PM9 Update

PM9 Update

This is a discussion on PM9 Update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally had some free time today (Friday), so I cleaned and oiled the Kahr PM9 and headed to the range. They recommend a 200-round ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Update

PM9 Update

I finally had some free time today (Friday), so I cleaned and oiled the Kahr PM9 and headed to the range. They recommend a 200-round break-in for this gun, so I picked up a 250-round box of Remington UMC 9mm hardball at Dick's Sporting Goods on the way. They didn't really have anything in 9mm defensive ammo except Winchester White Box. I declined. Once at the range, I bought two 20-count boxes of Speer Gold Dot 147-grain.

So on to the range. I decided to alternate between the two mags, the 6-round and the 7-round. Out of the box of 250, I had two failures. BUT... both came early, like within the first 50 rounds or so, and both were with the extended 7-round mag. After that, no problems. So then I moved on to the Gold Dot. I emptied each mag twice with these. Flawless.

So yeah, I'm happy!

Observations:

This trigger is like butter. There's a free steak dinner from me waiting for whoever designed this one!

It seemed to shoot low and left. But in all fairness, as nice as this trigger is, it could still be my technique. I'll work on it.

This was the first time I've fired 9mm +P. Honestly, in this particular gun they felt exactly like .45 ACP in my others. No kidding. This little round has some punch.

I'm thrilled! If any of you are on the fence about a PM9, I hereby give it my wholehearted recommendation.

Now what's taking that pocket holster so long to get here????

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Right on, congrats on the PM9

Low and left, huh? Dry practice ought to cure that.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post

It seemed to shoot low and left. But in all fairness, as nice as this trigger is, it could still be my technique. I'll work on it.
    I'll bet you that steak dinner its you. Low and left is by far the most common shooting error made.
    "Just blame Sixto"

sounds like the PM9 is going to work out great,congrats..i might have to get one to..

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll bet you that steak dinner its you. Low and left is by far the most common shooting error made.
    Yep. I had the exact same "issue" with my XD 45 Compact three years ago. In fact, I was researching how to adjust the sights!

But I finally came around and I'm much more accurate with it now. Still not quite "1911 accurate," but much better.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    So yeah, I'm happy!

You should be happy the PM9 is an outstanding CCW handgun

Low and left is normally a trigger control issue and trigger control is far and away the most important aspect of handgun accuracy. You may be using to much finger on the trigger and not pulling straight back. With a DAO/stricker fired handgun this is fairly common. Do some dry fire practice and watch what your finger and hand are doing when the trigger breaks. With the Kahr pistol with a long trigger travel its easy to pull a bit too much but the bottom line is these are not range guns and if you can hit center mass at 10-15 feet you are good. I can't really see any senario where you would shoot at a threat at a greater distance with a pocket gun. These are weapons of last recourse not combat sidearms.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I pick mine up on wednesday. Can't wait. Picked up 400rds if the federal cheap stuff at wally world break it in. well not all 400 lol. I'm glad to hear your report. So what's a good pd load to carry in these little bad boys? I'm thinking the speer short barrel stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    So what's a good pd load to carry in these little bad boys? I'm thinking the speer short barrel stuff.
    - I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P in my PM9, MK9 and Glock 19. It feeds well and is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    So what's a good pd load to carry in these little bad boys? I'm thinking the speer short barrel stuff.
    I don't own a PM9 but my favored 9mm defense round is the 147g Federal HST. Good luck finding them though. Second is 147g Speer gold dots.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Nice review, glad you like your PM9. I love mine too. If you're local to Tampa, I have a bunch of HST 147g both +P and standard pressure. I could sell you a few boxes. I carry the 147g +P in mine for carry.

Looks like you have a keeper, thanks for the report. Happy shooting..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Nice review, glad you like your PM9. I love mine too. If you're local to Tampa, I have a bunch of HST 147g both +P and standard pressure. I could sell you a few boxes. I carry the 147g +P in mine for carry.
    Thanks, but I'm quite a distance from there.

I really did like the Gold Dot 147g, though.

-miklcolt45

I like the Corbon +p 115gr JHP rounds. they have not failed me yet.

I'm hoping to add to the gun family a PM9 very soon.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I spent nearly all day yesterday looking for a PM9 to buy in the DFW area and couldn't find one. I am dying to get my hands on one, and this thread is killing me.

I guess I will just have to buy one off Gunbroker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links