Kahr PM40 Issues

This is a discussion on Kahr PM40 Issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Kahr P9 Covert has been reliable so far with no malfunctions at all (knock on wood) while guns I own that have been "paragons" ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kahr PM40 Issues

VIP Member
    My Kahr P9 Covert has been reliable so far with no malfunctions at all (knock on wood) while guns I own that have been "paragons" of reliablity (HK USP .45 ACP, Walther P99 QA .40 S&W, CZ-40B .40 S&W, and Beretta Vertec 92G) have had a couple or more (but not many more) malfunctions (which does not necessarily worry me too much).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

I have heard that the PM40 is the most problematic of all Kahrs. Hopefully I can get mine back from Kahr this week. 1 week has quickly turned into 1 month. Other than all the malfunctions I have really enjoyed my range time with the little cannon.

VIP Member
    ...my Kahr P45 has started to give me some trouble so it's off to Kahr for look under the hood....and some night sights.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I might get the Mepros, they are actually very affordable. Or just a front night sight because I'm starting to prefer the SIG post style sight over 3-dots. The Big-Dots would be perfect but the price is way too steep.

Just purchased a Kahr PM 40. Ran 200 rds through it and had 2 fail-to-ejects. No big deal. Fire power is incredible, recoil is strong but manageable, It got stronger and better as the day went on. It does, however, shoot low from POA. All in all, a very healthy choice for self defense CCW and I am extremely well pleased with the purchase.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I like mine, too. You may be anticipating, mine shoots POA. I softened the plastic checkering on the backstrap with a little fine sandpapering for comfort. The trigger is excellent, but try dryfire to see if the front sight is getting pulled down. I roll it up a wee bit during the stroke. My later production PM40 has been flawless, so far. They're certainly the best little hand cannons that fit in a pocket. I carry Cor Bon 140gr DPX, but my Hornady 180gr XTP reloads run 1010fps. Keep the polygon bbl clean if you run cast bullets or switch to the CM40 bbl with its standard rifling.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I just ran another 150 rds through my Kahr PM 40 without so much as a hiccup. I went through a "tactical situation" range that I have set up on my property and I am extremely pleased with the performance of this firearm! The recoil of this weapon is immense but I am getting much more used to it. Point of aim is less of an issue as I become more familiar with it's action. I would definitely recommend one of these firearms.

People seem to be unaware of how to deal with guns like the Kahr PM series. If you are not willing to adapt and learn, stick with something closer to a service weapon. The small Kahrs have fans and haters. These small weapons punish those who do not adapt. Grip is critical as is ammo choice. Due to having a light slide, the springs are stronger. Limp wrists will cause failures. Thumbs can hit the magazine release and or slide lock (you adjust or fail). Though I really like Kahr pistols, and have a P380 for backup, my compact carry is a Glock 27. I may get a PM9 or PM40, and I may learn to adapt. For now, I am staying with something that does not make me adapt as much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links