Need Assistance with J-Frame Rubber Boot Grips

This is a discussion on Need Assistance with J-Frame Rubber Boot Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Product: J Synthetic Boot Grip with S&W Logo Product: J Round Boot Grip Uncle Mike's (No Logo) Anyone know the differences between these two? Are ...

Thread: Need Assistance with J-Frame Rubber Boot Grips

Need Assistance with J-Frame Rubber Boot Grips

Product: J Synthetic Boot Grip with S&W Logo

Product: J Round Boot Grip Uncle Mike's (No Logo)

Anyone know the differences between these two? Are they the same length? I'm thinking they're very similar but the S&W logo grip appears to have slicker, less grippy rubber. I assume they'll both have the exposed backstrap, but if that's what I gotta do to get short grips, so be it. Putting 'em on a 640-1 .357 for appendix carry.

2. Remove Ads

They look the same. I have the Uncle Mikes on my 60 and 640. Great little grips. Perfect for appendix carry.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Don't see much difference. I have the Uncle Mikes and they're excellent on a 640.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OK, so I ordered both. FWIW, if you order from S&W's website, be prepared for a long wait - ground ship was over 7 days - not sure how long, as I was outta town after that (really wanted to get 'em before my trip). Oh well, not end of the world.

In the meantime, I did some reading and read that grips which leave the backstrap exposed will have a shorter trigger reach; good for folks with small hands like mine.

As I suspected:
    * Despite looking like the banana grips, the two-finger S&W grips leave the backstrap exposed.
    * textured area on Uncle Mikes is sharper.

The S&W's have shinier rubber, but I don't think it is less grippy.

From left, 640-1 wearing new S&W's, with factory S&W Bananas and Uncle Mike's

I've been carrying it with the bananas, which feel like the same rubber compound, I have managed to gouge them in quite a few places... dunno if the Uncle Mike's would do that or not. Also, my buddy has the Uncle Mike's, and he found the vertical rib near the top objectionable; the S&W's don't have that rib. I suspect both sets of grips shoot and carry very similarly.

I have both, and prefer the S&W grips on my 642, when it's not wearing Barami Hip Grips or a really vintage set of Tyler Ivorex grips I had the pleasure of buying from the late Mr. Melvin Tyler himself..

I've found the new "fishscale" grips to be a bit slicker than the old Uncle Mike's grips. Also, I prefer the three finger grips.
    642-CorBon-Mika

For appendix carry, you may want to try the old wood factory grips and a Tyler T Grip. This setup doesn't seem to drag on clothes as much as rubber does. It's also a slim fit for pocket carry.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PhotomanCC View Post
    I've found the new "fishscale" grips to be a bit slicker than the old Uncle Mike's grips. Also, I prefer the three finger grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    ... if that's what I gotta do to get short grips, so be it.
    The whole point here was to get two finger grips! :)

Quote Originally Posted by halesb View Post
    For appendix carry, you may want to try the old wood factory grips and a Tyler T Grip. This setup doesn't seem to drag on clothes as much as rubber does. It's also a slim fit for pocket carry.
    Thought about that, mostly for the good looks! (Tyler T-Grip & nice wood stocks look slick!) Read that for most folks the rubber grips provide a little better control... didn't even think about 'em being thinner. Ah well, at this point in time I am not spending any more $ on grips for this gun.

most folks the rubber grips provide a little better control
    The Smith fish scale grips worked pretty good too, they definitely handled the recoil a bit better. I have some Hogue Bantam grips for a J frame, and they felt great, just a tad oversized. I might switch back to them later...
    Attached Images

For a two finger, J frame grip, it's hard to beat Craig Spegel's boot grips and they look good too! I recommend the checkered version.
    642-CorBon-Mika

Links