G19 Grip Chop

This is a discussion on G19 Grip Chop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I welded the cut-off barrel onto the other to give me a longer sighting radius. Back at cha, Rollo! ;-)...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: G19 Grip Chop

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I welded the cut-off barrel onto the other to give me a longer sighting radius.

Back at cha, Rollo! ;-)
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

los
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...Excuse me, I think I'll cut one of the barrels off my double coach gun.
    Great idea..!!

The short barrel could be designated for extreme CQB engagement and the longer one for,...a little beyond extreme CQB engagement..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Nice chop indeed.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i honestly gave up on carrying my g26 as i found it just as easy to conceal the 19...the small difference in grip length doesnt really make the gun that much more concealable...and if you do decide to drop a +2 mag extansion on for the extra pinky grip you totally defeat the purpose...

i'm having a hard time with this modification myself...the added barrel length and sight radius over a g26 might be an advantage but i guess i would have looked into a g26 purchase before cutting a 19 down...

nice job by the way...its yours and your choice...glad it worked out for you...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I really am having trouble understanding the point in this. Why not just trade for a g 26 if you want a shorter grip?
    +1...I'm still sitting here shaking my head...***???
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

????

what is the trigger on that unit?? safty?
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Good job on the chop. That being said, WHY?

Resale value, gone. I would expect to sell it for between $175 and $225.
    You're going to have to get rid of it through a private sale, as no gun shop would take this as a trade in, or place it on consignment.
    Why would I buy this when I could buy a G26? I wouldn't.
    Being able to find someone who would actually buy this gun or accept it in a trade, minimized to the extreme.
    Possibility a dumb cop might arrest you for some imaginary modification crime, now existant.

Extreme answers to simple problems rarely are worth the effort and consequences. You could have just bought a G26, or traded your G19 for a G26.
    If there was warranty, it's probably gone now.

That being said, if you intend on keeping this gun until the day you die, then good for you. You still did a pretty good chop job.

Quote Originally Posted by steyrsdad View Post
    what is the trigger on that unit?? safty?
    It is the Siderlock trigger safety. I know that Glocks are really safe the way they are but as I am new to carrying I wanted an extra piece of mind.

To all the doubters, a gun is a very personal item. What works for one person may not work for another but this works for me. I like the sight radius on my g19 but the grip caused my concealment problems so as a do-it-yourself guy I made it work for me. When I took it to a range the other day I was still hitting clay targets at approximately 100 ft.

I have seen this done by some custom shops and I wanted show people that it can be done in your own garage.
    camsdaddy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    not doubters...everyone agrees you did a great job....

more like wonderers....

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    not doubters...everyone agrees you did a great job....

more like wonderers....
    Either way it works for me. If it would work for everyone it would be a standard option, but its not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Good job on the chop. That being said, WHY?

Resale value, gone. I would expect to sell it for between $175 and $225.
    You're going to have to get rid of it through a private sale, as no gun shop would take this as a trade in, or place it on consignment.
    Why would I buy this when I could buy a G26? I wouldn't.
    Being able to find someone who would actually buy this gun or accept it in a trade, minimized to the extreme.
    Possibility a dumb cop might arrest you for some imaginary modification crime, now existant.
    I don't plan on ever selling my gun. You are correct that others won't value this modification like I do. It fits my needs so I will never need to sell it. That problem solved.

Extreme answers to simple problems rarely are worth the effort and consequences. You could have just bought a G26, or traded your G19 for a G26.
    If there was warranty, it's probably gone now.
    Shorter barrels are less accurate. All shooting competitors shoot with the longest barrel that will work for them. It's plain physics. If I am going to be carrying I want to carry a gun that I am confident that I will hit my target.

That being said, if you intend on keeping this gun until the day you die, then good for you. You still did a pretty good chop job.
    I do plan on keeping this gun till I die, and thanks for the compliment I thought it turned out well myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    He did. He could also use a g 19 mag. Or a glock 26 mag with a standard floor plate. Or a 26 mag with a gap floor plate. It's all about options and that mod gives him more.
    I think you are the only one who gets it. I wanted the option of how I carried. Whether I carry with my 15 rd, 10 rd, or a +1 magazine. This also gives me the option to carry a 10rd with a 15rd backup.

Thanks for getting it. I was starting to believe I posted this on the wrong forum.

Can we get some beter pics of the end of the grip, without a mag in it?
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Quote Originally Posted by proverbs308 View Post
    I think you are the only one who gets it. I wanted the option of how I carried. Whether I carry with my 15 rd, 10 rd, or a +1 magazine. This also gives me the option to carry a 10rd with a 15rd backup.

Thanks for getting it. I was starting to believe I posted this on the wrong forum.
    The reason I went with a Glock 26 was because I wanted the option of having a shorter grip because I'm a small guy and the 2 finger grip makes a massive difference on being able to conceal the gun while still wearing clothes that fit. However I would have preferred the longer sight radius and accessory rail on a 19. By chopping the handle you basically get the best of both worlds. If I were to carry a 19 with this mod I would carry it a 26 mag with a gap floor plate and then when I went to bed I would put in a 19 mag and stick a light on the front.

I love my 26 but if I had it to do over again I would go with a 19 and have this mod done to it.

Edit - It's kinda like the 1911's with the commander slides but the officers grip. (I think I got the names right)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I thought they did - the G26
    ditto
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links