Am I crazy? Traded my PM9 for a P99c...

This is a discussion on Am I crazy? Traded my PM9 for a P99c... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, here's some background. I've had a Kahr PM9 for a few years. I picked it up right after I got rid of my Kel-tec ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy? Traded my PM9 for a P99c...

Ok, here's some background.

I've had a Kahr PM9 for a few years. I picked it up right after I got rid of my Kel-tec P3AT because of the expense & availability of .380 ammo. Now it was a well used PM9 when I got it (holster wear, scratches, marks where the previous owner tried to move the sights, worn out recoil spring, worn plastic mag catch), but it was a good price for the size/caliber and I was willing to put some effort into making it reliable. After a new metal mag catch and recoil spring it was up and running and I never had any other reliability issues with it. The only lingering thing was this was a thrice used gun (it had the "U" stamp on the frame) and a subcompact with at least 6000+ rounds through it that I knew of (could easily be 10k+) so after a couple years of carry I started to wonder how much life she still had in her before something major needed fixing or replaced. It was well out of warranty and I'd heard that Kahr's CS isn't so friendly with out of warranty repairs without me shelling out some $$$.

I'd originally got the PM9 as my pocket gun, but I started to pocket a snub because of the simple no worry aspect of revolvers especially after breaking down the PM9 shows a ton of lint build up inside. So on the trading block it went. I came back with a Walther P99c in great shape.

I came across a Walther P99c AS in .40 s&w that's both larger in size & caliber, but has the best trigger of both worlds (DA/SA when you want it or long first SA with short SA follow ups). I don't see much talk on here about the P99 series since they aren't big sellers, but I kind of like that uniqueness. It's very similar in size & weight to a Glock 27, but IMO a much more comfortable grip and the before mentioned sweet trigger.

Here are pics of it. The slide & controls have been duracoated OD green & the barrel black.

I really dig the look.

It looks to be in great shape and doesn't look to have been shot all that much. I'm new to .40s&w which has a bit more snap than 9mm, but I'll get used to it. I was impressed by it's accuracy. Here's the first mag full at 7 yards.

Things tightened up from there as I got more familiar with the trigger, though I must admit I would flinch every now and then.

Now I need to figure out how I want to carry it. I've pocket carried it a bit (I've got big pockets) using a generic holster to cover the trigger and while it works I think I'll be wearing it IWB.

So am I crazy?
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

you did a good trade you have a better round and you got a nice accurate gun , and you making nice grouping with it . congrats in your new EDC

good job buddy!
    you got a better gun!

VIP Member

pocket carry P99 .40

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    Now I need to figure out how I want to carry it. I've pocket carried it a bit (I've got big pockets) using a generic holster to cover the trigger and while it works I think I'll be wearing it IWB.
    So am I crazy?
    No.

I have the S&W version of the same model. I pocket carry it (sometimes) in a "modified" el-cheapo Uncle Mike's #1 IWB with the belt clip removed; it works.

I could use slightly bigger pockets, but it works nonetheless.

IWB just doesn't work for me, and it is too hot here for anything that requires a cover garment besides a long T-shirt. So pocket it is of necessity.

If you like it, why would you be crazy. I have heard good things about the walther.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    you did a good trade you have a better round and you got a nice accurate gun , and you making nice grouping with it . congrats in your new EDC
    Thanks, I was surprised with how easy it was to shoot accurately right off the bat even with the more powerful round.

One other thing I have to mention about the Walther is how easy it is to disassemble & reassemble. Since it has a decocker there's no pulling the trigger and there's no small part (slide stop pin) to drop into never neverland. I've handled a friend's M&P and I can't imagine it really being a much better design than this so I don't know why S&W didn't do a better job with marketing their version. I will say that I think M&P's are very handsome and they feel great in the hand, it's just messing with taking a tool out to flip a lever in order to field strip isn't nearly as elegant.

Nice new piece of heat :-)

Your not crazy.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Administrator
    Its not a trade I would have made, but I don't think it was a terrible deal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto, I know your love of the PM9 so I'm not surprised by your reaction.

I would not of made the trade.But thats only because I don't like the 40 S&W round.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its not a trade I would have made, but I don't think it was a terrible deal.
    Agree! However I would prefer my PM45 to either one.

Who cares what we think, as long as you are satisfied, that is all that matters. Looks like you definately shoot that thing well
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Yup! Totally wacko. It'll take a few weeks to discover it but then the heartache begins and you'll start listening to Patsy Cline and have trouble sleeping. Sigh... heartache is such a *****! (female dog with pups)

VIP Member
    All that matters is if you think it was a good deal!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The big drawback of the Walther P99 was the S&W99. Somehow S&W did a poor job on quality control and all the problems with the S&W99 were linked to the Walther. I had a S&W99 and the trigger broke twice in less than a year.

On the pro side the Walther was made better and the grip was one of the most comfortable I have ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links