S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock

This is a discussion on S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my local indoor range yesterday with some friends to shoot both some of our guns, and some of the guns the range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock

S&W M&P9c and XD9c vs. Glock

I went to my local indoor range yesterday with some friends to shoot both some of our guns, and some of the guns the range had as rentals (which are free on Friday's). I went there set on shooting the M&P9c, as I've been wanting a smaller CCW and it has been a serious consideration.

When we get to the range, we get our ammo, targets, assigned to a lane, and we each pick out a gun we want to shoot. I grab the M&P9c and my friend grabs the XD9c. I've shot Glocks a few times, and was expecting the M&P trigger to be somewhat tough. I was wrong. It as UNBELIEVABLY smooth and easy for a striker-fired gun. I went one lane over, the lane my friend was shooting at, and fired the XD9c. Same thing; although not as easy and smooth as the M&P, it was close. Both were much better than any Glock trigger I have fired.

My question is: is this common? Or, is it that these range guns have thousands of rounds through them and have been "broken-in?"

On a side note, I loved both guns and am now torn. I think I like the M&P more, but a new LGS/Range just down the street from the one I was at is selling the XD9c at just about $400. Even with the rebate, this still beats any M&P price I have found.

2. Remove Ads

You are going to spend more for the M&P but IMO it's well worth the money. With the lower bore axis, exchangable back strap on the grip and the stainless steel slide I think it's anno brainer. I have several and they all run like a clock and I have never had an issue with any of them. I should also mention that you get the great customer support from S&W if you ever do have a problem and they are hands down the best in this arena.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The little extra money is worth getting the M&P my friend is trying to off his XD9sc for a M&P9c my father, uncle and I all have M&P's and they are by far the best polymer guns we have shot (and are a top competitor on the market. I mean when you have police departments switch from Glocks that they have been buying for years and years over to issuing the M&P line-up, you know that means something.

As for the trigger there is an Apex trigger mod you can do for cheap that improves the trigger, although no one in my family has done because our M&P's have smooth triggers to begin with. Mine has 1600 plus rounds my fathers 800 plus rounds as for my uncles around 500 rounds. That 2900 plus rounds WITH OUT A SINGLE PROBLEM. American made Smith and Wesson. The rebate for the extra mags is well worth it. All the mags are interchangable with-in the same caliber. If I were you I'd get the 17rounders for the M&P9c so then you have two CC mags and two full size mags. As for any questions we have ever had dealing with customer service, they are fast, and commendable.
    Good luck,
    YouTube - Smith and Wesson M&P40 Part 1

YouTube - Smith and Wesson M&P40 Part 2

YouTube - Baby Glock vs. M&P 9c

YouTube - M&P vs XD
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I have the XD40SC. I can tell you the trigger smoothed out real fast. I have 1200 or more rounds through mine with no malfunctions. These are rugged guns built to last and Springfield Armory has as good a customer service reputation as any in the business.

+1 on the M&P, Great guns.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    All excellent weapons IMO. I own an XD40SC, and when I got it several years ago, I wasn't familar with the M&P offerings. I probable would have gotten an M&P or Glock instead, just because as I educate myself further, my tastes change. I still think its a GREAT weapon. My wife loves it, so it won't get sold. I might just have to add a Glock and M&P to the collection :-D

(Sorry, that doesn't help does it? )

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I just went through the same thing on the .40 side of the house. I was looking at the Sigma, the XD, and the 24/7 when the guy behind the counter asked me to try the M&P. Since I purchased mine, both my shooter sons have followed 'ol Dad's lead. The XD is a fine weapon; I simply like the M&P better. Don't forget the M&P's lifetime warranty, either...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

the m&p is a great platform for the 40cal. for 9mm, i would stick with glock--it'll feed any type of +P or +P+ jhp you put in it.

What triggers were in the Glocks that you fired? If they had NY1 or NY2 triggers that would make them feel heavier than the stock 5.5 that Glocks come with. They also may have had the 8# connector which is closer to the stock feel except right before it breaks, it becomes heavier.

My Glock 19 has several thousand rounds through it and the trigger is very well broken in.

Don't write off Glock just yet
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    the m&p is a great platform for the 40cal. for 9mm, i would stick with glock--it'll feed any type of +P or +P+ jhp you put in it.
    How about reloads for the Glock?

Get the m&p for sure. All are great, but the M&P and Glock are the way to go. By the way, I have owned all three and shot thousands of rounds in each.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Good point on the reloads. The GLOCKS have as unsupported chamber that allows tha casing to swell. This means NO reloads if they have gone threw a GLOCK. Just food for thought.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    Good point on the reloads. The GLOCKS have as unsupported chamber that allows tha casing to swell. This means NO reloads if they have gone threw a GLOCK. Just food for thought.
    I bring up the point of reloads because I am just starting to do it and with the economy and the price of ammo, it's a factor to some folks. By the way, the hex barrel is another reason why reloads and non jacketed lead are a no no in glocks.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

only pic i could find of the m&p chamber support (.40):

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    +1^ The M&P was built with the .40S&W round in mind, but will also feed ANY 9mm ammo as well just like the Glock
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Of the three makers mentioned, if I wasn't already invested in Glocks for my 9mm needs I would be looking very hard at the M&P. The XD is a very distant third.

If I wanted a Grip Safety I'd just carry my 1911. That's the main, but certainly not the only reason, for not considering the XD. If/When I get a new forty, it will most likely be the M&P.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links