S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock

This is a discussion on S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 on M&P for the reasons already mentioned above...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock

+1 on M&P for the reasons already mentioned above

2. Remove Ads

I love my Glock but I know that love isn't shared by everyone. At the time I was getting my Glock, the M&P was the closest second in choice. So my non-Glock vote would be M&P9c.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    Good point on the reloads. The GLOCKS have as unsupported chamber that allows tha casing to swell. This means NO reloads if they have gone threw a GLOCK. Just food for thought.
    That's an old issue that has long since been corrected. All Glocks that are produced today come with the newer fully supported chamber. Pics to prove it.

S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock

Buy what you feel is comfortable to shoot, fits your budget and serves YOUR purpose. The M&P has a comfortable trigger, a slimmer profile and a more refined finish. The changeable grips is not much of an advantage unless you think your fingers will shorten or lengthen over time (one grip, one user). The more I tinkered with the XD, the less I am enamored by it. I don't like grip safeties on anything but a 1911. Polymer guns are supposed to be simple IMO, just squeeze the trigger. The XD is thicker and I don't care for the "loaded" indicators, either.

I get a big discount from Glock from the military discount, otherwise, I would have gotten the M&P.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

If you're starting from scratch, go for the M&P. This is coming from a Glock Guy!

My wife's EDC is an M&P 9C, mine is a G27 or LCP. Her M&P shoots very well and is extremely accurate. The only reason I don't carry one as well is that I'm pretty well committed to the 40 cal Glock platform- 3 pistols and a lot of ammo!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I traded my Sigs for Glocks in 9mm. I am a Glock fanboy. It is easy to find parts for them and they are easy to customize. Just about everybody makes a holster for them and they are easy to work on.

Don't forget the support Glock gives you. You can get a discount for joining the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation and also become a Glock Armorer. Something to think about.

kpw
    I have a new M&P 9c sitting here this morning. As of yesterday, we've put 150 WWB and 40 124+P GDs through it without a hitch. Accuracy was good. It's a nice pistol. Although the trigger is better than most of the M&Ps I've shot, it still sucks. That needs fixing. The backstraps are nice because the large fits my hand better than the medium or small. The sights are better than Glock standard sights by far. The grip is slicker than Glocks. It has a higher bore axis by a little bit but not as high as the XDs. Not much of a factor shooting 9mm but noticeable. The grip is short. I can barely get 3 fingers on the grip with the mag extension. With the flat base mag, my second finger has barely enough room to get comfortable.
    Do I prefer the Glock? That's a big yes! Best part of all about our new M&P is that my daughter loves it. I bought it for her and after shooting a bunch of different pistols, that's what she chose. Like anything else, they may not be for everyone but if they meet your needs, it'd be tough to find a better pistol.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Don't write off Glock just yet

I think they're great guns, but they just don't fit my hand. I've shot a few and all were uncomfortable for me to shoot.

The Glock that I was referring to with the heavy trigger was a G22. The specific gun was a police issue gun that I shot at their range.

Also, I should be more specific; one of my main questions was whether the M&P trigger is always that smooth and easy to pull.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    I think they're great guns, but they just don't fit my hand. I've shot a few and all were uncomfortable for me to shoot.

The Glock that I was referring to with the heavy trigger was a G22. The specific gun was a police issue gun that I shot at their range.

Also, I should be more specific; one of my main questions was whether the M&P trigger is always that smooth and easy to pull.
    The G22 probably had a NY trigger.

I don't know what you call smooth and easy but most M&Ps I've shot had a light mush followed by a fairly heavy break. Useable but in need of a tuneup.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The G22 probably had a NY trigger.

I don't know what you call smooth and easy but most M&Ps I've shot had a light mush followed by a fairly heavy break. Useable but in need of a tuneup.

+1. m&p triggers aren't great. it's good to upgrade them with an apex sear.

I'm glad I asked then. This gun had a very smooth and light trigger. I guess it was either upgraded, broken in, or an exception. Thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I traded my Sigs for Glocks in 9mm. I am a Glock fanboy. It is easy to find parts for them and they are easy to customize. Just about everybody makes a holster for them and they are easy to work on.

Don't forget the support Glock gives you. You can get a discount for joining the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation and also become a Glock Armorer. Something to think about.
    I was till I owned one and figured out the grips/grip angle was the worst id ever had and got rid of all of them lol.

I've owned an XD-9, own an M&P compact 9 and shot a few Glocks and an XD40c. I never warmed up to the grip angle or "dot in a box" sights on the glock (although I wanted to). The XD was dead reliable, had a great trigger and was very accurate. Although it was a little big for my hands, I regret getting rid of it - they're truly great guns. I'm still waiting to shoot my new M&P and install an Apex Tactical sear (factory trigger is horrible IMO) but it fits my hands like a glove.

This is just my experience. Shoot all of them and go with what feels right. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sig Sauer P229R .40
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Keltec PF9 Parkerized

Well I am sure that by now after reading all of the comments you see that you can't go wrong with either of these. I have shot them all and all are very nice guns. There is no questioning the reliability of the Glock as there are numerous torture test that has more than proven that. If you can handle the grip angle of the Glock, then that would be a great choice. But for me I couldn't get used to that grip angle, so I went with the M&P. The XD is a very nice firearm, but for me the M&P feels better in my hand than either of them. I curently own two of the M&P's, a full size 45, and the compact 9c. They have been 100% reliable with no glitches of any kind to date. I added a Crimson Trace Lasergrip to the 9c and it has been my primary everyday carry for about a year now and I love it. It is almost always carried in a TT Gunleather iwb holster and double mag carrier. I also have a Comptac CTAC holster & single mag carrier that I use for it. Both are very comfortable to me.
    YOU WILL HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!

IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Can't say enough about my XD9SC. I have shot Glock sub compacts and was sold on those until I fired the XD9C and then held the the SC once, and bought it on the spot! It was just a better fit and feel in my hand (which is large). I know very little about the M&P9c though, but will be educating myself now! I do recommend the XD series to anyone, terrific pistols hands down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links