G19 Grip Chop

This is a discussion on G19 Grip Chop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by greenLED ...but a G26 can... I admire your workmanship, but count me on the side of the "wonderers". What I wonder is ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: G19 Grip Chop

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    ...but a G26 can...

I admire your workmanship, but count me on the side of the "wonderers".
    What I wonder is how a prosecutor would try to spin it if it was ever used in a SD shooting?

2. Remove Ads

What I wonder is how a prosecutor would try to spin it if it was ever used in a SD shooting?
    His Hand Modified Death Machine!!!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The thing is that you can be plenty proficient while practicing but when put into a situation not so much. I'm crazy accurate with my glock 26 however if the paper started shooting back I have no idea what would happen to my groups

Oh, so true! But I thought everyone could stand rock-solid in a hail of bullets in any SD situation? Rollo--my thoughts exactly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page

I would send it here for something like this, but in no way would I do it myself. Looks good enough, but just think that is better left to the professionals. As far as understanding why somebody would want something like this, lookat the XDm 3.8....LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Oak

Great Idea

I love this idea for a variety of reasons, and Glock shouldn't be so stuffy and should provide options OPTIONS.

In the state I live in, a chopped G17 would also be very nice, as I have a 15-round magazine limitation, which precludes me from owning a G17, unless I want to go down to the 10-round magazine version. With that mod, I could essentially have a G17 and use the G19 magazines for it and would gain another 5 rounds with the G17's sight radius, ballistics, etc.

But, even though that would be nice, I would definitely love a chopped G23 for the options it would give me. As others in this thread have stated, owning a gun is a personal thing and carrying one is also. I like the G26, but I would prefer the longer sight radius of the G19 and the improved ballistic speed due to the longer barrel. I am also short and have a body that, although for most, it is easy to conceal the G19, it isn't as much fun for me to conceal and is a lot harder. As for the 26, I do not like that my pinky dangles off of it, but with a finger grip base plate (not a plus one, etc.) I would be happy. And, because of the way I choose to carry, I can certainly carry a G26 better with the flush plate, but I can also carry it more concealable with the base plate that allows me to put all my fingers on the grip, but which also is shorter in the back and with the gun canted, etc. it is more concealable. And, as we spoke of options, I would choose a G23 and get a 9mm conversion barrel for it, an Advantage Arms conversion kit, plenty of base plates with the finger extension, TFO sights, and chop it down. That would allow me to use ALL Glock 9mm and .40 S&W magazines and all the varieties (legal within my state) that I could, and I would have the option of shooting either 9mm or .40 S&W. Heck, I could even pickup a .357 SIG barrel for even more versatility. I could use it as a .40 w/ a finger base plate and carry a Glock 22 magazine for backup, or I could carry it as a 9mm and carry the G19 magazine for backup giving me the best conceal ability while still allowing me to get all my fingers on the grip. And, although I don't have a laser/light combo, etc. the G19/G23 frame would give me more options in that regard.

Would I do this to my first G19 or 23, probably not. I love my G19. But if I found an old beater Glock with slightly less desirable cosmetics (Or if I was truly allowed to express my Second Amendment right in NJ), I would seek out a qualified shop to do the chop, or buy an extra used lower to do it with and keep the original intact. And, if you have the same generation Glock, your modified G19/G23 would have the SAME internal parts as your unmodified G19/G23... Good for SHTF, storing extra springs, etc.

+1 and great idea. Glock should at least sell the modified lowers as aftermarket Accessories. An extra lower would additionally be nice because it would enable me to have a "dedicated" .22LR with the AA kit mounted on it....

Options are good. This is also a benefit of having a plastic gun... it can be modified. So, who has a G23 to sell me? I don't buy Glocks for collector value. They are arguably beautiful working pistols....

Now, if I could just get a modified one with a Walther PPQ trigger and ergonomics... WOW. Oh, and while I am at it... I would like a single stack 9mm that would compare with the awesome, new M&P Shield.

I like that mod but don't have the nerve to do it. I'd mess it up. But anyway you did good on it and it does very much so have a purpose.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I chopped my full-size M&P down to the compact grip.

Before I got my CCDW I open carried and didn't mind hauling around a full size, but once I got the CCDW it was a little harder to carry the full size IWB. At first I started to go buy an M&P compact but after shooting a buddies I was nowhere as proficient with it as I was my full size, not sure why but the shorter sight radius just didn't soot me.

So I went to work on the full size. Overall I am very happy with it and carry it 90% of the time over my recent purchase of an M&P shield which I carry when dressed up.

I also got rid of the beaver tail and did a stipple job, also the back straps can still be changed if I feel the need to do so.

It's all about what fits you and you shoot best.
    Mike1956 and RTF_Squared like this.

OP I think you did a great job. The only one that needs to like it is you.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Man, that is a great mod. You did an excellent job with that. It looks nice as well, without that long grip hanging down.

86slovo: Nice job! I never regretted chopping mine. The first cut is the hardest. After that it is pure love.

Quote Originally Posted by joeljudd View Post
    86slovo: Nice job! I never regretted chopping mine. The first cut is the hardest. After that it is pure love.
    I agree I was very nervous lol, I cut it all about 1/8 long and went to work with the file to make it all perfect.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I thought they did - the G26
    Yup. When I wanted a smaller Glock 9mm, I just went out and acquired a G26. The G19 has much to recommend it on its own merits, why would I want to chop it down?

If you guys like chop jobs these two were customized by the late great Austin Behlert before the factories started offering compact 1911s and big bore snubby revolvers. The Colt started out as a full size Gov't Model. He cut the slide and barrel down to 4" and cut and rewelded the grip frame (it's about 1/8" shorter than an Officers Model frame) and did a slew of other mods. The revolver is a S&W 25-2 .45acp that had the 6" barrel cut to about 2.75" and the grip frame reduced to k-frame round butt configuration, this one also has a number of other mods but those are the two most obvious.

GhostMaker and sonnycrocket like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

This idea has the squirells in my head running. Dang gonna have to look at my 19 at lunch time. Ive been thinking of trading my 19 for a 26. I carry appendix and smart carry and find that the length of the grip is the only advantage I see 26 having over the 19. I know most think the opposite but in my case printing wise the 26 shines

Funny Im again researching chops. I see I was considering chopping my 19 last year this time. I currently have a 17 that I am debating chopping to 26.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links