Talk me out of a Sig P238... Into a Guardian?

This is a discussion on Talk me out of a Sig P238... Into a Guardian? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I fell in love with the one I held at a show a couple months ago and it is by far the best-fitting .380 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Sig P238... Into a Guardian?

Well, I fell in love with the one I held at a show a couple months ago and it is by far the best-fitting .380 I've held (LCP, P3AT, MDE were okay, but the Sig just felt much better) I also held a Kahr PM9 that I liked, but they're a little out of my price range.

I've read some bad press about the Sig, but similar stuff about the others I mentioned as well. I would really prefer a metal frame if possible, which leaves me with the Sig, MDE or NAA Guardian if I want to stick with .380 and under $500. The NAA is all stainless which brings it in at a few ounces heavier than the Sig. but I understand the frame and slide are manufactured by Kahr and that, I like.

I know these guns are small and considered pocket guns, but quite frankly I am a bit small myself.. I am 5'7, 130lbs and I plan to carry IWB but because of my small frame pretty much need it to be a pocket gun in order to actually be concealed.

I was sort of ignorant to the NAA until recently.. Sounds like a nice piece.

So, bottom line - small, reliable, metal frame, .380 or 9mm, $500-ish. Go!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I think SIG had some early problems with the 238, but I believe that is all behind them at this point. You might want to check over on SIGForum.com.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I went through a similar dilemma over the last week or so. You probably saw a couple of my threads.

I held a Guardian at the gun show (it seemed to be the only one in the entire place) and was fairly impressed. The construction seemed top notch. I've also checked out the P238. It's impressive as well, plus it has a certain "cuteness" appeal, being a small 1911. Awww.... I like them both.

One thing that surprised me was that the Guardian isn't recommended for +p usage, being all metal. I don't know about the P238. Like most people say, the Guardian really does seem a bit weighty. The vendor let me try it in a pocket and it was indeed a bit of a brick. But overall, It's a really nice little gun.

But.... and I don't mean to get off topic here, after sleeping on things from the day before, I came to realize that I just cannot resolve myself to carrying a .380. Please, no caliber wars, folks. I'm talking strictly about ME. Even before I fired that Taurus TCP and found problems, I had misgivings about buying it. I *almost* bought an LCP Saturday. Same deal - misgivings, so I backed out.

So I wound up with a Kahr PM9. No misgivings, no regrets. Yes, it's a hundred or so more than the Guardian or the P238, but it seems to have a very flawless reputation. A 9mm gun rated for +p was easier for a ".45 guy" like me to swallow, as opposed to a .380.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I think SIG had some early problems with the 238, but I believe that is all behind them at this point. You might want to check over on SIGForum.com.
    Not so! Mine has a pro date 05/12/10 It's been a jam-o-matic since day one. Research will show that there are now 4? different mag designs, and I'm far from the only person to have extraction problems.
    My new $500 Sig went back to Sig yesterday. I never even got to carry it If you like the P238, best to wait another year and see if they fix it. I hoping that they will actually fix it, but at this point I wish I had not bought it.

Talking

Have you considered my favorite .380? It's my Walther PPK/S with Crimson Trace laser sights. IMO any .380 handgun requires laser assistance.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I went through a similar dilemma over the last week or so. You probably saw a couple of my threads.

I held a Guardian at the gun show (it seemed to be the only one in the entire place) and was fairly impressed. The construction seemed top notch. I've also checked out the P238. It's impressive as well, plus it has a certain "cuteness" appeal, being a small 1911. Awww.... I like them both.

One thing that surprised me was that the Guardian isn't recommended for +p usage, being all metal. I don't know about the P238. Like most people say, the Guardian really does seem a bit weighty. The vendor let me try it in a pocket and it was indeed a bit of a brick. But overall, It's a really nice little gun.

But.... and I don't mean to get off topic here, after sleeping on things from the day before, I came to realize that I just cannot resolve myself to carrying a .380. Please, no caliber wars, folks. I'm talking strictly about ME. Even before I fired that Taurus TCP and found problems, I had misgivings about buying it. I *almost* bought an LCP Saturday. Same deal - misgivings, so I backed out.

So I wound up with a Kahr PM9. No misgivings, no regrets. Yes, it's a hundred or so more than the Guardian or the P238, but it seems to have a very flawless reputation. A 9mm gun rated for +p was easier for a ".45 guy" like me to swallow, as opposed to a .380.
    Yessir I have read your threads as well. :) I see you went with the PM9. Good choice for sure, no question there. I am also considering the MK9 (I want a metal frame), which on-point has for $633. Looks like P238 (non HD) is selling for around $450 on gunbroker. I was reading over on SIGforum about the P238 and aside from a few seemingly isolated issues and the slide issue on the HD models, they're free from any major issues. I think the Sig is rated for the +P .380 loads, which makes me feel better about the round.

The NAA seems like a very nice piece as well but I think if I'm going to carry .380 it better be +P. So, it really comes down to the Kahr MK9 and the Sig P238. Again, not to start a caliber war but as I've thought to myself and also read many times, 'if I empty my .380 into a bad guy and he's still coming at me, I've got much bigger problems'. My main priorities are reliability and concealability. Thing is, the MK9 and the P238 are similar in size! I was really trying to stay under $500 though.

Thanks for your insight! It's going to be a tough call for me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas solo View Post
    Not so! Mine has a pro date 05/12/10 It's been a jam-o-matic since day one. Research will show that there are now 4? different mag designs, and I'm far from the only person to have extraction problems.
    My new $500 Sig went back to Sig yesterday. I never even got to carry it If you like the P238, best to wait another year and see if they fix it. I hoping that they will actually fix it, but at this point I wish I had not bought it.
    You were the person that PM'd me about your P238, yes? I'm trying really hard to not like it but reading all of these mixed reviews is frustrating. Part of me wants to just get one and hope for the best... The other part of me just wants to spend the extra $180ish on the Kahr MK9 and be done with it. However, that $630 price tag is for the non-night sights version.. With night sights is $710 and WAY out of my range. :(

Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    Have you considered my favorite .380? It's my Walther PPK/S with Crimson Trace laser sights. IMO any .380 handgun requires laser assistance.
    I have considered the Walther as well and there's something about them I just don't care for. I'm seeing them on GB starting at $550 as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I can't in good conscious do that. IMO the Sig is a superior pistol and after the range trip I had today with mine. I would not be doing you any favors if I did talk you out of it.

IMO opinion, it's a awesome little Colt Mustang remake and it's a pleasure to operate. Good luck with you decision, what ever route you decide to take.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

i love mine

great little gun .works every time. not 1 jam of any kind .
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by steyrsdad View Post
    I'm jealous.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebr4d View Post
    It's going to be a tough call for me.
    Yep. It was for me, too. So many nice guns, so little time.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by steyrsdad View Post
    Which one do you have? Manufactured date?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I can't in good conscious do that. IMO the Sig is a superior pistol and after the range trip I had today with mine. I would not be doing you any favors if I did talk you out of it.

IMO opinion, it's a awesome little Colt Mustang remake and it's a pleasure to operate. Good luck with you decision, what ever route you decide to take.

GBK
    Glad to hear more positive notes on the Sig. Does anyone know if it is officially rated for +P?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by littlebr4d View Post
    Glad to hear more positive notes on the Sig. Does anyone know if it is officially rated for +P?
    FWIW, This guy at Glocktalk said he contacted Sig and was told yes. Here's a link to the post. I'm planning to use the BB rounds and the Hornady Critical defense for mine. Can I use +P ammo in my sig P238? - Glock Talk

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I bought my 238 last august after the "Rosewood" edition came out. Never been back, never failed to fire. I even tried to trick it by topping off the magazine after chambering a cartridge. Nope, just shot. I used PMC Bronze FMJ at the range.
    Not only has mine been reliable, it is a soft recoiling gun, and the slide is easy to rack. It's actually fun to shoot, unlike the LCP and other smaller mouse guns. Slide locks back on the last round too. Mine has night sights also, so what's not to like. Maybe I got a good one, but I suspect problems are repeated on the forums and successes are not.
    I bought two extra magazines from Top Gun Supply, and they are identical to the stock. The rounded follower, not the ski slope.
    Right now it's my favorite although I crave a Seecamp someday, but never a NAA Guardian which is a heavy copy of the Seecamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links