Anyone carry a full sized 1911?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a full sized 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to but to be honest I would not anymore..the biggest id carry now is the 4" model...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a full sized 1911?

I used to but to be honest I would not anymore..the biggest id carry now is the 4" model

2. Remove Ads

On the rare occasion that I carry a 1911 I use a T&T Gunleather IWB that is very comfortable for either the 4" or 5" Kimber.

5" Kimber in a PK Black Ops Pro. 1.5" 5 switch Wilderness instructor belt.
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

One of my CCW rotation is a stainless Colt 1991 fullsize in a Brommeland holster. Had the same holster for about 18 years or so, still fine. The gun is pretty customized, should be done working on that anytime now...
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Yeah, but it's especially important when your gun's empty weight is 38-42oz for a steel frame and slide! Plus another ten or eleven ounces with an eight round mag. and ANOTHER 10 or 11oz with an extra mag!

Just my $.02.
    A loaded mag is 8.5 oz. Each round is roughly .75, equaling 6 ounces plus 2.5 ounces for the magazine itself.

Just weighed out the other day comparing my lightweight Talon II to a CQB. The difference between mine and the steel framed Talon II bobtail was 9.2 ounces or you could say my fully loaded lightweight is equal to a bobtailed Talon II with no loaded mag in place. My CQB was almost 14 ounces heavier. I have no issues carrying any of them, but since the lightweight Talon II shoots nearly soft as my CQB and more accurately for me, it's a no-brainer.

Just figured I'd mention the exact weight since I just weighed everything.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I carry a fullsize Kimber w/ magwell. I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck and a belt from The Beltman. I also had the velcro stitched in my belt as it was made and I use the velcro clips. I am approx 6'2" and weigh around 190.

I can conceal it in shorts and a t shirt.

My PT1911 rides in an IWB from Little Bear Holsters
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Used to until I switched to a .357 SIG.
    Both are full size.
    Cross Breed IWB has long been my very good friend!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    From 1984 to 1997, I occasionally carried full-sized 1911s. From 1997 to 2002, I used full-sized 1911s as my daily concealed carry pistols, as this was the time I carried them as police duty pistols, and decided to go virtually 24/7/365 with the 1911, as part of the philosophy of normally toting on my own time the same thing I use at work.

During 1997-2002, I normally used a Galco Avenger for OWB, and a G. Wm. Davis Security for IWB.

Now that I must tote a double-stack DA .40 at work, I do the same on my own time. (P229) I do anticipate carrying a 1911 again, sooner or later, and recently acquired a Bulman FDS for the purpose.

cmb
    yep almost every day, I agree with the good belt comments but you don't have to pay a fortune, I have spent under 11$ at WW and burlington coat factory and have found good belts. the latest i found was a dickies at WW for 10.50$ it is 1.25 wide and 5/16 thick and does quite well, I like 1.5 wide to but they do not fit all my pants. my holster is a cost effect ace case tuckable from Cheaperthandirt.com, I carried it a while, found the cant and pistol depth/height above my belt I liked and put a few stitches in it so it fits me. 10$ for that too, plus shipping. (I have a couple of those holsters for my othe guns too!)

Well, that me, some will disagree and say you can't go that inexpensive but different things work for different people... hope you find something which works for you!

I carry a commander which is only 3/4" shorter on the barrel which hides IWB anyway. The grip is the same length as a 5" and I conceal it easily with shorts and a t-shirt here in South FL. I use a Shark belt from The belt Man which comes with the internal stiffener and my holster is a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I carry IWB, but have gone OWB with this same holster using a button down shirt untucked.

Both my belt and holster are a bit more expensive than other options but I like the stiffness of the Belt Man belts with the internal stiffener for extra support as well as the look and strength of the shark. The Black Ops Pro is simply an amazing piece of work for a holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I carry my Dan Wesson V-Bob, not a 5" but close enough at 4.25", in a Occidental Leather Phoenix Stronghold. One of the greatest holsters I own...
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

id like to carry my springer full size. i been thinking about a crossbreed supertuck. i have one for my xdsc what other options are there for concealed? anyone carry witha small of the back holster?

VIP Member
    I use one of three IWB holsters with my 1911's...

Milt Sparks VersaMax-II

TT Gunleather IWB

Brommeland Presentation Grade IWB

They all work equally as well as one another with only slight differences in comfort. Concealability is about the same with each and I really have no desire to try anything else for sake of more comfort etc. I do want a Pure Kustom though... just cuz!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by subcompact04 View Post
    id like to carry my springer full size. i been thinking about a crossbreed supertuck. i have one for my xdsc what other options are there for concealed? anyone carry witha small of the back holster?
    I use a Comp-Tac MTAC holster for my govt size springer. I value my spinal cord far too much to consider a SOB (small of back, shame on you for inserting less savory acronyms here, but I'd be lying if I said that acronym didn't hold true as well ) holster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links