I'm Frustrated! (Pocket Pistol Related)

This is a discussion on I'm Frustrated! (Pocket Pistol Related) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the gun show today and I left frustrated. Why? Because I hate making uninformed decisions. First of all, will someone please answer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Frustrated! (Pocket Pistol Related)

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

I'm Frustrated! (Pocket Pistol Related)

I went to the gun show today and I left frustrated. Why? Because I hate making uninformed decisions.

First of all, will someone please answer the following for me?

Does the Ruger LCP's slide lock back after you empty a mag? Yes or No? For some reason, I had assumed that it had no slide lock like the Kel-Tec and most other pocket .380's. But I looked at one and, lo and behold, it does indeed have a slide lock. I've been hearing, "The Taurus TCP is the only pocket .380 that locks back after the last round is fired." If the LCP does the same, I wouldn't have wasted my money on that POS Taurus that was broken right out of the box.

So yeah, that's a bit embarassing. But will someone please answer the above question?

Next topic: I found one NAA Guardian .380. It seems very well made and I hear great things about them. But like most people say, it seems heavy for pocket carry since it's all metal construction. I really did like it, though. The weight doesn't really bother me because I only pocket-carry on my own property.

So *IF* we confirm that the LCP locks back on an empty mag, my decision is as follows:

Ruger LCP w/chrome slide - $310.00 + taxes and background

NAA Guardian .380 - $449.00 out the door

What do you think?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Guardian comes with two mags: one flat for concealment and one with pinky extension. The LCP only has one.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Does the Ruger LCP's slide lock back after you empty a mag? Yes or No?
    What I recall from reading is, "No". It's a manual latch.

VIP Member
    I don't know anything about the Taurus TCP.

I thought about the Guardian at one time.....it was heavy for its size.

I bought a LCP that I've been pocket carrying for two years? I haven't looked back.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    What I recall from reading is, "No". It's a manual latch.
    Thanks. I kept reading that it does NOT lock back, but a vendor at the gun show today said that it does.

But I was surprised to see that it has a slide latch.

-miklcolt45

jfl
    I had the same choices to make.
    The LCP had too many recalls and some say it is a copy of the Kel-Tec.
    The Rohrbaugh is way too expensive.
    I finally got the K-T P-3AT,(pronounced P-380), did a thorough "fluff and buff" per the KTOG website, and now I have a great mouse gun built 100 miles from where I live.
    I still have a hard time leaving the G-26 home, though ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

It's a manual slide lock.. it does not automatically lock open on the last round.

"There is no external safety, and the slide does not lock open after the last round. The slide can be locked to the rear by pivoting the recessed slide lock up into a frame notch. It is a nice feature that allows shooters to show clear during practice and makes cleaning the gun possible without disassembly."

Ruger LCP .380

I love my LCP. It is the only pistol that I have a laser for, but I find it necessary for accurate shooting since the sights are nearly impossible to pick up quickly.

I do love my Glocks, but I'm starting to really have an affection for the LCP as well, the slide lock is manual, but I just don't see me parting with this little one.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I believe the Kahr P380 and the Sig P238 both lock back after the last shot. If I was going to only use it for pocket carry around my property, and didn't mind weight, I'd probably choose the Sig P238. I do have to ask, though....why is it important that the slide locks back after the last shot?
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Does the Ruger LCP's slide lock back after you empty a mag? Yes or No? For some reason, I had assumed that it had no slide lock like the Kel-Tec and most other pocket .380's. But I looked at one and, lo and behold, it does indeed have a slide lock. I've been hearing, "The Taurus TCP is the only pocket .380 that locks back after the last round is fired."
    - As others have stated, the LCP does not lock back on an empty magazine. The slide lock is a manual one and is very useful for inspection and loading a round in the chamber. The Kahr P380 and Sig P238 are two other .380ACP guns that WILL lock back on an empty magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Next topic: I found one NAA Guardian .380. It seems very well made and I hear great things about them. But like most people say, it seems heavy for pocket carry since it's all metal construction. I really did like it, though. The weight doesn't really bother me because I only pocket-carry on my own property.
    - I used to own the NAA Guardian .380. I carried it for a few years because at that time there weren't a lot of pocket guns on the market. IMO, it was simply too heavy (18.72 oz.) for pocket carry. I also couldn't get it to feed JHP reliably, so I ended up trading it in. It was a very solid and well built gun though.

The Guardian .380 does NOT lock back when empty, or ever, there is no slide lock.

Also no ejector, it uses the magazine as the ejector, which makes it a little odd to unload.

That said , the only time mine isn't in reach is if I am prohibited by law from carrying it.

I tried pocket carrying my NAA Guardian 32. It seemed to bounce around way too much...more than my J frame. I did for awhile (and still do on occasion) carry it appendix IWB and it is completely concealed. It is a bit longer than the width of my belt which hides the little thing better than anything else I got. Guardian 380's are bigger.

The weight of it makes a big difference in shooting to me.

It is amazing how the variety of pocket pistols have grown over the past few years. Good luck on your choice.

If you are even considering an NAA Guardian for $449, then just pay whatever the extra is and get a Kahr P380. Every online and magazine review I have read about it says that it is the best DAO pocket .380 out there. It'll take a little extra money, and likely time, to find one but I'd bet you'll have no buyer's remorse once you get your hands on one. And there is always gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com if you don't want to take the time to look for one.

I went to the range today to decide whether to keep my Ruger LCR or not, while I was there I needed to break in my Ruger LCP, so I shoot a 100 rounds or so through it.

Shooting it side by side with my LCR and Glock 23, I was very surprised the LCP has 175 rounds total through it, it ran flawlessly and shot as good of group at 7 yards as the LCR.

I added a belt clip to the LCP, I am not sure it will stay on the LCP, I added a Hogue Jr. rubber slip on grip and that made a bigger grip which was much easier to shoot. My opinion is that the LCP is a fine firearm, the Kahr 380 looks great too, along with the Sig.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I have a KT P3at, great gun! I probable when buy a PF-9 sooner or later too.

(I currenty pocket carry and smith 442 revolver.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    I do have to ask, though....why is it important that the slide locks back after the last shot?
    I'm just cantankerous and set in my ways.

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links