Taurus 1911,whats your experience with these?

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911,whats your experience with these? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I checked one of these out today and really thought it was nice for its price point. It was their stainless steel model with the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911,whats your experience with these?

I checked one of these out today and really thought it was nice for its price point. It was their stainless steel model with the light rail it was new and $570 OTD,I'm strongly considering it but would like info from those who own one. whats been your experience with this 1911? And are these guns frames and slides forged? Thanks for any help on this guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have no experience whatsoever with that model, but I do know this: if it has problems and has to go back to Taurus, you're looking at about a 2-3 month turnaround.

I know because I just bought a TCP that had a broken trigger mechanism right out of the box.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    I have a Taurus 1911 that shoots just fine, but as SpringerXD said customer service leaves much to be desired. The ambi-saftey came apart on mine, sent it back to Taurus and it was 2 months before I got it back.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It's not forged and the small parts can be questionable. If you're handy with a 1911, you could just replace anything that breaks yourself or have a smith fit any part you want. Personally they're a bit too hit or miss for me.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I'm only aware of issues with the beaver tail falling off. You can get a Springfield 1911 for that much.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

I've had my PT1911 for about a year and a half. I've fired about 1000-1200 rounds through it, no problems.

I took it to a 4 day handgun course at Front Sight. I cleaned it before I went, but I didn't clean it during the course. I wanted to see how far it would go before it malfunctioned. But, no malfunctions

It's not pretty, I don't like the big letters on the slide, but it works good. The mags aren't that great, I replaced mine with Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat.

Another thing, if it does have a problem, you can upgrade it yourself with the myriads of 1911 parts that are available.

The only bad thing I've heard about them, is that the ambidextrous safety can break easily. Mine seems to be fine, and it's another easily fixed item; sans Taurus CS.

I've got the railed version. I wouldn't get it again, it's too hard to find holsters for it. I'll try to explain the problem in text:

I had a custom holster made for my 1911AR. The dust cover between the rail and the front of the trigger guard, is very narrow. The problem is that when the holster is molded to the gun, the rail has to travel in and out of the narrow part, before it finally lands in it's molded space. In order for the holster to work properly, the holster needs to have the entire dust cover area, the same width as the rail.

After over a year of use, plastic bags, about 350 or so presentations, it's still very difficult to present out of that holster.

So, I wouldn't get the rail, again. Unless you know that you're going to use your rail. I got the rail, just in case I might want to use it.

And as always, YMMV
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    You get what you pay for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have no personal experience with this gun except handling a few in gun shops around here. I actually really like them, especially for the price. Everything seems really tight and i like the way the safety engages/disengages, the trigger pull, and the grip safety all seem and feel really nice too. Most of the reviews i've read have been positive

Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP Semi-Automatic Pistol
    Taurus 1911 Review
    Taurus PT 1911

To answer your question about the forged stuff, this is taken from Taurus' website:
    ".... Starting with our own hammer-forged -not cast - ordnance grade steel frames, slides and barrels, we machine each and every part to tolerance levels that surpass even today's industry standards. Our skilled pistol smiths hand-fit and tune each gun with the 19 standard features seen below, using quality parts that are built 100% in our state-of-the-art factory. Then they mark the slide, barrel and frame with matching serial numbers. Available in the powerful .45 ACP, this aggressive, rock-solid firearm is ready to go right out of the box..."

Compared side by side in the gun shops with the same priced springfields with their awful sites and weird feeling (to me) safety's and hard triggers, I think the Taurus is a steal.

I have talked to probably 4 different people working in 3 different local gunshops around here and they've all had positive things to say about the gun. One said they're quality for this gun is much better than the rest of Taurus' line or guns. He also said he'd believed that the initial problems with the ambi safeties coming loose has been resolved by Taurus.

The stainless without the rail will probably be my next purchase.

Since I have not shot this gun (although I have done lots of research on it) I cannot say with 100% surety how good or bad it is, but my research and personal handling of the gun lead me to believe it wouldn't be a poor choice.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Exactly, and this is a lesson that I've learned several times, failed to properly internalize, and had to go back and learn again. Not only with guns but with other things, as well. But rest assured that Taurus will never be my teacher again.

If this 1911 is only $570.00 out the door, then it's probably below $500.00 sticker if you consider taxes and the $10.00 instant background check. The only company I've heard of that comes even close to this price with decent quality is Rock Island Armory.

OP, I would personally walk away from this deal for three reasons:

1. It's a Taurus. I might get flamed for saying this and maybe I'm a bit biased by my recent (current) experience, but Taurus customer "service" is by far among the worst in the industry. The word is getting out and it's NOT good. You might get lucky and get a rare gem like some do, but the odds seem to get a little worse every day.

2. There are better guns that can be had for not much more money in the used market. You could add a couple hundred and pick up a used Colt or Springfield in really good condition.

3. The resale on a Taurus isn't going to touch that of a Colt, Springfield, Kimber, or a few other brands out there.

Not trying to influence you, but I just don't want you sitting there with the 1911 out of your hands someday for 2-3 months while Taurus fixes it, assuming that it even comes back right.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    owned one for a while and put several thousand rounds through it without a hiccup...it has as many cast parts as the big boys and holds up very well...i know a guy who competes in idpa with one and is chased by guys with much more expensive guns...they are a great shooter and hold up very well...without that tricky break in period that the more exclusive ones claim is necessary to run right...

taurus customer service is hit or miss...ive heard good experiences and bad but have owned 2 of their guns without an opportunity to find out...because the guns were good from the go...

for some reason guys seem to think a 1911 has to cost $1000 and be loaded with big name features to be worth anything..and when they have to return their guns for feed problems or the like its just "part of the break in"...

ive heard a lot of good things about the taurus and rock island 1911s and they are the least expensive youll find on the block...you might want to look into the 1911 owner forums and read what they have to say...it may be very enlightening from guys who actually own them as opposed to loathing something theyve never wrapped a hand around much less actually fired....

I have a PT1911 in my carry rotation. Shoots like a dream! I have been fortunate and have not had any of the issues some others have reported. I have approx 2000 rounds through it. I trust it.
    As for Taurus' customer service, I have no personal experience with them, but from what I have been reading on the Taurus forum, CS is getting better. Rumor has it, there has been a bit of a shake up at CS.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I have a couple buddies that have them, and they are both flawless. I've shot one of them, and at 7yds, everything is in the same hole! It is a really great shooter! Plus, with the Taurus, you don't have to worry about having a 'smith work it over right out of the box so it will feed HP and SWC. The Taurus is a new generation design to where reliable feeding of HP and SWC was done from the factory. Most other mfg's will have to be worked over some to get them to reliably feed HP and SWC rounds.

There are only 2 downsides to the Taurus 1911 that I can think of. CS and resale. If you have a BUG, or this is a range gun, and don't mind the 2 month wait, then go for it! For a 5", I think I'll pick one up in the future myself. Good luck!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    They are a pretty nice piece! but I have to agree with there customer service being dirt poor. long waits!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i have been hearing more and more good stories about the customer service there including 2 people who returned guns expecting long wait times and had them back within a 1-2 week period with shipping...so hopefully there is a turnaround there...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd say usually, yes, but I have a friend who has the $600 Springfield, and another with the Para GI Expert stainless (at about $100 more) and they've been great guns. I'd much rather have one of those than the Taurus...someday!
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links