Lesser known but high quality handguns

This is a discussion on Lesser known but high quality handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are many lesser known but quality handguns out there. Here are two examples. I have owned these two handguns for over 18 years. They ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lesser known but high quality handguns

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

There are many lesser known but quality handguns out there. Here are two examples. I have owned these two handguns for over 18 years. They were made by the South Korean manufacturer Daewoo Precision Industries. They were the standard sidearms of the South Korean military and Police for many years and are still widely used by our Asian allies. These are all steel high quality sidearms that use a conventional short recoil operated, locked breech Browning-type locking system. They are very similar to the S&W 59 series guns. I have found them over the years to be good handling, relatively accurate and very relaible handguns. These were imported to the US in the early 90's by Kimber which is makered on the slide. Parts availability is the only concern with these guns since they are no longer imported.

I don't shoot them that often anymore because I own a lot of handguns, but I would not hesitate to carry them or use one for HD.

If you have a handgun that falls in this catagory of quality lesser known guns lets see what you have.

Daewoo (South Korean) DH40 (.40) and DP51(9mm)

Modern Firearms - Daewoo DP-51 / K5 pistol
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    S&W Model 457 .45ACP (now defunct, although I still own it and use it as my summer CC gun as well as my backup home defense gun)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    There are many lesser known but quality handguns out there. Here are two examples. I have owned these two handguns for over 18 years. They were made by the South Korean manufacturer Daewoo Precision Industries. They were the standard sidearms of the South Korean military and Police for many years and are still widely used by our Asian allies. These are all steel high quality sidearms that use a conventional short recoil operated, locked breech Browning-type locking system. They are very similar to the S&W 59 series guns. I have found them over the years to be good handling, relatively accurate and very relaible handguns. These were imported to the US in the early 90's by Kimber which is makered on the slide. Parts availability is the only concern with these guns since they are no longer imported.

I don't shoot them that often anymore because I own a lot of handguns, but I would not hesitate to carry them or use one for HD.

If you have a handgun that falls in this catagory of quality lesser known guns lets see what you have.

Daewoo (South Korean) DH40 (.40) and DP51(9mm)

Modern Firearms - Daewoo DP-51 / K5 pistol
    It's disappointing they don't import them here anymore. I first heard about them in the 90s and they seem like some pretty good guns. So is Daewoo that makes appliances the same company that makes guns?

If that is your gun in the picture, you did a great job keeping it in mint condition.

CZ 75b in Nickel

I suppose known quite well in most parts of the world but I never see anyone with one here in Cincinnati. It is a fantastic gun...accurate, reliable and easy to maintain. Only wish the slide was around the frame and didn't ride inside of it. Maybe that is one of the reasons it is really reliable but it is hard to get a handle on the slide to rack it.

I don't have a pic of it, but the Star BM 9mm; a commander-sized 1911-esque pistol. Mine shot great, and was super reliable...I kinda regret letting it go, but it just sat in the safe. For a long time, though, it was my truck gun riding in a pocket in the front of my driver's seat.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Star Firestar M43, abit on the heavy side but a nice reliable 9MM.

Star Firearms : Firestar Series Pistols
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

another vote for CZ here as underappreciated
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." ó Benjamin Franklin

Btw, that daewoo looks very similar to an old S&W my dad has. I'd try a daewoo if I had the chance.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." ó Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Star Firestar M43, abit on the heavy side but a nice reliable 9MM.

Star Firearms : Firestar Series Pistols
    You are correct the Star Firestar was the Guns and Ammo handgun of the year back about 1992 or so, and they are outstanding handguns. I have one also by the way, here is a photo. Its still one of my favorite handguns. I have maybe 3-4K rounds through this gun with zero issues of any kind. Being all steel they are a bit heavy for there size but shoot, handle and perform superbly.

S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    If that is your gun in the picture, you did a great job keeping it in mint condition.
    They both are all mine my friend. I don't post photos of other people's guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    So is Daewoo that makes appliances the same company that makes guns?
    Daewoo is the largest company in South Korea, they make everything from weapons for the military, cars, appliances, heavy construction equipment and electronics.

Nice guns, thanks for posting!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator

EAA/European American Arms.
    9mm.
    Basically a CZ clone with some refinements. Well made and accurate and solid as a rock.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Not to highjack the thread, but as I look here I was wondering If there is a hand gun company that does not make a clone or vareation of the 1911?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links