Picked up a Taurus 709 slim

This is a discussion on Picked up a Taurus 709 slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a "used" 709 slim 9mm last week. The thing was so new, the previous owner didnt even clean out the factory packing grease. Oh ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Taurus 709 slim

Bought a "used" 709 slim 9mm last week. The thing was so new, the previous owner didnt even clean out the factory packing grease. Oh well, $315 OTD, and I'm gonna clean it today, and hope to take it out and test it tomorrow. We'll see. Hope I dont have to get aquainted with their lifetime warranty. I'll report back tomorrow, wish me luck.

Good luck to ya! Put it through it's paces.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

One of my favorite guns because of its style/shape/size . I hope you got a good one...They seem to be a bit hit and miss..you get a good one or a problem one it seems(quality control issues???) ive not seen a lot break that are not bad from the get go is I guess what im trying to say so you should know early off...IF I can find one for the right price someday im gonna pick one up. Id much rahter have one of the "good" 709 Slim9mm than a .380 ...

Administrator
    Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I've got one that has not given me a bit of trouble. Wish you the best.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I sold mine after 2 trips back to taurus but I rally do hope yours works out for you. It's a very slick carry package.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

good luck they are hit and miss.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Good luck, I hope you got a good one. My 709 taught me what a disaster Taurus customer service is .

GM
    Good luck; I hope you enjoy it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

i love my pt709 but try and atleast run 200-300rds through it when u goto the range for a good breakin!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

I've had mine for about a year. 1050 flawless and accurate rounds. Clean it every 200 rounds and don't manually load a round directly in the chamber or the extractor will break. It is a fixed extractor not spring loaded. Lock the slide back and insert loaded mag and release to load the chamber. I also do not shoot +P out of mine either. I've never had any issues at all. Due to the weight and size, they do have considerable recoil, so they are sensitive to limp-wristing and can be sensitive to some ammo. The threads I've read it is not uncommon for them not to like WWB. Mine has eaten everything I've put through it (brands and types) with no problem. Hornady Critical Defense is my SD ammo because the shape feeds reliably and the lip on the casing ensures that the loaded chamber indicator will act as an extractor even if the fixed extractor were to fail (I removed my extractor and shot a mag of CD and it extracted and ejected flawlessly). I fire mostly Federal or American Eagle FMJ. The first 200 round break-in should be a quality FMJ.

I hope all goes well. My expectations have been far exceeded. Let us know how it goes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Well, I guess I got a lemon. Oh well, lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty right?
    First mag of Magtech FMJ fall to extract on shell 6, locked slide back, shook spent case free, locked and shot #7 ok. second mag.. locked open after #6, locked back closed and fired #7. Rinse repeat, rinse repeat, over and over. I think 2 out of about 15 or so mags fired fine, the rest had at least one fail to extract spent shell from chamber. after a while of this, one shell actually got STUCK in the chamber. (Sellier and Bellot brand FMJ) and I could not pull the slide back to eject it, field striped and could not take the barrel out, because the ejector was still holding onto the spent case. GRRRRRR... about 30 minutes later and some help from friendlys at the range... finally got the shell out, put back together, and fired off two more mags, same issue, fail to extract or fail to eject. All in all, I tried about 6 different types of ammo. Magtech, remington, wwb, sellier and bellot and two others I forget.

OOOONNNN the bright side... I found Customer service NOTHING but pleasant to deal with, *(up to this point) and they are gonna priority overnight the gun back to factory and deal with it. (I hope) The gentleman I spoke to said they had a batch of 709's go out with a bad extractor, and they'll replace it and that will be that. (crossing my fingers) I'll try to keep up to date on the progress!

Sorry you had an issue:

My PT709 performed perfectly, straight from the box, no cleaning, just to the range and fired off 200+ straight with no issues.

Using FMJ, as well as assorted Self-defense loads and semiwadcutters, it fired and cycled like a well-oiled machine.

I'm sure the previous owner had the same issue, which is why you to a price break!

However, I can assure you these pistols are a joy to shoot, conceal better than most .380's, and once you get it back you will have a primo CCW that you will be proud to own.

It is a shame that some many got released with the ejector problem, but on the flip-side, that one small error is allowing many of us to grab up a great weapon that will perform to the highest of standards... maybe making it the sleeper hit of CCW guns! Hang in there: the wait will be worth it!

It sounds like the chamber needs to be polished as well. Perhaps Taurus will polish the feed ramp and chamber while they have it if you explain the casing getting hung up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    It stinks that your pistol gave you problems, at least customer service was good to deal with.

I've got a 709 and it's been flawless for the first approximate 175 rounds. I've mostly shot +P and +P+ (heard +P+ loads were a no-no after the fact, they worked fine) loads. I don't think recoil is bad at all. I've settled on the Winchester Ranger T +P as my carry load.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links