Things you would do to "perfect" a Kahr CW9?

This is a discussion on Things you would do to "perfect" a Kahr CW9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always reading about how people do this or that to perfect their guns for their personal use. The most I've ever done was put a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things you would do to "perfect" a Kahr CW9?

Always reading about how people do this or that to perfect their guns for their personal use. The most I've ever done was put a Hogue grip on my CZ 75B.

I know that I am going to get the trijicon or hi-viz sights for my incoming CW9 but are there any other things that a lot of people are doing? I notice probably the most popular is some kind of grip mod such as the Hogue or Pachmeyer rubber sleeves, grip tape, a-grip and custom stipling.

I've seen custom packages like C&S's one where they do a bunch of internal stuff and round the edges...is that really necessary or a huge difference vs. the cost?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I put an A-Grip on my Kahr P9. I wish there was a laser that would not limit my holster options, but there isn't. I've thought about Duracoating it, but i can't decide on what color scheme would aid in concealment. The only other things I would do are so radical that I might as well get a different gun.

I put an A-grip from Khar on mine. It worked great until I sent it to Khar for service and it came back dripping with excess oil and found that the oil dissolved the adhesive.

I'd really like to be able to put a pair of TFO night sights (fiber optic plus tritium), but there's no front dovetail for this.

I find the grip a little narrow, so it's hard to grip the gun exactly the same way each time, which makes muscle memory development less precise than I want. I've experimented with increasing the width of the grip and contouring it to my hand by building up areas with 3M's blue painter's masking tape to see if I could get the gun to lock into the same position each time I draw it. Have had some success, but not satisfied yet.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. And I'm not interested in doing anything decorative.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I had a P9(basically the same gun), and after about 500 rounds, I completely detail stripped the gun, taking note of its function with regard to specifice parts... then I polished down all the contacting surfaces of the individual parts. That gun was absolutely smooth as butter! Most Kahrs feel fairly rough, atleast when new, but apolishing bit on your dremel and some Flitz will smooth things out. Its a little bit of work, but you can find a Kahr disassembly insructional online, and it can all be done with a couple basic tools and some patience.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I would stick to the simple stuff. Probably just a Houge Grip, night sights, and maybe a CT laser grip.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My CW9 wasn't very reliable. I wish it were, it was otherwise a nice gun.

The trigger reach is too short on all of my Kahrs... it feels more like a toy... my finger is almost pointing back at me by the time the gun fires. This could be inproved with a thicker trigger and a longer trigger guard to accomodate one's finger. Perhaps just a different shape to the trigger would help some. Moving the trigger further away from the grip would improve "shootability" a great deal IMHO.

I prefer three dot sights to the standard dot-on-dot offered on all Kahrs.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I had the Trijicon night sights installed on my CW9 back during the winter, and other than that the only things I need to add to it are more bullets and more trigger time.

surv

I think Mr. Surveyor had it right with the simple addition of tritium sights. K.I.S.S. is the word. The more you do to that gun, the less you have of that inexpensive practicality you probably bought it for.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Convert it into a Glock?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Convert it into a Glock?
    I was thinking the same thing, but in response to the OP, I would only add night sights and trigger time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You probably don't "need" to do anything but the Kahr platform is great to work on. My .40 has all kinds of external and internal work. I even jewelled the chamber area of the barrel for practice. With the smooth flat sides it's easy to polish the slide bright and fancy if you like. If I ever suddenly got brave enough to try engraving.....

But really the gun works fine as it is. I've never had any issues with my .40 other than it kicked too much when I was recovering from a hand injury so I went to a 9mm. No fault of the gun.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The polishing sounds interesting but ultimately I would mess that up or put stuff back wrong. Maybe if I find someone to help.

I am gonna leave the gun stock for a while until I REALLY know what I want but thank you all for giving me some thoughts on options. Probably the only mods at first would be the upgraded sights and some kind of grip.

trade it for a glock

Just night sights.

Night sights....and either make the slide naked from that shop project engraving of the brand mark and model they put on it or engrave it like they do the P9. Then have the sharp corners melted.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links