Anyone take the finger grooves off a Glock?

This is a discussion on Anyone take the finger grooves off a Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a Glock 23 in cherry condition for a great deal. I had been looking hard at the police trade Gen 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take the finger grooves off a Glock?

I recently picked up a Glock 23 in cherry condition for a great deal. I had been looking hard at the police trade Gen 2 guns that were at a local shop for $325 as I don't really like the finger groove grip on the Gen 3 guns. The deal was too good to pass on, though, so I took the Gen 3. ($450 for the gun, which had been fired less than 1000 rounds and carried very little if at all, 5 mags and 7 and 3/4 50 round boxes of Gold Dots and Rangers)

I have shot the gun quite a bit since buying it and it is now my EDC. It handles well for me, but the finger ridges hit me in odd places on my hand as I have thick fingers.

My question is has anyone here minimized or ground off the finger grooves/ridges on a Glock? If so, can you share your experience with it? (maybe pics?)

My concerns are whether the grip durability/integrity would be hurt. Also, would grinding down the finger ridges make the grip unsightly or less "grippable"?

Thanks for your time!
    Ruffinit
    It is the aberration of statistics that you have to watch out for.

Remember: it isn't the SECOND person something happens to that is surprised by it.

you can cover them with gen2 decal grips.

http://www.decalgrip.com/sys-tmpl/pi...ures&UID=10046

Grinding down the grips will not hurt the integrity of the gun provided you don't grind it too far. I would file it down slightly at first and see how it feels. Then if you need to do more, you can. Also, stippling helps to improve grip.

I would suggest that you let a professional do it though, Bowie Tactical Concepts does stippling and many other modifications. They specialize in Glocks so they are your best bet.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    you can cover them with gen2 decal grips.

http://www.decalgrip.com/sys-tmpl/pi...ures&UID=10046
    I believe that he's talking about the frontstrap finger grooves.

Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

Bowie did a grip reduction/ finger groove removal for me. In a word- FANTASTIC!

A friend of mine did it with his Glock 19. I am not sure how I feel about it. I have gotten used to my 17 and 26. Though I want a 19 I have to decide if I like the grooves.

Now why on earth didn't Glock come out with an interchangeable front grip on the 4th gens instead of the interchangeable back strap, or both? Uh-oh! There I go wandering again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Now why on earth didn't Glock come out with an interchangeable front grip on the 4th gens instead of the interchangeable back strap, or both? Uh-oh! There I go wandering again.
    Just think if they would have tried something like what the H&K P30 has. Now that would have been something.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    I believe that he's talking about the frontstrap finger grooves.

oh, woops, i think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The finger grooves are a target pistol feature, providing 5 import points on the BATFE's score card. A Glock 17 could score the requisite 75 points without them, but a Glock 19 or 26, losing points for shorter length, wouldn't cut it. I guess Glock chooses to put them on all models, for a more homogeneous product line.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I had the same issue with my 19, the grooves hit my thick fingers in the wrong spot. I took a Dremel with a sanding drum and ground them down to level with the rest of the grip. It now fits my hand much better and after touching up with sandpaper, it does not look a lot different than stock. It only took about 10 minutes work.

Last edited by 303british; June 19th, 2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add image

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    I had the same issue with my 19, the grooves hit my thick fingers in the wrong spot. I took a Dremel with a sanding drum and ground them down to level with the rest of the grip. It now fits my hand much better and after touching up with sandpaper, it does not look a lot different than stock. It only took about 10 minutes work.

Very nice job!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    The finger grooves are a target pistol feature, providing 5 import points on the BATFE's score card. A Glock 17 could score the requisite 75 points without them, but a Glock 19 or 26, losing points for shorter length, wouldn't cut it. I guess Glock chooses to put them on all models, for a more homogeneous product line.
    Well, I guess that's why the compacts and sub-compacts only come with the target (serrated) triggers. I'm not too hot on homogeneous products myself. The two words just don't fit together to my thinking. Keep shooting straight, and there will be less questions. Glock on!

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    what about the Gen 2 G19?

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links