Is there a way to update firearm registration? doing private sales.

This is a discussion on Is there a way to update firearm registration? doing private sales. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When doing a private sale, is there a way to update the registration on the firearm? So the firearm is no longer registered in the ...

Thread: Is there a way to update firearm registration? doing private sales.

When doing a private sale, is there a way to update the registration on the firearm?

So the firearm is no longer registered in the seller's name... and the firearm is newly registered in the buyer's name.

(my particular state is WA)

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Well at the risk of giving a 'not really applicable' answer, I know in Maine the only way is to do the transfer through an FFL holder. Most charge some modest fee for the service.

I tend to sell/trade mostly to FFL holders/gun stores. You take a bit more of a financial hit, but I do like the peace of mind.

If your state requires registration check with your local or county PD, they will inform you as to proper procedure.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

We don't register guns here in WA but filling this out is voluntary and would clear you.

Don't do for the government, what they aren't allowed to do. They aren't allowed to do it for a reason.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    Don't do for the government, what they aren't allowed to do. They aren't allowed to do it for a reason.

+100%. I hold an ffl and still feel that way. Just as you would not let a LEO come into your house just to look around ; well you don't have anything to hide do you?; why would you give out a paper trail for a possible gun confiscation later on. If that sounds a bit paranoid, one only has to look to Canada to realize that anything is possible, we now have socialized medicine in this country, similar to Canada.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    When doing a private sale, is there a way to update the registration on the firearm?
    So the firearm is no longer registered in the seller's name... and the firearm is newly registered in the buyer's name.
    (my particular state is WA)Thanks
    Even if your state law doesn't require it , you can have an FFL transfer the gun to the new owner.

They will have to undergo the Federal background check and the dealer will charge a fee.

The firearm will then be officially recorded as
    belonging to the new owner.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Well, your name will always be associated with the gun. Having a dealer transfer it is not "changing the registration"--this isn't a car, you know, and a 4473 is not registration.

Just make a boilerplate bill of sale, listing date of sale, model & serial number, and have both of you sign it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    Well at the risk of giving a 'not really applicable' answer, I know in Maine the only way is to do the transfer through an FFL holder. Most charge some modest fee for the service.

I tend to sell/trade mostly to FFL holders/gun stores. You take a bit more of a financial hit, but I do like the peace of mind.
    There is no registration in Maine and private transfers do not require an FFL holder, 4473, or background check.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    There is no registration in Maine and private transfers do not require an FFL holder, 4473, or background check.
    Ah, sorry the way I worded that made it sound like it was required. It is in fact, not.

Thanks
    What gun registration?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks
    Check the Washington State website - I was told by my local dealer that you can transfer ownership in Washington without an FFL. There is a transfer paper you can download, print, and send in to do so.

I've not found it myself, but I decided to keep the pistol I was going to sell :)

Check SeattleGuns.NET for more information.
    Last edited by BlackBirdCD; June 13th, 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Corrected URL
    Nothing unreal exists

Links