CW45 help

This is a discussion on CW45 help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bough a CW45 new yesterday and if you manualy cycle rounds through the slide won't go all the way forward and then when ...

Thread: CW45 help

CW45 help

I just bough a CW45 new yesterday and if you manualy cycle rounds through the slide won't go all the way forward and then when you bump the slide forward the round will get stuck in the chamber and is the slide won't move more the than 3/8 inch unless you keep on jerking it to get it out. when firing the gun after it cycles you have to bump the slide forward 90% of the time out of the 25 rounds I fired before I gave up. I did use moly paste on the slide rails which didn't help. the gun only came with mag and I used RAM 230gr FMJ and can try again with different ammo and mag when i get a chance. Also after only 25rds the part of the frame closest to the barrel melted a little bit which is also cause for concern.
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

If it is like my CW40 you have to use the slide release. Lock slide open. Insert magazine. Hit slide release. It should slam shut feeding a round in to the chamber. Khar recommends a 300 round break in.
    Hope that helps.
    Semper Fi

I have other Kahrs and it will do it sometimes with the slide stop and especialy while the gun is cycling with that ammo. I looked at the ammo and it says remanufactured and is a mix of federal and win cases so i bought some remington umc metal case and its not getting stuck manulay cycling it ill try live fire tommorow so my main concern is the frame going to keep on melting
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Friend of mine had exactly the same problem with his CW45 and found the over all length of the ammo was the primary problem. Sounds like you just got some bad ammo. If they are reloads or re mfg. ammo, the sizing die was bad and the OAL is too long to let the ammo seat properly in the chamber. The .45 head spaces on the case rim and if the bullet is hitting the rifling before the slide closes all the way, that is probably your problem. Get some factory ammo and see if it is better. Check the ammo you have and see what the OAL is. I measured some Winchester WB ball ammo and it runs about 1.264 to 1.268 in. If it is more than that, it won't work, but you already know that. I load a Berry's flat point bullet in my personal ammo and the OAL for that one is 1.200. Any more and it won't work either. There are also some very slight differences in case length with certain brands of ammo. Also check to see that you don't have any high primers either. That can also cause chamber problems and misfires.

You're not the first one to experience this problem. Just get some factory ammo for at least the first 200 rounds breakin. Kahr would possibly void your warrenty if they find out you are using anything other than factory ammo.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    Friend of mine had exactly the same problem with his CW45 and found the over all length of the ammo was the primary problem. Sounds like you just got some bad ammo. If they are reloads or re mfg. ammo, the sizing die was bad and the OAL is too long to let the ammo seat properly in the chamber. The .45 head spaces on the case rim and if the bullet is hitting the rifling before the slide closes all the way, that is probably your problem. Get some factory ammo and see if it is better. Check the ammo you have and see what the OAL is. I measured some Winchester WB ball ammo and it runs about 1.264 to 1.268 in. If it is more than that, it won't work, but you already know that. I load a Berry's flat point bullet in my personal ammo and the OAL for that one is 1.200. Any more and it won't work either. There are also some very slight differences in case length with certain brands of ammo. Also check to see that you don't have any high primers either. That can also cause chamber problems and misfires.

You're not the first one to experience this problem. Just get some factory ammo for at least the first 200 rounds breakin. Kahr would possibly void your warrenty if they find out you are using anything other than factory ammo.
    Exactly the answer I would have given. I've experienced the same problem and a change of ammo is the cure.

Try using the slide release, then slingshot only after the gun is reliable and working well.

Good luck.

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Try using the slide release, then slingshot only after the gun is reliable and working well.
    Manual states using the slide release.
    I was having FTF problems when I would "slingshot" the slide with my CW40.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

its the ammo i didnt think the lgs would sell reman unless u asked for it iwouldnt of bought that ammo if i would known ill try the umc later i have faith in it since it worked manualy cycling it

I'm betting it's the questionable reloaded ammo.

It is i didnt know when i bought it and yes a know how to load a kahr

Links