Defensive Carry banner

Taurus PT111 millennium pro malfunction

9K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
FYI... I have a Taurus PT111 in 9mm. Was at the range doing two shot quick fire and apparently the return spring on the trigger broke. The trigger went limp and rendered the gun useless.

I'll stick to my M&P compact (357sig) I have lost all faith in the Taurus.

#3 ·
Not that I'm defending Taurus here or anything....... But ANYTHING mechanical is bound to break at some point. Not a matter of "IF" but rather "WHEN".

That being said I can't say as I'd fault Taurus for a spring breaking?????
Get yourself a new spring set from Wolf and start over would be my suggestion. ;)

#5 ·
It really depends on how many rounds are through the gun. If he has 5000 rounds through the gun and the spring broke then ok, could have happened to any gun. If he has 500 rounds through the gun and the spring broke...

#4 ·
Sorry you had a problem with your PT111. Like the other person said, you can't fault Taurus for a broken spring. I'm sure the springs come from a "second party" supplier.

I had to replace the same spring on my Beretta Cougar.

I have a PT24/7 compact with thousands of rounds through it, and have never had a malfunction of any sort.

My wife also has a PT709 "Slim" with a few hundred rounds through it. Again, to this point the gun has been flawless. It did shoot a little low and to the left when new. A quick sight adjustment fixed that. So far so good.

#6 ·
Sorry you had a problem with your PT111. Like the other person said, you can't fault Taurus for a broken spring. I'm sure the springs come from a "second party" supplier.
Wow - you guys are just jumping through hoops here to defend Taurus. Whose fault is it, if not Taurus'? The supplier? Come on - Taurus bought the spring from the supplier, if that is indeed the case, and they should have guaranteed the quality before installing it on something that could be called on to defend your life. Thank Goodness you weren't using it, at that moment, for its main intended purpose.

Credit, and blame, where it's due.

#20 ·
I've seen, read and heard of many problems with Taurus. But, that's not the end all, be all of quality for me. Customer service with Taurus is probably one of the worst in the industry. This, I believe, is well documented. As a dealer who has had to send weapons back to Taurus for service, I can personally attest to it. The usual turn around time for a repair under warranty is 6 > 8 weeks. That's enough for me not to buy their product. But yeah, they're cheap.

#21 ·
That's what I've been saying all along. I totally believe 100% that there are some Taurus pistols out there that have been second to none in reliability. If either of mine had been like that, then I would trust them.

But it seems to me that there's a connection between the slow customer service and the initial quality control; if the guns were sent out in a better state, then the RMA department wouldn't be so busy.

#24 ·
You need to understand why some of the folks that have been around handguns for a long time seem to always want to get a little bash or a "dig" in on Taurus.

It is not because they are just repeating Internet diatribe.

At one time (way back when & long ago) Taurus had absolutely the worst possible reputation for producing firearms.

They looked OK but, they had major function related problems and the failure rate (in general) was very high.

I know that for a fact because I lived through the Taurus Catastrophic Failure era.
Catastrophic Failure defined as an instant, unexpected, major failure that would render the firearm totally useless/inoperable.

Failures like flicking off a Thumb Safety and just having the part break right in half.

Buying a Taurus handgun back then was a literal crap-shoot.

Some gun dealers were refusing to stock anything Taurus - Shooting ranges pulled them from their rental selection and folks that purchased them were either constantly sending them back for numerous repeated repairs or they were just ultimately giving up on them and chucking them into the nearest deep river.

It was a very bad time for Taurus.

Things related to QC have improved much with Taurus since those dark days but some people have long memories and some shooters don't trust them still and never will...because of the large number of critical parts that remain MIM (metal injected molded) as VS investment cast or forged / machined.

So that is basically where the multitudes of negative Taurus comments originate from.

Just FYI and the truth as I know it.

That does not mean that its not possible to purchase a Taurus firearm that functions perfectly TODAY...but, that IS why many seasoned shooters remain jaded and still refuse to trust them.

#26 ·
You need to understand why some of the folks that have been around handguns for a long time seem to always want to get a little bash or a "dig" in on Taurus.

It is not because they are just repeating Internet diatribe.

At one time (way back when & long ago) Taurus had absolutely the worst possible reputation for producing firearms.

They looked OK but, they had major function related problems and the failure rate (in general) was very high.

I know that for a fact because I lived through the Taurus Catastrophic Failure era.
Catastrophic Failure defined as an instant, unexpected, major failure that would render the firearm totally useless/inoperable.

Failures like flicking off a Thumb Safety and just having the part break right in half.

Buying a Taurus handgun back then was a literal crap-shoot.

ome gun dealers were refusing to stock anything Taurus - Shooting ranges pulled them from their rental selection and folks that purchased them were either constantly sending them back for numerous repeated repairs or they were just ultimately giving up on them and chucking them into the nearest deep river.

It was a very bad time for Taurus.

Things related to QC have improved much with Taurus since those dark days but some people have long memories and some shooters don't trust them still and never will...because of the large number of critical parts that remain MIM (metal injected molded) as VS investment cast or forged / machined.

So that is basically where the multitudes of negative Taurus comments originate from.

Just FYI and the truth as I know it.

That does not mean that its not possible to purchase a Taurus firearm that functions perfectly TODAY...but, that IS why many seasoned shooters remain jaded and still refuse to trust them.
Well I've been shooting guns for about 37 years now. And I've owned my own guns for most of that time. And I also know all about Taurus's reputation early on. I also know that they've been much better in the quality department in recent years.
But my contention here and now is the willingness to condemn a gun for a broken spring. More than anything however, I'd like to see more people make informed choices through current day proof rather than internet diatribe. ;)

How many here condemed Ruger in the 90's for kow towing to Klinton's strong arming and swore they'd never buy another Ruger as long as they lived? Mostly internet bravado based on "some" facts and a LOT of rumors and speculation. I for one was disgusted with them back then and swore them off. However I've since learned more about the situation and have more of a real world grasp on what happened. I own a few Rugers and love them all.
But should I ban them to a junk maker since they repeatedly copy other gun makers guns and then rush them to market? Only to have them recalled repeatedly????

Not trying to start an argument over Rugers policies or integrity. Just trying to make my point that the internet is a great place for learning! But it's also a terrible place that seems to give free reign to misguided macho bravado. ;)

#27 ·
Springs are tricky things. It's possible for any firearm to have a poorly hardened, tempered, or nicked spring as the firearm comes from the factory.

No argument there.

Luckily as far as most defective springs are concerned they usually fail (one way or another) right away.

I have actually made some flat & leaf type springs and (years ago) replacement automatic knife springs hand filed - then hardened and tempered from annealed spring stock.

If you don't harden and temper them back exactly right...you sure will know it right quick and you'll quickly be making another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.