Glock pistol question

Glock pistol question

This is a discussion on Glock pistol question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be a new Glock 23 owner in two weeks, proud to make the jump to the dark side. However I have read that ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock pistol question

Glock pistol question

I will be a new Glock 23 owner in two weeks, proud to make the jump to the dark side. However I have read that it is not good to press the slide release and let the slide slam on a chambered round, only to rack the slide by hand, and strip one off the top of the mag. Then drop and replace the round for full capacity.

I have done that on a chambered round in my Beretta, what is the difference? Will that damage extractors in both pistols?

Thx
    Glock 19
    Glock 23

I have the fever,

I wouldn't place a round in the chamber manually with a Glock. Always do it from the magazine, otherwise, you can damage the extractor. I'm not familiar with Berettas, but I always use a slide release to chamber a round with all of my other guns (Ruger LCP, Glock, Kahr, etc.).

Yes. The extractors are not designed to be slammed over the rims

12Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I used to either pull back the slide or use the slide release when going plus one but I broke that habit after reading I really shouldn't do it but many years ago when I had my Gen 2 Glock 17 I used the unapproved method all the time and never had an issue.

I've become one of those that chambers a round from the magazine then tops it off but I only unload my G27 now when I need to clean it. My G17 stays locked up most of the time as it is not my primary EDC.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by WhoWeBePart1; June 13th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

VIP Member
    Seriously, the slide release on the Glock isn't really designed for easy and reliable use to release the slide. It's just a good tactical practice to release the slide by drawing it reward by hand. Especially in a stressful situation. To me it's a slide lock on all my pistols, not a slide release.

I also always load from the magazine. Just me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thank you for the input. Very useful information. I'd like not to have to replace parts on something that can be avoided.
    Glock 19
    Glock 23

I have the fever,

i have to agree with them!!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by GLO23 View Post
    I will be a new Glock 23 owner in two weeks, proud to make the jump to the dark side. However I have read that it is not good to press the slide release and let the slide slam on a chambered round, only to rack the slide by hand, and strip one off the top of the mag. Then drop and replace the round for full capacity.

I have done that on a chambered round in my Beretta, what is the difference? Will that damage extractors in both pistols?

Thx
    bro that b.s what they said i always do it in all my glock never had a issue

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Seriously, the slide release on the Glock isn't really designed for easy and reliable use to release the slide. It's just a good tactical practice to release the slide by drawing it reward by hand. Especially in a stressful situation. To me it's a slide lock on all my pistols, not a slide release.

I understand what you stating but with practice it is not an issue. If I'm reloading my thumb will hit the slide lock down to chamber a round. It has become muscle memory and I have no problems nor have I ever had an issue doing this. It just works but that is just me.

It's a slide lock. It holds the slide open. Don't use it to close the slide.

Another good reason to not do this: In a situation, you will revert to your training, and grabbing the slide is going to be a lot easier than fumbling with a little tab. Remember, coarse motor skills only.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GLO23 View Post
    I I have read that it is not good to press the slide release and let the slide slam on a chambered round, only to rack the slide by hand, and strip one off the top of the mag. Then drop and replace the round for full capacity.
    Thx
    -------------

Glock Manual

2. Introduce or insert the magazine into the magazine shaft until the magazine catch engages fully
    3. Pull back the slide with free hand, and allow it to spring forwards into the final position. The
    trigger finger of the shooting hand remains outside the trigger guard. The weapon is now
    secured and ready to fire.
    4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from
    the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push
    the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it
    to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'm pretty sure Glock calls it a "Slide Release" in their manuals. They even say you can use it to chamber a round from the magazine.

It is totally safe and will not harm your Glock at all if you chamber a round from the mag by using the slide release.

*Edited - beat by 2 minutes by AKsrule.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    It's a slide lock. It holds the slide open. Don't use it to close the slide. ....
    Sorry, in Glock terminology it's a slide stop.

And dropping the slide on a chambered round is a bad idea in most autos. Some manufacturers explicitly state not to do it, others don't mention it at all. It applies unintended forces to the extractor.

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

+1....
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    Sorry, in Glock terminology t's a slide stop.

And dropping the slide on a chambered round is a bad idea in most autos. Some manufacturers explicitly state not to do it, others don't mention it at all. It applies unintended forces to the extractor.

+1
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links