New Pocket Gun

This is a discussion on New Pocket Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im having trouble deciding on a new pocket gun. Im torn between: ruger lcp taurus slim 709 kel- tech pf-9 i dont want to spend ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pocket Gun

New Pocket Gun

Im having trouble deciding on a new pocket gun.
    Im torn between: ruger lcp
    taurus slim 709
    kel- tech pf-9
    i dont want to spend much over 300$ its gonna be used more for summer carry. I have xdsc-9 with iswb. for cooler weather but I want something small i can carry in my shorts that can be easily concealed with simply a t shirt.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by subcompact04 View Post
    Im having trouble deciding on a new pocket gun.
    Im torn between: ruger lcp
    taurus slim 709
    kel- tech pf-9
    i dont want to spend much over 300$ its gonna be used more for summer carry. I have xdsc-9 with iswb. for cooler weather but I want something small i can carry in my shorts that can be easily concealed with simply a t shirt.
    Ruger LCP is going to be far and away the easiest/most concealable/comfortable to pocket carry. That's not to say that you can't pocket carry a 709 or a PF-9, plenty of guys do. The LCP is just more along the lines of a true pocket gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i'm seeign a pattern of desire for a 9mm pocket gun in the op...

i would read every range report for both the choices...they both seem to have a good reputation at this point..

LCP is by far the better of the three for pocket duty. If it'll be used for pocket and or hip, I'd go for the PF9. Not nocking the Taurus, I own one.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have the Taurus PT709 and admit that the Ruger LCP or even the Taurus TCP would be better for pocket carry. I hope this helps. God Bless !!!

Tried carring pocket carrying PF9 and it was just to large for summer clothes.

Went P3AT and it has worked very well as CC, and has been 100% in every way.

Might check out P3AT as it has a very good record of performance.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

the only thing im kinda hesitant about the lcp and the p3at is the fact of the
    .380 id kinda like to stay with a 9mm. ammo is cheaper and easier to come by in my area. but im not absolutely against it yet. but my dad has a colt mustang i can carry if i want to in .380.

Quote Originally Posted by subcompact04 View Post
    the only thing im kinda hesitant about the lcp and the p3at is the fact of the
    .380 id kinda like to stay with a 9mm. ammo is cheaper and easier to come by in my area. but im not absolutely against it yet. but my dad has a colt mustang i can carry if i want to in .380.
    Well, If you were asking which is the best pocket gun in 9mm then I would have to change my answer lol. To the original question of the best pocket gun I would go with the LCP. If you want 9mm I would go with the PF9
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Anything against a revolver? Maybe an LCR or S&W 442. They are surprisingly easy to pocket carry.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

i dont have anything against a revolver id like a smith but cant afford an airweight

I have been having an internal battle with my CCW purchase as well, but mine is more between calibers. I think for .380 and <$300 the best way to go would be the LCP. The P3AT is nice too but the Ruger just has a little more going for it and isn't much more coin.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I would choose the PF9 out of these choices.It has the power of the 9mm is a small package.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Add one vote for the PT709:

I thought I was wanting a pocket gun, but after holding the KelTec and other clone pocket guns, and realizing these things were not even comfortable to HOLD, much less to shoot, I decided on the slightly larger Taurus. It will still pocket carry, is super thin, but still allows for a full grip and is actually fun to shoot.
    Shoot 10 rounds with one of the Kel_tec types and I will bet you are done for the day.
    The PT709 still disappears in a large cargo pants pocket, and is light enough to be comfortably carried IWB or ankle...
    but the best feature is that the gun is dependable, light weight, and comfortable to shoot... after all, what good is a pocket pistol if it hurts to practice with it so that you can't hit what you aim it at? You might as well plan to throw it at your Bad Guy and plan a fast exit.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    For comfortable pocket carry, the LCP seems to me to be the only practical choice. The other two are just too large to carry in your pocket comfortably.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I own an LCP and have had no problems and carry it every day.

I also own a PF9 and have never carried it yet because of reliability concerns. After more than 600 rounds through the PF9 I have had probably a good 150 or more FTF problems. I need to send it back in for repairs, and will pass further judgement when I get it back, but for now I have no faith in a Kel-Tec.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links