My 1st malfunctions, ever, in 20+ years

This is a discussion on My 1st malfunctions, ever, in 20+ years within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shooting for over 20 years and I've never had a gun to malfunction until this past Thursday. Granted, I was a died-in-the-wool revolver ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st malfunctions, ever, in 20+ years

I've been shooting for over 20 years and I've never had a gun to malfunction until this past Thursday. Granted, I was a died-in-the-wool revolver guy until a couple of years ago, but I've done a ton of shooting with my 6 semi's over the last couple of years.

The first malfunction was with a REVOLVER!?!?!? Sure enough, my trusty Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum. The cylinder locked up and wouldn't budge. I was about 7 cylinders into a box of 50 Remington 158 gr JSPs and on the 3rd pull of the trigger, it locked up. I opened it up, looked at it, messed with it and tried again, and still no go. I went to the table and unloaded and when I dropped the rounds a small circle of brass (looked like the thin trimmings from machining) dropped too. It was binding up the revolver. It was very small and thin, like a brass thread, but that was all it took. It was fine after that, so I chalk it up to an ammo issue. This was my first time shooting Remington .357 range ammo...I need to be extra cautious in inspecting ammo upon loading. When a revolver binds up, it's not a quick fix.

The second malfunction was a nose-dive in my Springfield XD40sc. Easily and quickly cleared, but it just goes to show it happens and you need to be prepared. I can't tell why it happened. I'm not prone to limp wristing (and I have some small semis that are very sinsitive to it), but you never know.

I just thought it was interesting that I had never had a malfunction in two decades and I had two in the same range trip with each type of handgun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've been shooting for over 20 years and I've never had a gun to malfunction until this past Thursday. Granted, I was a died-in-the-wool revolver guy until a couple of years ago, but I've done a ton of shooting with my 6 semi's over the last couple of years.

The first malfunction was with a REVOLVER!?!?!? Sure enough, my trusty Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum. The cylinder locked up and wouldn't budge. I was about 7 cylinders into a box of 50 Remington 158 gr JSPs and on the 3rd pull of the trigger, it locked up. I opened it up, looked at it, messed with it and tried again, and still no go. I went to the table and unloaded and when I dropped the rounds a small circle of brass (looked like the thin trimmings from machining) dropped too. It was binding up the revolver. It was very small and thin, like a brass thread, but that was all it took. It was fine after that, so I chalk it up to an ammo issue. This was my first time shooting Remington .357 range ammo...I need to be extra cautious in inspecting ammo upon loading. When a revolver binds up, it's not a quick fix.

The second malfunction was a nose-dive in my Springfield XD40sc. Easily and quickly cleared, but it just goes to show it happens and you need to be prepared. I can't tell why it happened. I'm not prone to limp wristing (and I have some small semis that are very sinsitive to it), but you never know.

I just thought it was interesting that I had never had a malfunction in two decades and I had two in the same range trip with each type of handgun.
    Just goes to show you that even revolvers can fail
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

My brand new 642 failed after 50 rounds. The cylinder would not index.
    had to send it to S & W. Revolvers do and can fail. Any gun can fail even Glocks.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Hey Bug...what are you doing up @ 02:55 AM?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Anything manmade can fail. At least you were able to correct the situtaions. Revolvers can fail, but that is VERY rare. Semi-autos are usually easier to fix "quickly" when they occur. Tap, rack and you're ready to go again.

If you have never experienced malfunctions in the past, perhaps you should get some snap caps to load into your XD, mixed up with your ammo. This will allow you to practice malfunction drills in a normally reliable handgun.

My Glock 19 has several thousand rounds through it with zero malfunctions. So I have to use snap caps to make her malfunction to keep me sharp. We all want reliable handguns, but we should be prepared to deal w/ malfunctions. Murphy's Law does exist.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It happens ... to anything and everything.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Murphy's law.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by 007BondJames View Post
    My brand new 642 failed after 50 rounds. The cylinder would not index.
    had to send it to S & W. Revolvers do and can fail. Any gun can fail even Glocks.
    The best part is that Glock would probably still fire

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    He probably couldn't sleep due to having nightmares about his first two malfunctions
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Yeah man, malfunctions happen. That's why, no matter the firearm you use, you GOTTA do malfunction drills to be ready to get back into the fight if and when your firearm malfunctions.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    Hey Roy, I took a long nap this afternoon after the car show and now I'm wide awake. I'm hoping to take my newly acquired pump 22 out to Jeffery's today and plink on some of those bowling pins you gave us. Thanks man!!

I looked it up and it was made in July, 1948.

I definitely need to work on my malfunction clearing...thanks for all of the advice guys. It can and will happen, be prepared.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Don't let Jeff shoot it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

kpw
    20 years and no malfunctions? With your luck, I hope your playing the lottery regularly.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I've been shooting for over 20 years and I've never had a gun to malfunction until this past Thursday.
    Don't shoot much huh?

I've had malfunctions with most "bottomfeeder" I own, even the Glocks.

I've even had malfunctions with revolving pistols. These malfunctions have taught me that no man made item is immune to failure. That's why I advocate carrying two guns and practicing malfunction drills.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 13th, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo

malfunction drills and a bug. Gotta get me a snubbie

one is none, two is one and three is better
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

i had a ruger bisley vaquero that did the same thing! the cylinder locked up, and i had to take it out to remove the remaining live rounds. this and a jamming P90 has me no longer interested in this brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links