Glock Barrel and cleaning

This is a discussion on Glock Barrel and cleaning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a G27. I didn't get the manual or the supplied cleaning brush. I think in the past I read somewhere that you ...

Thread: Glock Barrel and cleaning

I recently purchased a G27. I didn't get the manual or the supplied cleaning brush. I think in the past I read somewhere that you can't use just any cleaning brush in these guns as it will damage the barrel.

I am using a standard walmart .40 cleaning kit. I think the cleaning brush is brass/copper(really not sure)

Will I damage the barrel or should I be using the cleaning brush that's supplied from Glock?
    Rossi .357mag
    SA XDM .40
    Glock G27

Quote Originally Posted by Oilhammer View Post
    I recently purchased a G27. I didn't get the manual or the supplied cleaning brush. I think in the past I read somewhere that you can't use just any cleaning brush in these guns as it will damage the barrel.

I am using a standard walmart .40 cleaning kit. I think the cleaning brush is brass/copper(really not sure)

Will I damage the barrel or should I be using the cleaning brush that's supplied from Glock?
    well I used before once , but I always use cotton pads , if the gun is not dirty and dont have any copper falling you dont need the brush , just my .02 cent

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Easy enough to pick up a nylon (?) brush at the local GS or WW if it makes you feel better. Brass brushes have been around for years and I've never heard of one damaging steel rifling. I normally use nylon, brass only if it looks like nylon didn't do the job.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Easy enough to pick up a nylon (?) brush at the local GS or WW if it makes you feel better. Brass brushes have been around for years and I've never heard of one damaging steel rifling. I normally use nylon, brass only if it looks like nylon didn't do the job.
    Amen! Considering that the steel in a barrel is much, much harder than brass or bronze, I have never understood how they can damage a barrel.

I have a High Standard match .22 that has well over 25,000 rounds through it and brass brushes have been used for its entire lifetime. From a machine rest, it still puts all rounds in the 10-ring of a standard B25 with the majority in the X-ring.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I generally only use the cotton patches after a day at the range. I do have the Glock supplied brush if necessary. I don't see where a brass or bronze brush would hurt that barrel though.

kpw
    Nope...bronze works just fine for years and years and....you get the picture.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I use a bore snake. You can wash it in the washing machine when it gets really dirty and it will last forever.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

thank ya guys for all the feedback....
    Rossi .357mag
    SA XDM .40
    Glock G27

i use a normal brass brush to clean all my glocks. i use them to clean all my guns. have so for many mango seasons and never damage a barrel. i also use hoppies number 9.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You probably wouldn't ever need a brass brush on a Glock barrel as you advised against shooting lead through it. All the same I can't imagine it would hurt a thing. I just use the nylon one it came with.

Glock Barrel and Cleaning??

Clean with wire brush or target star folk spring. Just don't over do it as it only needs to get cleaned every 2-3K rounds. Mine do and I can shoot a Bad Guy to the ground in that time...
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Sponsored Links