Excellent Kel-Tec PF9 Mod. Cheap, easy, improved White's Trigger Stop.

This is a discussion on Excellent Kel-Tec PF9 Mod. Cheap, easy, improved White's Trigger Stop. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My PF-9 has the following mods: Slight fluff and buff where hammer and slide meet. The slip grip Hogue Handall Jr. is kinda standard. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Excellent Kel-Tec PF9 Mod. Cheap, easy, improved White's Trigger Stop.

Excellent Kel-Tec PF9 Mod. Cheap, easy, improved White's Trigger Stop.

My PF-9 has the following mods: Slight fluff and buff where hammer and slide meet. The slip grip Hogue Handall Jr. is kinda standard. I also added my own version of White's Trigger Stop. It involves 2 rubber pads: pencil eraser sliced in 2/3 + 1/3 . Longer pad on the trigger itself, slimmer one on the frame.

This rubber-against-rubber system provides the most amazing trigger break I've ever used, and I've used many. You can perfectly stage the trigger and then a gentle but secure squeeze makes it go BANG!. Increased accuracy 100% and shooting speed as well.

Great, almost free, mod for the Kel-Tec PF-9.

IMHO is foolish not to perform this mod on an already superb pistol. Have I mentioned my PF-9 fires anything you feed it? oh yeah, it's a fierce little one...

Pics below!

thanks

Best trigger stop ever. Smooth staging and then a secure pull to break the shot!
    This is my Glock 17... there are others like it, but this one is mine. And it's mighty fine!

2. Remove Ads

I hope the erasers do not harden in cold weather, possibly stopping the trigger break..

I live in Florida. No chance that could happen here but good point linksrds. Maybe industrial rubber pads could make a better choice for colder climates.
    This is my Glock 17... there are others like it, but this one is mine. And it's mighty fine!

Ron
    What did you use to attach the eraser pads? The problem I, and many others, have with this mod is that the pad or pads keep falling off from the vibration.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    New from Wham-mo. Just saying...
    NMB likes this.

GM
    Hope you enjoy it!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    A handgun should not need erasers to function properly or smoothly. Thats why Kel Tec's sell at the price point they do. Maybe KT should spend a little more time finishing the internals inhouse and save their customers the trouble......but again that's why they are inexpensive and somewhat cheap guns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

They are cheaper guns, but not "cheap" if you know what I mean. The DAO trigger has slight over travel. This mod is an excellent and inexpensive fix. The gun's size makes it snappy, making trigger control a top priority. This mod helps with that.

IMHO Kel-Tec has an awesone CS reputation and their products hold up the test of time with proper care.

Don't be hating on Kel-tec... Many of us here love em. I trust my PF-9 to the point to be my CCW of choice.

And for the price.... Nuff said

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    A handgun should not need erasers to function properly or smoothly. Thats why Kel Tec's sell at the price point they do. Maybe KT should spend a little more time finishing the internals inhouse and save their customers the trouble......but again that's why they are inexpensive and somewhat cheap guns.
    The erasers do nothing for the function of the pistol. Essentially what he is doing is making a stage for a single action style trigger. A long trigger pull could affect your shot but practice will help greatly reduce the effects.

The mod seems sound. For the improving accuracy it seems to serve the purpose. The function of the pistol is important though IMO in a defensive situation iif there is a chance the mod could hinder my trigger pull I wouldn't take the chance.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    The function of the pistol is important though IMO in a defensive situation if there is a chance the mod could hinder my trigger pull I wouldn't take the chance.
    Thats the whole point....I am not placing foreign matter in my handgun, it will cause the gun to malfunction at some point without question and likely when you need the handgun to function most. And placing an eraser in the gun to alter the trigger is a functioning issue anyway you look at it. It affects the function of the trigger , thats why he is modifing the gun.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pitor View Post
    IMHO Kel-Tec has an awesone CS reputation and their products hold up the test of time with proper care.

Don't be hating on Kel-tec... Many of us here love em. I trust my PF-9 to the point to be my CCW of choice.

I have owned many Kel Tec products over the years and sold them for many years when I had my own gun store. I know their products as well as anyone on this forum. I am not "hating on them" as you say, but the fact is they sell at the price point they do for a good reason....KT is not giving them away. They do have good CS, but they get way to much practice at it. Other than Taurus products, Kel Tecs had more issues that had to be returned to the factory for repairs than any other firearm I sold. Thats just the facts based over a 6-7 years period. This is first hand experience I am talking about, no hear say or some crap somebody read somewhere and is just repeating. All makers produce a few lemons from time to time but KT needs to address the QC issues and if a slight increase in price gets you 15 minutes more of hand fitting and polishing of the internals at the factory it would be well worth it because their designs are innovative and solid. Many have no issues with their guns out of the box and most can be made to run well with the famous KT "fluff and buff" but that work should be done at the factory not by the customer. They do fill a niche that is needed (inexpensive, low end CCW) but I personally will just spend the extra funds and buy a higher quality, better fitted and reliable handgun....but thats just me, to each his own as they say.
    Last edited by pirate; June 18th, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
    mr surveyor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    A handgun should not need erasers
    Erasers belong on #2 pencils, not handguns.

IMHO is foolish not to perform this mod on an already superb pistol.
    Seems pointless to me. I like my PF-9 just the way it is, the way it came from the factory. Completely reliable and uncluttered. No "fluff and buff", no slip-on grip, and no erasers.

Talking

They are cheaper guns, but not "cheap" if you know what I mean. The DAO trigger has slight over travel. This mod is an excellent and inexpensive fix. The gun's size makes it snappy, making trigger control a top priority. This mod helps with that.

I stumbled upon this thread. I could have written this myself! I own a Kel-Tec PF-9 and carry it for self defense. I also have a Glock 17 and I use it for home and practice (I also practice with the Kel-Tec but only about 50 rounds a month). Both are excellent, and both serve their purpose.

Don
    --
    Don Montalvo
    Coppell, Texas
    http://linkedin.com/in/donmontalvo

With practice, you can learn to stage the trigger without a stop. What happens when you rely on the eraser to set up your stage and the eraser has fallen off?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donmontalvo View Post
    I stumbled upon this thread. I could have written this myself! I own a Kel-Tec PF-9 and carry it for self defense. I also have a Glock 17 and I use it for home and practice (I also practice with the Kel-Tec but only about 50 rounds a month). Both are excellent, and both serve their purpose.

Don
    Don, is that me?

Sounds like we both have similar setups. Although I did carry my G17 this weeked in a Fobus Serpa in its pancake config - wasn't bad!

-

OP - I certainly understand your reasoning for your mods & the benefit sounds intriguing. As someone else also mentioned, I'd have concern about such a mod possibly creating a malfunction during a time of need. As Ron asked previously, how are these pads affixed?

The Hogue Handall Jr. is requisite, & what a difference it makes! The PF-9 is a solid functioning firearm at a great price & I'm glad I have it.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links