Help with rusting

This is a discussion on Help with rusting within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guy's I need some help with this One my EDC is show a small amount of rust . My Kel- Tec P3AT its showing ...

Thread: Help with rusting

Help with rusting

Hey Guy's I need some help with this

One my EDC is show a small amount of rust .

My Kel- Tec P3AT its showing rust around the one side of slide.

Its a pocket carry about a year and a half old (bought new).

Its not due to neglet its cleaned after every use .

Its cleaned and oiled monthly even if not fired .

Is there a product that I can get to get this off and keep it off.

The P3AT has been a regular EDC for say last 6 months

Due to summer type cloths .

2. Remove Ads

Get a silicone gun cloth and keep it next to where you put your gun when you take it out/off each night. Give it a quick wipe down each night or each morning when you do a chamber check (you do check the chamber before you head out, right?).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I like to use weaponshield. I have never had a rusting prolem with it
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

GM
    I had the same problem with one of my stainless steel semi. I used Flitz and/or silver polish on the slide to remove the rust, but it kept coming after just a few days. At the end it was pit rust on the frame; I tried Gunzilla, which many people recommend, but it did not help; the rust was still there. Since I could not remove the frame rust by myself I sent pistol to repolish. Now I use Eezox - Eezox - The triple action solution to gun care - and the rust never came back; that thing is really amazing, you have to try it in order to understand how good it is!
    Last edited by GM; June 20th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Moderator
    Get the rust off of it and then WAX the gun. Use a good paste wax like you use on a car. Rub it in. The wax will serve as a barrier to the rust.

It works well. I carry one of several SIGS which will rust if you sweat on them and I sweat alot. The wax is about the only thing I have found that works that dosent leave a grease slick on you or your clothes.

Try it, you like it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Smile

You do not say what finish you have on your Kel-Tec. I am assuming it is not the stainless finiish. If it is the parkerized or blue they can be tough here in Florida. My handguns are either Glocks or stainless except the Beretta which is blued and gets very little carry. All of the suggestions that have been given are good but to be honest with you I would consider a different finish for this type of climate and your close to the body type of wear. My .02. Good Luck.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Another recommendation for Eezox
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Get the rust off of it and then WAX the gun. Use a good paste wax like you use on a car. Rub it in. The wax will serve as a barrier to the rust.

It works well. I carry one of several SIGS which will rust if you sweat on them and I sweat alot. The wax is about the only thing I have found that works that dosent leave a grease slick on you or your clothes.

Try it, you like it.
    I've heard this before, and apparently it does work.
    No....rust is not always a sign of neglect. Surface rust can be removed with a small amount of work and the right stuff. Once pitting, or actually embedded in the metal below the surface it's harder to deal with. I would suggest removing surface rust with Rem oil and 0000 steel wool. Oil frequently as the oil will suspend the particles and keep them from scratching the finish or blue. Preventive measures....well, I'm going with Gunzilla now, and maybe my Glocks finish is superior to some when it comes to the rust invasion, but it can happen and I've seen it. Another good product that I swore by before Gunzilla was Shooter's Choice rust prevent. This one actually leaves a film on the firearm if left to dry, and you can treat for short or long term storage with it.
    I know how it feels to see some rust on any of my firearms. I've even seen a few spots on my stainless steel P220 slide now and then....but I take care of them post haste and do my best to do PM (preventive maintenance) and keep it at bay. Good luck with it all and be safe.

By the way.........I would never recommend using WD-40 on any firearm for any reason. Just in case I was thinking what anybody else might be thinking. Don't mind me, I'm like that sometimes.

rust

I'm new here. First Post, but I've been around guns all my life.

About the rust, Get yourself some good machine oil. That will remove the rust without sanding or whatever that may harm the rest of your weapon's finish. Clean well. Then use a good carnuba floor or car wax.

I learned this trick while into black powder pistols and rifles. Black powder is bad for finishes, but while using the machine oil and wax, I hardly ever had a problem with rust.

P.S. Is the side that is rusting the side that faces your body while carrying? Perspiration (sweat) is also bad for weapon finishes.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Try it, you like it.
    Renaissance Wax is very good and it can be used on stainless or blued guns, the problem is that it does not reach all parts like a fluid does. Furthermore, the wax does not remove the rust, Eezox does and it can be used on blued guns too. Fitz too can be used on blued guns to remove surface rust, but it does not remove or prevent rust as well as Eezox does.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...ssance_wax.pdf

Renaissance Wax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First, you've got to remove all rust to stop it. I don't use WD-40. It get gummy as it dries.
    You need to look beyond "gun products" for the FL humidity and the sweat it causes. Most gun oils don't have the staying power and have to be applied frequently. Might have to think outside the "gun" box for this.

Look for more "industrial" type rust/corrosion products in tool/hardware type stores. Look for "Boeshield T-9."

I put the T-9 on an old shotgun, and once it dries, you can't see/feel it. Not a speck of rust. I think I got the Boeshield at a marine/boating store. It's made by the Boeing Co. Lists "gun surfaces" as one of its uses. Good stuff. It a combo of solvent/oil/wax and leaves a thin film. Won't hurt plastics, vinyls, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links