Grips for a S&W Model 10-5

This is a discussion on Grips for a S&W Model 10-5 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I trully hope I have selected the correct forum for this topic...it is a question about a defensive handgun so here's hoping. I just recently ...

Thread: Grips for a S&W Model 10-5

I trully hope I have selected the correct forum for this topic...it is a question about a defensive handgun so here's hoping.

I just recently re-acquired an S&W model 10-5 snubby that I bought from an army buddy when I was a kid (the 70s) and subsequently sold to my dad. Long story short it is now back in my hands where it will stay until I am too old to lift it and I pass it along. It stll has the original walnut grips and I am planning to put on some pachmyer or equivalent rubber grips and would like any input you all may want to provide for what models/makes might meet my specs which are:

1. My hands are not real large but I also want to have them fit my wife's hands too.
    2. It is a k frame which is not too small but it does fit in my side pocket as is so I do not want to increase the size too much which might make it less concealable.

let me know make and model if you have suggestions. Thank you all.
    Fuzzy

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, He'll just kill you."
    "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy."
    "When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Laser Sight For Smith & Wesson J-Frame LG-105 Defender Series | Crimson Trace Laser Grips

I would put a pair of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on them.. You usually can find them cheaper at local gun shows or dealers than purchasing them from right online.

If your not into lasers or have a doubt about them. Watch the reasons for lasers on the Crimson Trace web site. As for your wife, it would help her protect herself that much more easily, as women tent to through the shooting fundamentals out the door in high stress situations. (not say your wife has no shooting experience. but even with training they say your only half as good as you are at the range.) I like the advantage to favor me.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

My wife (small hands) and I (medium hands) love pachmyer grippers on all of our k-frames. I much prefer the looks of wood grips, but nothing provides the performance of the grippers.

Make sure you save the original grips.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    I know this is not something you were considering in your original post, but have you considered one of these (Tyler T-Grip)?:

Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc

...and +1 on saving the original grips, whatever you decide!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Hogue Bantam Grips for K frame

The smallest rubber grips for a S&W K frame snubby I have found are the Hogue Bantam Grips. These are a fairly hard rubber that do not grab at clothing, and use an internal plastic clamp to attach to the gun's frame, eliminating the usual bolt. They allow a three finger grip on the front, but are cut short like boot grips on the back of the frame. The cost is minimal, $15 or less.

Here are mine on a K frame model 66 snubby:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Pogo's suggestion of the Hogue Bantam grips is great and the photo provides a good illustration.

The fact that they don't grab clothing would be important to me the smaller size is good.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I know this is not something you were considering in your original post, but have you considered one of these (Tyler T-Grip)?:

Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc

...and +1 on saving the original grips, whatever you decide!
    I agree that consideration should be given the Tyler T-Grip. It is a marked improvement over standard grips and is less bulky than most rubber grips. I've been trying out a T-Grip on my favorite Smith & Wesson Model 10 for over a year and am sold on it.

I also tried one on a Smith & Wesson Model 642 and it has become a permanent addition. Both my wife and I love the enhanced control that the T-Grip offers on both of these revolvers. It even mitigates felt recoil with +P loads in the Model 642 because of the better control.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

BTW Pogo, the M66 is perhaps my favorite wheelgun of all time!!! I love that rig too and I will check out those grips...thanks.
    Fuzzy

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, He'll just kill you."
    "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy."
    "When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."

Sponsored Links