XD45 or 145BP????

This is a discussion on XD45 or 145BP???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to decide on a compact .45acp. I like the Taurus 145, I've shot one and it slung brass allover, but it ...

Thread: XD45 or 145BP????

XD45 or 145BP????

I have been trying to decide on a compact .45acp. I like the Taurus 145, I've shot one and it slung brass allover, but it was a good shooter. Searching the web I went to Springfield's website and saw the XD45, with a 13+1 capacity, all I had to say was "sweet". I want some input on which one I should choose, I don't have, access to an XD to shoot. I'm leaning toward the XD, but that depends, on the feedback I get here. The other issue is I know what a 145 will cost me, but I can't find a price for the XD45. I'm thinking about $150 more than the 145. I'm just looking for a good concealed .45, what are the forums thoughts?
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I owned a PT140 (not the pro) and have shot the XD .40 4". Personally I found the PT uncomfortable to shoot extended periods, as well as had some issues with the gun. Also the 3" barrel made CCing more difficult due to the short barrel, heavy weight in the grip(full mag).
    While not a apples to apples comparison , I enjoyed shooting the XD, and found it to be a good shooter.
    I guess you will need to decide what you like best, or think you will like best anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    An XD-45 will run anywhere from $425 to $500, is a more dependable weapon and has a much better track record. I have had an X-40sc since when they first came out and it still runs like new with over 1500 rounds thru it.

hogwash

I have the pt145pro and it hides and rides nice. I also have the XD40SC. They both ride in the same holster. I carry either one. The XD45 is not going to be easy to hide at all. A whole lot bigger than the XD40 or the PT145 pro.

steve

Stollvar is very much correct, The XD-45 is not really a easy pistol to hide, Food for thought.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I at 5' 8" and 180 pounds find it easy to conceal my XD45T. You just have to dress for the occation. I just wear a bigger tshirt. That hides half of my little fat belly and all of my 45T.

While I haven't fired the XD-45, I do own the XD-40. It's a great gun. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you chose the XD.

You'll probably have to shop around a bit for the best price. The XDs are pretty hot right now, especially the 45. XD-45s in my area are selling between $450 and $490 depending on finish and service or tactical lengths.

O Iown the XD45 4". I haven't attempted to conceal it but I'm sure it can be done. The grip is really long so you may have to be creative.

Jason

look at the glock 36.

I second the Glock 36...I would also suggest the Warthog from Para-Ordnance or the Kimber Ultra Carry.
    I've been looking for a compact .45 and a friend let me shoot these three guns...great guns.

I'm one who is very happy with his XD45 Service. I have shot many different types of ammo from Wolf to Speer w/o issues. There is a site you should check-out, http://www.hs2000talk.com. They have a special thread for the XD45. Good luck.

I actually have both guns. I have no trouble at all concealing the 4" XD-45 in an IWB holster. I am so used to doing the same with my 4" 1911's and even used to conceal a Sig P-220ST IWB without any problems. I have carried my Taurus PT-145 in a IWB, ankle or OWB, but it is primarily my BUG (Back Up Gun) for the XD or 1911, 99% of the time. I simply slip it into an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster and slip it into my right front pocket. I have been doing that so long that the blueing is wearing off the corners of the slide.

Concealment is something that can be done by just about anyone & with just about any gun. I saw a series of pictures some years ago about an average size guy that could conceal everything from a KelTec P3AT up to a Desert Eagle with a holster system he designed himself. Not only could he conceal them all effectively he could draw them as fast as most OWB holstered guns.

I have several friends that effectively conceal daily 5" 1911's and one who is a revolver nut that conceals a 6" Smith & Wesson 629 in 44mag daily. To look at them you will never know any of them conceal.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I have been carrying the XD 9 for several years now.. My lovely little woman bought me an XD .45 acp for fathers day, and as far as the dimensions go it is almost identical to the XD9. This is the service model mind you..

I have not actually shot the XD .45 yet.. I am pretty sure this will be my new go to gun for carry.. but until I get 400 rounds through her with no problems I won't depend on it for my life..

The ammo sure is expensive!! 9mm ammo costs next to nothing comparatively!!

I think later today I am going to take her out and shoot.. maybe just a few magazines.. make some holes in some paper..

I do have pictures.. if you are interested...

Raymond

Well.. I got the chance to take the pistol out today for some shootin'!! Man!! That gun is SWEET!! At seven yards its pretty much a tack driver!!

At 10 and 15 yards my groups got a little bigger.. pretty much in the 3" range..

At 25 yards I'm all over the place.. but that is normal for me.. I think I need to visit the optometrist.. My eyes are starting to go on me.. the gun is not the problem!!

The felt recoil did not seem to me to be much different than the XD9... although I have a 22# spring and DGR in the 9mm.. so I don't know how that compares to the stock set up.

I will tell you this.. the thing is VERY noisy!! The 9mm does not have nearly the report that this .45 does!! DANG!!

This is my first .45 caliber pistol.. so maybe this is normal.. I expected it to have more kick, (which it doesn't) but I never expected it to be so loud!!

Raymond

Links