
    2. Is the PM9 that much of a step up when it only holds 7 rounds compared to my LCR's 5 rounds.
    3. The Kel Tec PF-9 price point has my attention, but I do not want to be disappointed in quality, problems ect....

Anyone with experience with any of the three guns for CC would really help. I will most likely trade my Glock 23 for one of the three guns, to go to 9mm and to reduce size of gun.

2. Remove Ads

I am sure you will be getting great advise but I will give you my opinion, again its only my opinion based on preference. I think your choices on the guns are good, so in order of Reliability I would rate the G26 followed by Kahr and then the KelTec. In order of Comfort, carrying size wise its pretty much a tie between Kahr and KelTec followed by G26, if you factor in the guns weight KelTec wins, its the lightest also the thinnest. I have never had any reliability issues with any of your choices but I think there is less of an issue with the Glocks. In regards to carrying appendix I have never done it so I have no opinion, I would guess the smaller and lighter the gun the better. I usually carry IWB and any of the guns mentioned are not a problem. If I had to pick based on appendix carry I'd say Kahr over the Glock Only because of its size and weight. If size and weight are not an issue, Glock 26. The Glock unloaded weighs about 19oz the Kahr about 16 and I think the KT is about 12-13oz. Im finding the older and more decrepit I get the more I gravitate to the smaller lighter guns, even 3-4 oz make a big difference.

I will also start by saying that this is only my opinion! I can tell you that my carry guns are a Taurus M85 (much like your LCR) and a Kahr CW9. I am a fairly good sized guy (6'3" & 270 lbs) and I can hide these pretty easily. Before buying the Kahr I also checked out the Kel Tec and the Taurus 709...but they did not fit my big meat hooks. I did look at the G26 but it was substantially bigger than what I was looking for at the time. Recent posts regarding shot capacity have brought up some good points that should be considered as well. My 5 and/or 7 shot capacity could be an issue if engaging multiple bad guys. It really comes down to what works for you. Good luck.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am new to CC and have been carrying a Ruger LCP pocket carry so far so good. I have a Ruger LCR with CT Laser that I have started to carry in a High Noon Hidden Ally appendix carry. The LCR I have carried when I go walking to see how comfortable it is. Actually not to bad.

I also have a Glock 23 and a High Noon Mr. Softy holster that I have tried to carry appendix style, the package is heavy and prints the butt through clothing real easy. I see that carry the 23 is not going to work for me in that position.

So here are my questions: I would like a 9mm the choices are the listed in the title.

1. Is the Glock 26 carried appendix going to be that much different in not printing?
    2. Is the PM9 that much of a step up when it only holds 7 rounds compared to my LCR's 5 rounds.
    3. The Kel Tec PF-9 price point has my attention, but I do not want to be disappointed in quality, problems ect....

Anyone with experience with any of the three guns for CC would really help. I will most likely trade my Glock 23 for one of the three guns, to go to 9mm and to reduce size of gun.
    I have a 23. I highly recommend that you save your money from buying a gun and get a Crossbreed Supertuck. I conceal mine at 3:00, easily, with a forward cant. Trust me, I have tried numerous holsters and NOTHING compares to this.

If you want deep concealment, get the G27. It is the same size as the 26. Bigger caliber and you can use your 23's mags.

I was really in the same position as you but holsters, my friend, make a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Everything's a trade off. Figure out what's most important to you and choose.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Great, I will look into the CrossBreed, I really like the appendix carry when I can leave my shirt untucked, do you tuck you shirt in with CrossBreed?

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I have a 23. I highly recommend that you save your money from buying a gun and get a Crossbreed Supertuck. I conceal mine at 3:00, easily, with a forward cant. Trust me, I have tried numerous holsters and NOTHING compares to this.

I was really in the same position as you but holsters, my friend, make a world of difference.
    ^+1

I carry a G19 (same size as your G23) in a SuperTuck at 3:30. You won't be able to appendix carry with this one but once you find the sweet spot and break in this holster, you will forget it's there. Really! Don't underestimate the value of a good holster and carry belt.

Keep the Glock and the LCP, get a quality belt and quality holsters...your problems will be solved and you will have saved some $$$.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

- The shorter grip of the Glock 26 is going to greatly reduce printing. I carried a Glock 27 for years and years in the appendix position and it was very comfortable and concealable.

- A 9mm+P round has much better ballistics than a .38spl+P round. I replaced my Glock 27 with the Kahr PM9 since it is much lighter and thinner.

.38spl+P (125 grain)
    Muzzle Velocity = 945 feet per second
    Muzzle Energy = 248 foot pounds

9mm+P (124 grain)
    Muzzle Velocity = 1220 feet per second
    Muzzle Energy = 410 foot pounds

I just returned from the range with the LCR, LCP, Glock 23, the 23 shots so nice nice, between the LCR and LCP I could shoot better and faster with the LCP than with the LCR, groups were as good or a little better.

LCP a keeper, LCR will be traded instead of Glock, I will look into a better holster.

It will be between a PM9 and a SubCompact Glock.

I usually don't tuck my shirt and prefer the mini tuck over the supertuck personaly
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

i went through the exact same thought process when i bought my last handgun..i decided on the Kahr CW9 and while it's been a great gun,very reliable and accurate i regret not going with something a bit more compact in 9mm.. the Glock 26 is reliable,but it's too blocky and heavy IMO..my choice would be between the Kel Tec PF9 or the Kahr PM9..From what most say,the Kahr is the superior handgun but also comes with double the price tag of the Kel Tec..

I love my 26, sold my pf9. The 26 prints a LOT MORE if you use a pinky rest or extra round(s) extension. The 26 is much more accurate, shoots more comfortably and carries more ammo than the kelTec. YMMV

I traded the Ruger LCR off for the Kahr PM9, I shot 50 rounds with the PM9 right out of the box, I just wiped the excess oil off and fired all 50 with no problems. The grip is a little small but I will get used to it, the trigger pull was very smooth.

I will fire another 200 rounds or so before I CC with it.

You made the right choice going with the Kahr PM9
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links