Need a new pistol.

Need a new pistol.

This is a discussion on Need a new pistol. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother-in-law wants to buy my XDm from me. He's a real good guy and I'm more that willing to help him out. As for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new pistol.

Need a new pistol.

My brother-in-law wants to buy my XDm from me. He's a real good guy and I'm more that willing to help him out. As for me, I love everything about my XDm but the size. I like the safeties, the grip fits perfectly and I can shoot the lights out with it. It is a slight chore to conceal though. Don't get me wrong, I carry every day and can conceal under as little as a t-shirt but I also often long for a smaller pistol system. So what's out there? I know a lot of people are, but I'm not a big Glock fan. I was thinking EMP. I want to stay with .40. I also don't want my pinky off the end of the grip. There's not much that bugs me more than a grip that I can't actually grip. I wish SA made a true compact XDm.

D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

If you have the money, take a good look at the emp 40cal.
    I really love my 9mm. My hand fits the grip...and I have large hands.
    Can't beat SA customer service either.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I'm a big fan of the 1911 and the EMP. One thing holding me back is the manual thumb safety. I prefer the trigger safety of the XD, XDm and Glocks. I like to grap my gun and shoot. Another thing, to a lesser extent, is it the metal frame. The more corrosion resistance the better. The EMP is up towards the top of my list though.

D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

Here's a suggestion:
    CZ 2075 RAMI
    Around $500.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Take a look at the Ruger SR9... 17+1, 9mm, I know it is a step down from the .40, but it is affordable, has the trigger safety you are looking for and it is a Ruger! Great little gun, reliable, comfortable, and functional.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

If you love everything about the XDm except for the size then sounds to me like your looking for a 1911. If you want a 9mm go with a EMP. If you want .45 there are lots of good options. If you don't want to spend a boat load look at a RIA compact 1911. They are good quality, have a good rep and are very reasonably priced. They are a tad on the heavy side but with a good holster and a good belt I don't see why that would be a issue.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

How do you feel about the S&W M&Pc?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    I want to stay with .40. I also don't want my pinky off the end of the grip. There's not much that bugs me more than a grip that I can't actually grip. I wish SA made a true compact XDm.

D
    Have you considered modifying the grip length on your XD to fit the next lower size magazine? I'm not too familiar with XDs, but I am assuming that if you could get a smaller mag in there it would work.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

SA XD40 SC with larger magazine!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The M&P compacts with the thicker base pad to hold your pinky finger,I prefer to shoot with a little more etiquette with my pinky finger extended
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    SA XD40 SC with larger magazine!
    Yup!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Springfield also now makes the XDm with a 3.8 inch barrel which may help. The grip stays the same size but the slide and barrel are shorter. the shorter length may make it more comfortable to conceal in a IWB holster.

I would suggest taking a look at some of the .40 caliber Kahr pistols. Very thin and lightweight but they don't have any external safeties.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If you don't like the size and are willing to wait, you could always get the 3.8 XD and have the grip chopped.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Why not a standard XD .40? It's not as large as the XDm, or an XD SC with an extended mag?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links