carrying a derringer

carrying a derringer

This is a discussion on carrying a derringer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you carry your derringer 2 shot? Safety on with hammer down or safety on with hammer in half cock?...

carrying a derringer

How do you carry your derringer 2 shot? Safety on with hammer down or safety on with hammer in half cock?

That gun will get you hurt son. Both ways are dangerous if the gun is dropped unless it has a hammer block safety which few do. You do not say what the make of the weapon is.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It has a safety hammer block and its a Cobra CB38 .38 special. Read many reviews from professionals who recommended it as a good quality budget gun.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The problem with a hammer block is that pressing the trigger releases the block. Does your derringer have a trigger guard? Or is it exposed like most derringers, which makes it easy to release the block?

Half-cocked is my thought, but....?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member
    I carry one on occasion. Hammer down.

I've got a Bond Arms Snake Slayer but I can't quite decide to carry it all the time. It's more of a gun to grab at night as I take a walk out to the pump house or take the dog for a walk.

I think it's perfectly safe with the cross bolt safety on. But it only has two shots and it is a bit harder to handle than, say an SP101 DAO.

My friend carries another brand, can't remember what it is, and I used to kid him about always carrying it or some gun every time he so much as stepped out of the house. Even to get the mail out at the street. That is until a pack of dogs came at him one day while at the mail box. He simply pulled the derringer and put a round into the ground right in front of them and changed their focus. Good thing they weren't even more intent or he would of had a problem, but it worked and I decided not to kid him any more about it. Meanwhile there have been mountain lions and bears around my place.

The main advantage of the derringer might be it's size, but the Bond is pretty large and seems like more of a novelty gun or a snake gun while out walking. Might as well move on up the the Ruger or the S&W 686+ if out on the trail. The derringer with a couple of 410 shot shells could certainly do some damage though.

hammer down!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
    I've got a Bond Arms Snake Slayer but I can't quite decide to carry it all the time. It's more of a gun to grab at night as I take a walk out to the pump house or take the dog for a walk.

I think it's perfectly safe with the cross bolt safety on. But it only has two shots and it is a bit harder to handle than, say an SP101 DAO.

My friend carries another brand, can't remember what it is, and I used to kid him about always carrying it or some gun every time he so much as stepped out of the house. Even to get the mail out at the street. That is until a pack of dogs came at him one day while at the mail box. He simply pulled the derringer and put a round into the ground right in front of them and changed their focus. Good thing they weren't even more intent or he would of had a problem, but it worked and I decided not to kid him any more about it. Meanwhile there have been mountain lions and bears around my place.

The main advantage of the derringer might be it's size, but the Bond is pretty large and seems like more of a novelty gun or a snake gun while out walking. Might as well move on up the the Ruger or the S&W 686+ if out on the trail. The derringer with a couple of 410 shot shells could certainly do some damage though.
    derringers aren't really my thing, but Bonds Arms make a top notch gun. I go to Granbury a couple of times a month, and one day a couple of years ago I went by their shop with a vendor so he could pick up his new derringer. If your into these types of guns, they make a great product.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The best defense against snake bits is to step back. The adreneline-inspired leap of faith will usually put you into a safe zone long before you can draw a gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

los
    Whats the weight of the Cobra 38 ..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I carried a deringer (a Davis 380) back in the late 80's and 90's. That was before the KT pistols and other mouseguns were available and a deringer was the smallest gun you could find in a reasonable size caliber. I carried mine (which I still own, FWIW) in the half-cocked, safety off position inside a small, soft leather pocket holster. As it worked out, that holster was a perfect fit for the P-3AT I purchased to replace the deringer a number of years ago.

These days a small pocket semi-auto - like a Kel-Tec or Ruger in .380 or maybe 9mm - will do the job better, but I'd rather have two shots from a deringer than nothing at all.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Links