IDPA shooters out there.....

This is a discussion on IDPA shooters out there..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just starting to get into IDPA shooting and was wondering what pistols people are shooting for competition. I am currently shooting a Glock ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA shooters out there.....

IDPA shooters out there.....

I am just starting to get into IDPA shooting and was wondering what pistols people are shooting for competition.

I am currently shooting a Glock 19, but wanted to see what other people are shooting. TIA.

Polk
    NRA Member
    Glock Armorer
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    Kimber TLE/RL

2. Remove Ads

When I did my first couple of matches I used my ruger p345 as it was my edc at the time. Now I use my ruger security six with .357 mag reloads in it :-D One day I'll do a match with my p95 and my xd45 as well but for right now i try to stick with whatever my edc is at the time. sadly i don't make it out to as many matches as i should

Glock pistols still have the # 1 spot on list of most used guns at IDPA matches, and the 9mm versions are the most popular. At last years national shoot I have read where S&W M&P guns are moving up in the ranks of the most used

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I mostly shoot a SIG P220 SAO in CDP; I shoot my P226/9mm in ESP and SSP, and occasionally my P239/.40S&W.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

GLOCK and S&W actually picked up a few points, owing to the rapid decline in XD use.I shoot either a G17 or a 1911A1.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

jfl
    Use what you carry.
    IDPA requires a reliable gun even if not perfectly clean, easy to draw, accurate, quick double (triple) tap, and ammo cheap enough to get lots of practice.
    This is also what I look for in my EDC.
    I have not shot IDPA matches for a while, but I was using my G-19 and my G-26.
    Just ask around IDPA folks are nice and helpful.

If you have a Glock go to a GSSF match ... humbling.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    What kind of holsters do you guys use for IDPA? My EDC style is usually IWB/tucked. I don't have to tuck though. Am I nuts for wanting to try it with my PM9? I also have a G33 that I can use. I could put my .40 or 9mm conversion barrel in there to keep costs down.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I use a 9mm Sig P226 in an OWB kydex holster. That is neither my carry gun nor my carry holster, because IDPA won't let me use my carry holsters and I already had the OWB holster for the Sig.

What I see a lot of IDPA competitors using are 1911's and Glocks.

Distinguished Member
    Our local branch has a practice and setup day, then a match a week later. You could just go to the practice day (I did this) to see what people use and talk to them.

We had a very friendly group and it was a good experience for me to learn what IDPA was about.

I shoot my carry weapon. XD40SC with the 12 round mags, not the 10. it is housed in my MTAC. it is a disadvantage for compatition but that is not why I do IDPA.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I am shooting either a Rock Island .45 ACP or a Glock 35 .40 S&W

I shot IDPA 2 years ago. At the time I shot a S&W 5904 and a cheap fobus paddle holster setup. Most at my club use kydex paddle holsters, Glocks, 1911's, and add ball S&Ws CZs 92FS.But that was back then. Your G19 will do just fine. Don't let the gamers get to you and have fun!!!

As a SO I say, "Shoot you EDC gun and equip."
    It will really help you getting familiar with your setup and you'll be able to get confident with it.
    Certified Glock Armorer

I shoot the gun I carry. unfortunately most people dont.
    3/4 of the guns at the IDPA matches I go to are full size 1911s or larger glocks in paddle holsters. Using my little 3" 1911 that I carry, I dont do as well as them, especially at the far away targets. I like IDPA and I think it is good practice and a lot of fun, but for me, unlike most people, it is training and nothing more.
    For example, once I accidently loaded up a big batch of ammo which was too light. Although my gun is very reliable, this ammo was light enough that about once a mag or so I would have a stovepipe or FTE of some kind.
    I very purposefully used this ammo at my next IDPA match. I'm sure you practice clearing a jammed gun with dummy rounds and such... have you ever done it when you are under stress? (assuming you get stressed during an IDPA match-- i make sure I am on purpose) Right in the middle of one of the stages, I had a round COMPLETELY get stuck in the chamber. I immediately whipped out my knife and pried it out (there was no way i was just gonna pull it out, it was STUCK) and kept on shooting. I highly recommend people to throw a dummy round or two in when you are shooting IDPA.
    anyways... that was way off track sorry.
    my answer is simply- the gun you carry. if you carry a full size 1911 (which many do), then great, carry that, but if you carry a little kel tech in smartcarry most days, that should be what you shoot IDPA with, or its kinda defeating the purpose of the sport.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i consider idpa practice more than training as i am not able to rerun the same scenarios over and over again to perfect the techniques required to run them cleanly and without error...if nothing else it has helped me sort out my weak points and given me something to work toward...ive learned a lot from the better shooters also...it gives you a chance to think your way through things and devise plans...

i run what i carry...g19...have used a blade tech owb on a paddle at 3:00 and both blade tech and don hume iwb at 4:00 as i would carry...if youre gonna use it to improve your real world chances you should use real world equipment...

if you want to really compete you can think about some of the fancy equipment some guys use...if you want to improve your skills for real world then think that way and it will work for you...

its a great way to add a little stress and urgency to your shooting and se how you fare...

enjoy it...it is fun and the comeraderie is great....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links