Nice to carry, painful to shoot

This is a discussion on Nice to carry, painful to shoot within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in the hot and humid temps of Alabama and wanted a nice pocket gun that wouldn't rust from me sweating a lot so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice to carry, painful to shoot

I work in the hot and humid temps of Alabama and wanted a nice pocket gun that wouldn't rust from me sweating a lot so I picked up a Cobra Derringer CB38 .38 special. It is chrom with rosewood grips and rides nicely in my pocket. It also has a manual hammer block safety which is nice to have.

I took it to the range to see how it shot. It took me about 20 rounds to get used to the massive recoil and put the rounds where I wanted them at about 10 feet. That was easy enough to get used to. What I did not get used to was the painful recoil! The tiny little .38 smarted quite a bit. The good thing is this gun is not a range gun. Only a few rounds every now and then to remember the aim is needed. I like having it if I need it in a hurry and if I have to, have the fullsize pistol in the car. Two shots of .38 special Critical Defense should give me enough time to get the big boy from the car.

The Cobra CB38 is nice to have, but sure stings the hand...lol.

I have the same with my Ruger LCR. After a few shots, it starts to hurt. I think if I ever use it, there'll be enough else going on I won't think about it.
    Knowing is half the battle.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Are you surprised? Sort of like having a firecracker go off on your hand, isn't it?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sounds like you need to look at the Sig P-238. Soft recoil, fun to shoot, and night sights too!

I have yet to find a snub .38 that I enjoy shooting. The LCR is about the most comfortable one I shot (and now the only snubby one I own).

Quote Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
    I have yet to find a snub .38 that I enjoy shooting. The LCR is about the most comfortable one I shot (and now the only snubby one I own).
    Ruger SP101 recoil isn't much more violent then a bunny fart. On the flip side it's a tad heavy...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I think it's safe to say that you won't even notice the recoil in a self-defense situation.

I say this because I have never onced felt the recoil of any of my guns when pulling the trigger while hunting - even when unloading two rolls of 6 .44 magnums at some pigs.

In a self-defense situation, the adrenaline dump would be even higher, which leads me to believe recoil would be a non-issue so long as you have the strength to manage it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Are you surprised? Sort of like having a firecracker go off on your hand, isn't it?

^^^Oh please sign me up for a double dose of this^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
    ^^My wifes Taurus 85 is no problem to shoot. Actually kinda fun^^
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

The LCR is my running gun. I figure I could've gone a little heavier. Might pick up a Kahr PM40 or something, that way I can match my EDC caliber.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Distinguished Member
    I now ibuprophen up before, during, and after range use of a kicker. I see a fine balance between some of those appealling guns to carry but you can't practice enough without killing your hand.

Another firearms dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ruger SP101 recoil isn't much more violent then a bunny fart.
    I'm still laughing over that one.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Same is true with these....it's small as they go in 380, but you don't want to enter any rapid fire competitions with it.

Yet, in a critical situation, for which it is designed for, I am sure you wont notice.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I remember well, my first time firing a derringer, Double barreled .44 MAGNUM!!!!!!!!, and that particular one used both barrels at the same time. I aimed at a tin can sitting on the ground, maybe 10 feet in front of me, angle is about 7 o clock. I stopped the gun's recoil with the hammer spur just touching my forehead. Firing it straight out, like at a person, I'd be lucky not to bury the spur in my brain. " I can see it now, Headline, Man takes out attacker but dead by recoil"
    LOL.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

I used to shoot only hot loaded .357 magnum from my 12oz S&W 340, which gave birth to her nickname 'awchie'.

When I decided to start carrying and shooting Gold Dot + P .38s, I didn't notice any pain and the palm of my hand wouldn't go numb even after 30rds!

I remember seeing ads for .30-'06 and 12 gauge derringers!
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links