Help me decide: Kahr PM9 vs. NAA Guardian .380

This is a discussion on Help me decide: Kahr PM9 vs. NAA Guardian .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I'm ready to put this pocket pistol dilemma to rest and I've narrowed it down to two choices: The Kahr PM9 and the NAA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide: Kahr PM9 vs. NAA Guardian .380

Okay, I'm ready to put this pocket pistol dilemma to rest and I've narrowed it down to two choices: The Kahr PM9 and the NAA Guardian .380. Here is a comparison in different areas for both:

Caliber:
    PM9 - 9mm
    NAA - .380
    Advantage: PM9

Length:
    PM9 - 5.3"
    NAA - 4.75"
    Advantage: NAA

Height:
    PM9 - 4.0"
    NAA - 3.53"
    Advantage: NAA (depending on how you look at this)

Weight (unloaded):
    PM9 - 14 ounces
    NAA - 18.72 ounces

Width:
    PM9 - 0.90"
    NAA - 0.930"

MSRP (with street prices in the ballpark):
    PM9 - $786.00 (no night sights or external safety)
    NAA - $449.00 (This is about what I'll pay at the gun show)

Construction:
    PM9: Polymer and steel
    NAA - All metal (except for the grip)

I'm traditionally a ".45 guy," so a 9mm would probably sit better with me. That's weighing heavily on my decision. The PM9 is also slightly slimmer, although longer. Both companies are said to have excellent customer support, so I won't go there. I'm also researching whether either of them will handle +p ammo. Any of you know?

So what do you think? Hopefully, I'll have this matter resolved soon and quit bugging all of you about it.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I don't think it's fair to compare the two pistols as they are inherently different. But the PM9 gets my knod. I'd recomend a PF9 if you can stoop to something so lowly. I love both my 380 and 9mm Keltec's especially for the money.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    I don't think it's fair to compare the two pistols as they are inherently different.
    Oh, yeah. I totally realize that the comparison is apples and oranges and I would never compare them this way in the normal context. But I'm comparing them strictly for my purposes because my decision has boiled down to these two.

The PF9 isn't under consideration because it won't work too well for pocket carry. It does feel good in my hands, though.

-miklcolt45

Also...I have now found out that the PM9 is okay with +p ammo. I don't know yet about the Guardian.

So if we're looking at 9mm+p vs. strictly standard .380, it'll be the Kahr.

-miklcolt45

that +P will can come in handy and there are way more weight/power combos for the 9mm platform vs the 380.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    that +P will can come in handy and there are way more weight/power combos for the 9mm platform vs the 380.
    That's what I keep thinking. A heavier bullet at a higher velocity from a lighter gun. What's not to like?

Plus.... and I know that this is probably psychological, but if I get the Guardian it'll always be in the back of my mind, "I'm carrying a .380."

For a ".45 guy," that could be a bit disturbing.

-miklcolt45

Buy the one that isn't a .380.

P.S. How does being all metal give the NAA an advantage?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    My opinion would be the PM9. How big are your hands because my opinion is that there is a limit on how small is too small and I have picked up the NAA Guardian .380 and to me it seems to small to comfortably shoot and also be accurate. Again these are just my opinions. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Buy the one that isn't a .380.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    P.S. How does being all metal give the NAA an advantage?
    Only in my head, I guess. I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I also just found out that the PM9 locks the slide open after the last round is fired.

Imagine that!

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    My opinion would be the PM9. How big are your hands because my opinion is that there is a limit on how small is too small and I have picked up the NAA Guardian .380 and to me it seems to small to comfortably shoot and also be accurate. Again these are just my opinions. God Bless
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm leaning the same way. My hands are about average size, I guess, so I don't need to go too small on a grip.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Easily PM9 here. That NAA .380 is a brick, especially for a .380. Go get something like an LCP if you are OK with a .380. Yes, the PM9 will handle +P. I carry 147g +P HST in mine.

The PM9 is IMO a excellent pistol. I was in a similar situation but was debating between the PM9 and the Sig P238. In the end, I chose the Sig and am very happy with my decision. I was wanting a high quality pocket auto that would handle the hotter .380 loads and the price wasn't really a concern for this purchase. After about thirty minutes of back and forth comparisons between the two, the nod went to the Sig due strictly to size and ease of carry.

The way I look at it, I'll pick up the PM9 somewhere in the near future cause I love my CW9c and have confidence in the design and function, but I don't really need a pistol that's on the cusp of being to large for my need. My carry style during the week is, Primary carry G26, CW9c or PPK is in my briefcase and my BUG is always on my person, so it's gotta be comfortable and can't be visible. Once I leave the office or go out for lunch I put the primary on and disarm once I'm back. I work with several folks that are big time firearms folks and any giveaways would not be a good thing.

I'm a fairly large framed dude (6'2" 230lbs) and the PM9 just didn't do a good job of concealing in my front pocket. I have pants with larger pockets, but not as a standard attire for my office environment. My thoughts in the end was; the Sig will handle the hotter +p rounds and can fit in the front pocket, or on the ankle with no problems. I have a few pocket .380s but none of um were able to handle the +p .380 round. To my knowledge the NNA is not rated for the +p round either, but don't quote me on that. I'm going off memory from some research I did on the NNA a few months back when I was doing a comparison. There's a good forum affiliated to the NNA site and can be found at their main website. I think that's where I came across the (not +p rated) info for the .380.

Back to your question regarding which one. If pocket carry is the main form of carriage, then it's the NNA, but it's a heavy little pocket option IMO.
    If the carriage is either or, and you already have a good pocket option, then the nod goes to the PM9 for caliber and overall CC usage.

JM .2cents, Good luck with your decision.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

should not be a hard decision,PM9 all the way!

I carry a PM9 so that's my answer. You can buy one online from budsgunshop.com today for $625 (vice the $786 you quote). If you are considering a 380 like the NAA, why not look at the Kahr P380. Makes your decision pretty easy - if you value stopping power over size it's the PM9 over the NAA, if size and weight are more important (not to mention real sights and reliability) then it's the P380 over the NAA. If you absolutely must have an all metal gun over every other possible criteria it's the NAA.

I just came back from the range where I finished the 200 round recommended break-in on the PM9 I bought a couple of years ago
    AND on the CW9 I bought a couple of weeks ago.
    I shot a mixed bag of FMJ from both including +P.
    Also shot my probable carry loads:
    Speer Gold Dot 124+P short barrel in the PM9;
    Regular 124+P in the CW9 along with some WW 127 +P+ I had with me.

I honestly don't remember if I had any problems with the PM9 at first, but the last 2 sessions were flawless.As was the CW9.

Hands down-go with the Kahr; it's not hard to control with duty loads and pretty easy with standard practice rounds.
    I have .380's including the LCP, so won't say anything negative there; but I will say the 9mm is way ahead and almost as easy to carry in the PM9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links