Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska

This is a discussion on Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guess so. see link below. Wow, don't want to have to face that, the problably thought it was a .44mag or .454 Casull. Backpacker shoots, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska

Man shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska

Guess so. see link below.

Wow, don't want to have to face that, the problably thought it was a .44mag or .454 Casull.

Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park - Yahoo! News
    Last edited by MichSteve; June 19th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Legal to carry, but illegal to discharge???

Sounds like something the antis should latch onto.......

I'd surely want something with a bit more penetration and punch, as well.

Anybody got a .308 NATO pistol handy?

Had a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44mag once. Stout little beasts, those, but even a hot .44mag out of a short barrel isn't going to have an overpowering amount of penetration and force for such a situation. A lever rifle in (at the very least) .44mag would feel much more comfortable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

They're lucky. I wouldn't want to face a Grizzly w/ a .45. It must have been ball ammo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Beat me to it
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

He's lucky, VERY lucky. If the bear had the energy to move 100 feet, he had the energy to continue the attack.

I wonder how big the grizzy bear was ??? Also if a .45 was all I had, I would make sure it would be a high capacity 45 like an XD or M&P with FMJ +P ammo and extra magazines....just in case any of the family or friends comes along God Bless

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to count on it every time, but it got the job done and they walked away, good enough in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

My sister spent a summer up in alaska at a fishing lodge, and somebody in the village shot a grizzly bear with I belive a .44mag but I can't be sure - sounds like it took all night to die. Another worker at the same fishing lodge also had a bear encounter and used bear spray and the thing stopped dead in its tracks and ran off. If I were in bear country in AK (or my home state of MT) I would carry a .44 (at least) however going against the gun crowd of the forum I think its wisest to try non lethal bear spray first. I think you're chances are better at overpowering the bears senses and making it think twice and give up or run than killing it in short order when it surprises you with a charge. I'd certainly take both options and hope the bear spray works first and go to option #2 if need be.

Here's my question, how can they allow carry in an area but then say you're not allowed to use your weapon if attacked? Isn't that like saying you're allowed to have your car on the street but are not allowed to drive?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Here's my question, how can they allow carry in an area but then say you're not allowed to use your weapon if attacked? Isn't that like saying you're allowed to have your car on the street but are not allowed to drive?
    I think they mean it is legal to carry, but illegal to discharge, just as it would be in any city, for instance. I'm sure that the extenuating circumstances (being attacked) would get him off the hook.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I read a report this year (I think from either AK or MT fish & game) that said that satistically, bear spray is a more effective defense against bears. Just make sure that the wind is not blowing back in your face
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I read a report this year (I think from either AK or MT fish & game) that said that satistically, bear spray is a more effective defense against bears. Just make sure that the wind is not blowing back in your face
    Thats what I have heard also. I would never rule out the lethal option, but like I said when its such a gamble you'd hit them hard enough, where it counts to incapacitate/kill them you're chances are better if you can completely overwhelm their senses and essentially incapacitate them by temporary blindness, severe irritation and convince them you're not worth it. A gunshot wound is much more localized and would probably make them more angry! Theres always the alternative option with the bear spray (or like someone said with a .22) is slow down your partner and make a break for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links