Taurus PT111 millennium pro malfunction

Taurus PT111 millennium pro malfunction

This is a discussion on Taurus PT111 millennium pro malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FYI... I have a Taurus PT111 in 9mm. Was at the range doing two shot quick fire and apparently the return spring on the trigger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115

    Taurus PT111 millennium pro malfunction

    FYI... I have a Taurus PT111 in 9mm. Was at the range doing two shot quick fire and apparently the return spring on the trigger broke. The trigger went limp and rendered the gun useless.

    I'll stick to my M&P compact (357sig) I have lost all faith in the Taurus.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array searcher 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    4,152
    How many rounds has this PT111 had put through it before the spring broke?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

  3. #3
    Ape
    Ape is offline
    Member Array Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    194
    Not that I'm defending Taurus here or anything....... But ANYTHING mechanical is bound to break at some point. Not a matter of "IF" but rather "WHEN".

    That being said I can't say as I'd fault Taurus for a spring breaking?????
    Get yourself a new spring set from Wolf and start over would be my suggestion. ;)

  4. #4
    New Member Array rappken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9
    Sorry you had a problem with your PT111. Like the other person said, you can't fault Taurus for a broken spring. I'm sure the springs come from a "second party" supplier.

    I had to replace the same spring on my Beretta Cougar.

    I have a PT24/7 compact with thousands of rounds through it, and have never had a malfunction of any sort.

    My wife also has a PT709 "Slim" with a few hundred rounds through it. Again, to this point the gun has been flawless. It did shoot a little low and to the left when new. A quick sight adjustment fixed that. So far so good.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    Not that I'm defending Taurus here or anything....... But ANYTHING mechanical is bound to break at some point. Not a matter of "IF" but rather "WHEN".

    That being said I can't say as I'd fault Taurus for a spring breaking?????
    Get yourself a new spring set from Wolf and start over would be my suggestion. ;)
    It really depends on how many rounds are through the gun. If he has 5000 rounds through the gun and the spring broke then ok, could have happened to any gun. If he has 500 rounds through the gun and the spring broke...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  6. #6
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by rappken View Post
    Sorry you had a problem with your PT111. Like the other person said, you can't fault Taurus for a broken spring. I'm sure the springs come from a "second party" supplier.
    Wow - you guys are just jumping through hoops here to defend Taurus. Whose fault is it, if not Taurus'? The supplier? Come on - Taurus bought the spring from the supplier, if that is indeed the case, and they should have guaranteed the quality before installing it on something that could be called on to defend your life. Thank Goodness you weren't using it, at that moment, for its main intended purpose.

    Credit, and blame, where it's due.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  7. #7
    Member Array hihosilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    467
    i have a pt745 millpro that is a total piece. it was my 1st and last taurus...
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    How many rounds has this PT111 had put through it before the spring broke?
    Less than 500 rounds.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  9. #9
    Ape
    Ape is offline
    Member Array Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It really depends on how many rounds are through the gun. If he has 5000 rounds through the gun and the spring broke then ok, could have happened to any gun. If he has 500 rounds through the gun and the spring broke...
    Not true..... I don't own a Taurus and to be honest I've never even shot one IIRC? So I couldn't tell you from experience how bad or well they're made. However I do know some people who own some and love them. That being said....... I know of a few high dollar guns who've had issues right out of the box. You name it and I'll bet I've seen it or read about it.

    A bad spring is a bad spring. Whether it fails at round 1 or round 1,000, the metalurgy was faulty. And to blame Taurus for purchasing a spring with a fault in this one lone instance is a bit overkill don't you think? As far as I'm aware 90% or more of the gun makers out there use maybe 2 or 3 spring manufactuer's for all of their needs.

    The only reason I'm chiming in here is because it seems to me that if someone has an issue with a gun that didn't cost a grand or more, then all of the sudden the testosterone sharks swarm in to veil their disgust for that 500 dollar POS. This isn't High School where we still find the need to fit in by acting like sheep following the herd is it?
    So if so and so said such and such is a POS then that's what I'll tell everyone too.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    Not true..... I don't own a Taurus and to be honest I've never even shot one IIRC? So I couldn't tell you from experience how bad or well they're made. However I do know some people who own some and love them. That being said....... I know of a few high dollar guns who've had issues right out of the box. You name it and I'll bet I've seen it or read about it.

    A bad spring is a bad spring. Whether it fails at round 1 or round 1,000, the metalurgy was faulty. And to blame Taurus for purchasing a spring with a fault in this one lone instance is a bit overkill don't you think? As far as I'm aware 90% or more of the gun makers out there use maybe 2 or 3 spring manufactuer's for all of their needs.

    The only reason I'm chiming in here is because it seems to me that if someone has an issue with a gun that didn't cost a grand or more, then all of the sudden the testosterone sharks swarm in to veil their disgust for that 500 dollar POS. This isn't High School where we still find the need to fit in by acting like sheep following the herd is it?
    So if so and so said such and such is a POS then that's what I'll tell everyone too.
    I'm confused. It's sounds like we are both coming from the same point of view. What is it that I said that you disagree with?

    Edit - One thing to keep in mind. Please don't mistake some of our dis like for Taurus as a dislike for lower cost guns. Many of us that don't trust Taurus don't trust them because of their reputation or our own experiences. I have NO issue with low cost guns. I think the kel-tec p3at and PF9 are FANTASTIC weapons. I purchased and trust my mothers life to a 300 dollar Bersa Thunder .380. I don't dislike low cost guns, I dislike crappy guns.

    And by the way. I don't own a gun that costs over 500.00. My 1911 is a bare bones GI model that I traded a S&W sigma and 100 bucks for. . I carry a 500.00 Glock 26. My home defense shotgun is a 300.00 Remintgon 870. My pocket gun is a 329.00 LCP. I'm no gun snob. I am however a quality snob and I have no problem admitting that.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Less than 500 rounds.
    If the trigger spring broke after 500 rounds I probably wouldn't trust the gun even after it is repaired. I admit, I am a bit jaded as I had 2 Taurus pistols fail on me multiple times so I tend not to trust them anymore.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  12. #12
    Ape
    Ape is offline
    Member Array Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm confused. It's sounds like we are both coming from the same point of view. What is it that I said that you disagree with?

    Edit - One thing to keep in mind. Please don't mistake some of our dis like for Taurus as a dislike for lower cost guns. Many of us that don't trust Taurus don't trust them because of their reputation or our own experiences. I have NO issue with low cost guns. I think the kel-tec p3at and PF9 are FANTASTIC weapons. I purchased and trust my mothers life to a 300 dollar Bersa Thunder .380. I don't dislike low cost guns, I dislike crappy guns.

    And by the way. I don't own a gun that costs over 500.00. My 1911 is a bare bones GI model that I traded a S&W sigma and 100 bucks for. . I carry a 500.00 Glock 26. My home defense shotgun is a 300.00 Remintgon 870. My pocket gun is a 329.00 LCP. I'm no gun snob. I am however a quality snob and I have no problem admitting that.
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't calling you a snob persay..... Just commenting on the snob mentality that's so prevalant on gun forums. My only disagreement with you was that it seemed to me as if you were saying if the spring failed within 500 rounds then the gun must be junk. And I wouldn't agree to that no matter what kind of gun it was. A spring makes not a gun. To me that's like blaming bad ammo on the gun maker. Just doesn't make sense IMO.

    Now perhaps if the slides were cracking in a certain spot over and over again with hard proof.... Or maybe the extractors were breaking in half repeatedly.... Or the gun maker kept rushing guns to market and then inevitibly having huge recall's, or something of that nature that can be directly related to the gun maker.....Then yes! It's worthy of stearing clear of IMO.

    Whether you realize it or not, or intend to or not, you perpetuate gun snob mentality when you say things like "
    Many of us that don't trust Taurus don't trust them because of their reputation
    " And "reputation is a very slippery slope that's more often than not based on hear say and at best, limited samples of experience. Once again just like being in school and having people get "reputations" by one small incident which is then expounded into a different reality by rumors. Or much like "polls" that are taken from a small segment of society and then pushed in front of us to prove one angle on a theory as if they were a fact of all people. Just doesn't stand up to hard facts in my book.

    I own plenty of guns, some more than 500 bucks each and some less than that. I too appreciate quality in my guns. And admittedly, a few of my less expensive guns aren't made from "high quality" materials. However they run and function just as well (if not better at times) as some of my more expensive guns. But my main point of contention here is that ALL things mechanical will break. And even the most high tech of materials combined with the best of R&D to ensure quality, wont eliminate the possibility of a faulty part. So to have a spring break is a very minor infraction with all things mechanical to me. I don't know about you but I have back up springs for all of my guns. Not to mention a few other back up parts besides springs jsut in case.

  13. #13
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    Not that I'm defending Taurus here or anything....... But ANYTHING mechanical is bound to break at some point. Not a matter of "IF" but rather "WHEN".

    That being said I can't say as I'd fault Taurus for a spring breaking?????
    Get yourself a new spring set from Wolf and start over would be my suggestion. ;)
    I agree with you, mechanical things are bound to break at some point. Unfortunately, when talking about Taurus it happens way too soon and way too often.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  14. #14
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Wow - you guys are just jumping through hoops here to defend Taurus. Whose fault is it, if not Taurus'? The supplier? Come on - Taurus bought the spring from the supplier, if that is indeed the case, and they should have guaranteed the quality before installing it on something that could be called on to defend your life. Thank Goodness you weren't using it, at that moment, for its main intended purpose.

    Credit, and blame, where it's due.
    If Taurus wanted to get quality parts to their handguns then they would never be able to keep their low prices. You get what you pay for.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't calling you a snob persay..... Just commenting on the snob mentality that's so prevalant on gun forums. My only disagreement with you was that it seemed to me as if you were saying if the spring failed within 500 rounds then the gun must be junk. And I wouldn't agree to that no matter what kind of gun it was. A spring makes not a gun. To me that's like blaming bad ammo on the gun maker. Just doesn't make sense IMO.

    Now perhaps if the slides were cracking in a certain spot over and over again with hard proof.... Or maybe the extractors were breaking in half repeatedly.... Or the gun maker kept rushing guns to market and then inevitibly having huge recall's, or something of that nature that can be directly related to the gun maker.....Then yes! It's worthy of stearing clear of IMO.

    Whether you realize it or not, or intend to or not, you perpetuate gun snob mentality when you say things like " " And "reputation is a very slippery slope that's more often than not based on hear say and at best, limited samples of experience. Once again just like being in school and having people get "reputations" by one small incident which is then expounded into a different reality by rumors. Or much like "polls" that are taken from a small segment of society and then pushed in front of us to prove one angle on a theory as if they were a fact of all people. Just doesn't stand up to hard facts in my book.

    I own plenty of guns, some more than 500 bucks each and some less than that. I too appreciate quality in my guns. And admittedly, a few of my less expensive guns aren't made from "high quality" materials. However they run and function just as well (if not better at times) as some of my more expensive guns. But my main point of contention here is that ALL things mechanical will break. And even the most high tech of materials combined with the best of R&D to ensure quality, wont eliminate the possibility of a faulty part. So to have a spring break is a very minor infraction with all things mechanical to me. I don't know about you but I have back up springs for all of my guns. Not to mention a few other back up parts besides springs jsut in case.
    If you want to try to make the argument that me saying that many of us that don't trust Taurus don't trust them because of their reputation I invite you to do a test. Open to browser tabs. in one tab Google "Taurus Problems" in the other tab Google "Glock Problems" See how the two compare. My saying Taurus has a bad reputation isn't perpetuating the gun snob mentality, Taurus making low quality gun perpetrates that they have a bad reputation. I guess what I am trying to say is don't blame me for taurus making a low quality product. There are plenty of other manufactures out there that make a QUALITY product for the same price as Taurus that don't have half of the issues.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Taurus Millennium PT111 and IWB holster
    By deafdave3 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
  2. Taurus Millennium Pro
    By Spoon in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: April 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
  3. Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro (mini-range report and comments)
    By rfleming in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
  4. MILLENNIUM PRO PT111 9mm PISTOL
    By pzlehr in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: August 25th, 2006, 11:40 PM
  5. Taurus Millennium Pro Titanium
    By F350 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 8th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Search tags for this page

how to adjust sights on taurus pt111
,

pt111 millennium pro

,
pt111 parts
,

pt111 pro

,

pt111 pro sights

,
taurus millenium pro 9mm problems
,
taurus pt111 millenium pro parts
,
taurus pt111 millenium pro problems
,

taurus pt111 millennium pro problems

,
taurus pt111 millennium pro sights
,

taurus pt111 pro

,

taurus pt111 problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors