G19 Grip Chop

This is a discussion on G19 Grip Chop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WC145 I thought they did - the G26 lol...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: G19 Grip Chop

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I thought they did - the G26
    lol
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I once took a .38 Special revolver and drilled out the barrel and cylinder holes to fit .44 Magnum rounds. Then I took a wide auger bit and drilled new rifling in the barrel.

KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

oh wow i was going to have a heart attack there!^^
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I recently bobtailed my 5" 1911, which is my daily cooler weather carry. There wasn't any brand of 1911 that I could find that offered a bobtailed government model, so I performed the conversion myself. I bought an Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housing along with his pin hole relocating jig and started cutting and blending. The project came out quite well.

This bobtail treatment is awesome for concealed carry of a 1911. Any hint of printing when bending/leaning over is on par with an officer's length grip, but without the sharp lower corner of the officer grip digging in the heel of my extra large hand when gripping the gun. I also get to keep the fullsize magazine capacity of 8 rounds vs. the officer's shorter, one round less version.

On the draw from a typically forward canted carry holster, the gun now rolls right up in my hand with no searching or fumbling for a secure handhold around the grip. The once unmodified 1911 grip along with a forward canted holster would cause me to have to settle the slack out of my handhold right after drawing before I felt confident enough to put shots accurately on target.

Congratulations on taking the leap to modify your G19 to serve your purposes. I, too, enjoy keeping the benefits of better ballistics and a longer sight radius with my now easier to conceal 1911 just as you have done with your G19.

Now if Glock would just do a blend job on the front end of all their slides like they do on the baby Glock models, they would look a whole lot better and a lot less like a "Block"!

VIP Member
    Time to start marketing that mod!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

As others have said, "not something I'd do", but I have to admit that you did a good job, and if I did want to get that done, I'd give you a call.

I have both guns, a G19 and a G26. For me I might have taken a G26 and used a G19 barrel in it, if all you wanted was the longer barrel. For me the sight radius length difference is negligible. I am just as accurate with either set up, or my G17 for what thats worth.

I don't wonder why you did it, that is obvious. It is your gun and you are never getting rid of it. You made it fit your needs, just like someone adding a light, or other Tact-ti-cool stuff to [insert your pistol/rifle/shotgun make/model here]. Most people just try to shy away from the permanent mods, as they cannot be undone.

All I can say is "Good job making your pistol yours and happy shooting."
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by proverbs308 View Post
    It is the Siderlock trigger safety. I know that Glocks are really safe the way they are but as I am new to carrying I wanted an extra piece of mind.

To all the doubters, a gun is a very personal item. What works for one person may not work for another but this works for me. I like the sight radius on my g19 but the grip caused my concealment problems so as a do-it-yourself guy I made it work for me. When I took it to a range the other day I was still hitting clay targets at approximately 100 ft.

I have seen this done by some custom shops and I wanted show people that it can be done in your own garage.

I understand why you chopped the grip and I like it; you did a very good job! . Thanks for sharing.
    However, the trigger safety is something different - and a really mean well when saying this -; IMO, the “peace of mind” that it gives you is actually the totally opposite, because it is only risking your life. A trigger lock like that can be very hard to deactivate in a stressful situation, if you remember about it at all. Furthermore, if you are unfortunate and need to use the gun to defend your or your family’s life you might not even have the time needed to deactivate it.

When you carry that Glock in a holster and the siderlock trigger safety is not engaged the gun will not go off by itself. Just keep your finger away from the trigger and do not play around with the gun, and then you will be safe. Perhaps you could unload the pistol, rack the slide, and carry it at home without engaging the siderlock trigger safety in order to get used to it; you will very soon realize that the gun does not go off by itself and that the siderlock trigger safety is totally unnecessary. I think that perhaps you need to know the pistol a little more so you can feel confident when carrying it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I understand why you chopped the grip and I like it; you did a very good job! . Thanks for sharing.
    However, the trigger safety is something different - and a really mean well when saying this -; IMO, the “peace of mind” that it gives you is actually the totally opposite, because it is only risking your life. A trigger lock like that will be very hard for you to deactivate in a stressful situation, if you remember about it at all. Furthermore, if you are unfortunate and need to use the gun to defend your or your family’s life you might not even have the time needed to deactivate it.

When you carry that Glock in a holster and the siderlock trigger safety is not engaged the gun will not go off by itself. Just keep your finger away from the trigger and do not play around with the gun, and then you will be safe. Perhaps you could unload the pistol, rack the slide, and carry it at home without engaging the siderlock trigger safety in order to get used to it; you will very soon realize that the gun does not go off by itself and that the siderlock trigger safety is totally unnecessary. I think that you perhaps need to know the pistol a little more so you can feel confident when carrying it.
    I agree that a trigger safety on a glock is not needed and if you want a gun with a safety you should buy one that comes stock with one. The interesting part for me is that you think it will be difficult to disengage in a stressful situation. I can see both sides of this. My initial reaction is to say yes, I think ANY safety will be difficult to disengage in a stressful situation (Hence part of the reason I bought a glock) but the other side of the coin is that I know as soon as I made that argument everyone that carries a 1911 is going to jump in and say "If you train with it....muscle memory....practice practice practice... I don't even have to think about turning my safety off..." I guess my point is that I don't see that trigger safety being any more difficult to disengage in a stressful situation then the thumb safety on a 1911 (Or any other gun) HOWEVER I don't like safeties on ANY of my defensive firearms.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I agree that a trigger safety on a glock is not needed and if you want a gun with a safety you should buy one that comes stock with one. The interesting part for me is that you think it will be difficult to disengage in a stressful situation. I can see both sides of this. My initial reaction is to say yes, I think ANY safety will be difficult to disengage in a stressful situation (Hence part of the reason I bought a glock) but the other side of the coin is that I know as soon as I made that argument everyone that carries a 1911 is going to jump in and say "If you train with it....muscle memory....practice practice practice... I don't even have to think about turning my safety off..." I guess my point is that I don't see that trigger safety being any more difficult to disengage in a stressful situation then the thumb safety on a 1911 (Or any other gun) HOWEVER I don't like safeties on ANY of my defensive firearms.
    + 1

The Operator should become profecient with his/her CCW, whether the subject weapon has safety features,.. or not..!!

practice, Practice,..PRACTICE..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Biggest issue with the Sliderlock is that it is NOT ambidextrous. If you need to shoot one-handed with your support hand, you are up the creek. Bad, bad idea.

I thought about doing this mod myself, but I am glad I bought the G26 instead, as a complement to my G19. The G19 now sees mostly home defense duty (with a light and CT Lasergrip) while the G26 sees carry duty (CT Laserguard and G19 mag inserted).

I use the Smartcarry, so the G26's slightly shorter slide is a plus for comfort when sitting, while the longer G19 mag gives more capacity and also forces the pistol left (I wear it at 11:00) where it has more room down my left leg.

As others have said, I don't find a difference in the sight radius, and you can always add the G19 barrel into the G26 if you want the extra barrel length. All you would really be missing is the accessory rail.

I also really like having both, in case one needs to go out for repair or whatever.

I'm glad you like the mod, and kudos for doing it yourself - I just could not bear the idea of chopping my beloved Glock!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Rollo, you read mind for a long time ago

It is totally true what you say about the 1911’s decocker; I daily carry a DW 1911 or a BHP, and the only way to do not forget the decocker is practicing.

About why I think that it is more difficult with that type of trigger safety: I totally agree with you when you say that muscle memory is very important, and that if the OP practice using that safety it will be much easier. However, I decocke my 1911 while drawing before it even left the holster, but you cannot do it with that trigger lock. Or I could decocke it while the gun still is in the holster if I wanted. Furthermore, the position of the trigger lock makes it more difficult to disengage it even with practice. test doing something; since you do not carry a 1911 you are not used to the decocker (or the trigger lock) and for that reason you will not “cheat”. Unload your G26 and simulate that you are decocking it, and after it that you are disengaging the trigger safety; try to do it very fast. Even with practice the trigger safety is easier to miss than the decocker. The other thing is that you use the same finger to disengage the trigger lock than to pull the trigger, which implies that you cannot put that finger on the trigger until after you have disengaged the safety, and that does not happen when decocking a 1911. Now imagine doing it in a situation there the adrenaline is almost pumping out from your eyes and your ears, there tenths of seconds might decide if you will walk home or if they will carry you somewhere.

Like you I do not like manual safeties on DAO pistols; I also carry a MK9, and it does not have any manual safeties, but I believe that putting a trigger lock like the OP did is perhaps one of the most inappropriate safeties for a SD weapon.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Nice job on the cut.

I really don't understand what people don't get. He wanted a G19 with a G26 grip. So, that's what he has.

It's not a G26, so if he would have bought one, it wouldn't be the same thing. The G26 would have given him a shorter barrel, which he did not want.

There's no way I could ever get the courage to do something like that. Kudo's to you!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the 1911 is not eqipped with a decocker...it is equipped with a safety...a decocker drops the hammer on a hammer block to "decock" the hammer and render the firearm unable to fire unless it is a da/sa trigger equipped firearm which will allow a long pull da shot and subsequent sa shots...

i always thought becoming profficient with the operation of a gun was enough also...until i attended my first and then subsequent defensive pistol training classes...at all of the classes and idpa events i have attented there were very experienced 1911 shooters who were quick on the draw and very accurate with their shooting...except for the few times they didnt get the safeties off under stress...when it happenes its too late and no amount of backtracking will bring back the ability of the gun to shoot when it was originally intended to...its over....

what many 1911 carriers do to prevent this is to holster the gun with the safety engaged and flick the safety off once holstered...the grip safety and booger hook off the bang switch become the only safeties then and we dont have to worry about missing the safety in a real event with real stress...the only thing they have to worry about is the safety being inadvertantly engaged...then we hope the muscle memory and training make their way to the right place at the right time....

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    the 1911 is not eqipped with a decocker...it is equipped with a safety...a decocker drops the hammer on a hammer block to "decock" the hammer and render the firearm unable to fire unless it is a da/sa trigger equipped firearm which will allow a long pull da shot and subsequent sa shots...

i always thought becoming profficient with the operation of a gun was enough also...until i attended my first and then subsequent defensive pistol training classes...at all of the classes and idpa events i have attented there were very experienced 1911 shooters who were quick on the draw and very accurate with their shooting...except for the few times they didnt get the safeties off under stress...when it happenes its too late and no amount of backtracking will bring back the ability of the gun to shoot when it was originally intended to...its over....

what many 1911 carriers do to prevent this is to holster the gun with the safety engaged and flick the safety off once holstered...the grip safety and booger hook off the bang switch become the only safeties then and we dont have to worry about missing the safety in a real event with real stress...the only thing they have to worry about is the safety being inadvertantly engaged...then we hope the muscle memory and training make their way to the right place at the right time....
    You are right about the decockert! Bad me

I have been thinking about that concerning flicking the safety of once holstered. Actually, that was a question that I was planning to post in this forum. I do not want to Hijack this thread, for that reason I will start other one with this question.

EDIT: Here is the thread about flicking the safety of once holstered, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1661563

los
    You're either pregnant, or you're not. Same goes for being proficient with your CCW.

There are no in-betweens.
    RTF_Squared likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links